GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game prices, is it worth it?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/09/03 at 21:59
Regular
So, Ps2 games what's the average price 30-50 pounds normally but what are you getting thats better than the 20-30 pounds that you'd pay for the same game on PC i'm baffled i mean games on PS2 are averaging at around 10 pounds more on PS2 than on PC. e.g take my local gamestation, The new Tomb Raider, 20 pounds brand new on PC yet 26.99 second hand on Playstation 2. I mean I'm a fan of Playstation and some of the games are amazing but now i've started saving mone by buying PC games that are just as good as Playstation Games. Also Playstation has hardley got any War games like Warrior Kings Battles which i happen to like.
Lets see who wants to point out advantages of buying Ps2 games.......
Fri 03/10/03 at 15:37
Regular
"Complete Banker"
cipro wrote:
> I have two consoles and a PC, and am currently devoting all my free
> time on PC gaming. The reason being is these next few months is
> seeing the release of a plethora of great games for the PC, all of
> which appeal to me a great deal more than what can currently be found
> on consoles.

While there are some quality games due out on the PC, I probably won't buy them for the simple fact that I do not have the time to devote necessary to get the most of these games.

I focus on PS2 games, most of which can be played for an hour at a time.
Fri 03/10/03 at 14:54
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Edgy wrote:
> Most PC games are pap though. I mean, I don't think me local
> retailers have ever sold a copy of Horse Racing Manager.

Barbie Horse Adventure for the PS2 is currently in stock on this very site.

I have two consoles and a PC, and am currently devoting all my free time on PC gaming. The reason being is these next few months is seeing the release of a plethora of great games for the PC, all of which appeal to me a great deal more than what can currently be found on consoles.
Fri 03/10/03 at 14:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Edgy wrote:
> PC games are nearly always released at £34.99, except for Enter
> the Matrix which I believe retailed at £39.99.

Yikes, where do you shop for games? Higest price I've seen a newly released PC game is £29.99, and I've even bought new releases for as little as £22.99 or even £17.99.
Fri 03/10/03 at 01:10
"I love yo... lamp."
Conkers Bad Fur Day released at £59.99.

I saw an import game today for £75. Doesn't count, but I thought I would mention it anyway.
Fri 03/10/03 at 00:11
Regular
Just after I posted that message I wandered along to a rival game sales site of here and bought a barrel load of games :D

Pre-ordered Pro-Evo 3 and Mario Kart, bought KOTOR, Devil May Cry 2, Onimusha 2 and Jak and Daxter, for £120, well, I did say I would spend £120 on 6 games, so I did :D
Thu 02/10/03 at 23:28
Regular
Just a quick response to the original message:

I've seen games released at £19.99, one, if I remember correctly, was released at £14.99

The most I've seen a game released for is £49.99 which was Socom and the microphone. (excludes the rarely available Steel Batallion on Xbox)

PC games are nearly always released at £34.99, except for Enter the Matrix which I believe retailed at £39.99.

So, considering most console games have an RRP of £39.99, you're only saving £5 per game IF that game is ever released on PC.

Most PC games are pap though. I mean, I don't think me local retailers have ever sold a copy of Horse Racing Manager.
Thu 02/10/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Goatboy wrote:
> Your PC must suck.

My PC stopped sucking when I chucked it out and spent £1100 quid on a new one. The old one was 3 years old :(

My PS2 is 3 years old too. Luckily it won't cost me £1100 quid in the near future to replace it.
Thu 02/10/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> PC - Buy game, take home, read 125 page manual, pop disc in, install,
> pop disc 2 in, install, pop disc 3 in, install, read first section of
> manual again in detail to discover why it isn't running, open 30 page
> ReadMe.txt and download latest patch, play, crash, download latest
> update, play, visit the official forums to find out why the
> GnargleBasher doesn't drop the StarBangledWhip and discover there's a
> fix for it in the next update due in a few weeks.
--

Your PC must suck.
Only games I've had problems with are EA ones, because they in fact, suck balls.
Thu 02/10/03 at 15:11
"Genius!"
Here is another point pc games are cheaper though:
PC games if you buy broadband you pay monthly but if you do online on ps2 and pay per minute for a whole month it would cost much much more than just normal pc online gaming.
Thu 02/10/03 at 13:15
Regular
Not really, see, the games industry sucks.

The reason console games cost £40 a pop is due to licensing costs from the console manufacturers to allow developers to produce games on their consoles.

The big companies aren't content with allowing anyone to make really good games for their systems to try to punt a few more, what they actually want to do is licence out the ability to produce games and effectively make developers pay a premium to release good software.

That's why you will see identical games come out for the PC at least a tenner cheaper despite the PC being a more complicated development environment and much more prone to piracy than any other platform.

Put basically, console manufacturers get a slice of whatever you pay for that latest and greatest game. AS well as the publisher, the developer, the retail chain you buy it from, the marketing company and any 3rd party companies which work is farmed out to in terms of artwork, sound effects, licencing technologies (i.e. game engines, compression systems, la la).

Basically what you are doing when buying a console game is giving a little bit of money to a lot of people.

I know how hard it is though. I walked around virgin, hmv and game yesterday thinking if games were only £20 for the new releases, I would buy three right now, £60 would only buy me a single full price and a budget game at that rate, it's just not right.

So I'm off to finish FFX, GTA:Vice City and be content with the games I've got. I'll chip in for KOTOR on my Xbox, and maybe Mario Kart for my Cube before Christmas, but at the state of play in the games industry at the moment, that's all I'll be buying, oh, don't forget the already pre-ordered Pro Evo 3, but that's £120 between now and Christmas, where the same amount could have bought me games at a price i'm willing to be at a more constant rate.

Boo hoo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.