GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Complete numpty question alert..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/04/10 at 23:45
Regular
Hi,

I am thinking a home intranet could be useful, however...

The computers in use are on two different routers, for two different broadband lines.

Can I link the computer(s) on router B to the server PC which is on router A? If so, I'd love a walkthrough.

Many thanks.

Neil
Tue 20/04/10 at 13:29
Regular
I'll implement the htaccess.

I've also asked on the Joomla forum.

Thanks.

N.
Tue 20/04/10 at 11:24
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
As Garin said, it's probably not the best idea.

Neilj99 wrote:
> I have set a robots.txt to Disallow / from all bots (I am aware
> of 'bad' bots that take no notice of robots.txt).

I would probably use .htaccess to block out any IP addresses accessing your site apart from your own. Unless you need to access this data from anywhere.

> You mention server side scripts for added security. How could I
> implement those (using Joomla). How could they help me? What
> added layer of security could they offer?

If you did want to store that kind of information on the server then I would advise you encrypt it when storing it online.

I have never used Joomla so I would probably advise you checking with their user forums for assistance if you wish to use Joomla.

Otherwise I would advise looking up various encryption/decryption methods available to PHP such as mcrypt.
Mon 19/04/10 at 22:28
Regular
The people wouldn't be personally identifiable from the information on the site.

N.
Mon 19/04/10 at 22:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Neilj99 wrote:
> It would hold limited medical, and other information relating to
> individuals.

To be honest, for medical data, I'm not sure shared hosting would be deemed secure enough.
Mon 19/04/10 at 21:17
Regular
It would hold limited medical, and other information relating to individuals.

I have decided to host it via my VIP account, but would like the information to remain as secure as possible.

I have set a robots.txt to Disallow / from all bots (I am aware of 'bad' bots that take no notice of robots.txt).

You mention server side scripts for added security. How could I implement those (using Joomla). How could they help me? What added layer of security could they offer?

N.
Mon 19/04/10 at 18:37
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Neilj99 wrote:
> Not wishing to bump my query (too hard)...
>
> Would I benefit from using a secure server for my site, as I
> want it to be strictly login access only? There will be
> sensitive information on it.
>
> Neil.

Depends on what you mean by a secure server, if I go by your previous post which mentions HTTPS then I presume you mean that you would like your intranet's website encrypted with SSL.

Freeola SSL offers 128 or 256 bit data encryption, which is what most e-commerce websites use for handling secure information such as credit card details between their servers and customer web browsers.

You could use Freeola host in conjunction with our SSL if you wished to have your data encrypted whilst in transit. However please note this would not be encrypted on the server.

Then again saying that you could also use encrypting/decrypting scripts in either PHP or Perl to do that for you.

I would say it might be overkill for a personal site, it depends how sensitive the information would be.
Mon 19/04/10 at 18:25
Regular
Not wishing to bump my query (too hard)...

Would I benefit from using a secure server for my site, as I want it to be strictly login access only? There will be sensitive information on it.

Neil.
Tue 13/04/10 at 14:32
Regular
I see where things are heading. Headache City.

I wonder if I could get away with a passworded site possibly beefed up with HTTPS.

N.
Tue 13/04/10 at 14:04
Regular
"YTS Primate"
That makes it a little more complicated or more expensive.

All the IP Setup remains the same but you would have to put in a wireless network card or a second card if the computer already has one in your second computer.

Set a static IP on it and connect it to router 1.

The other option and maybe the best is connect both routers together with homeplugs and again the IP settings I’ve given you
Tue 13/04/10 at 13:09
Regular
The only issue with that is that the wireless routers are in different parts of the building.

N

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.