GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silver PS2 Audio Problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/10/03 at 18:42
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Hi, I have just got a Silver PS2 and I have a problem. I have it connected to a Sony 5.1 system through an optical cable. When I play a DVD it is only coming through the left and right channels. There seams to be no Dolby Digital coming out. I also have my Xbox connected to it and that works fine, I have tried swapping the cables over but its just the same. Any ideas?
Sun 05/10/03 at 15:22
Regular
Take from PS2home.co.uk

"Some DVD's not up to specification do not play well on PS2, and you may
find after about 30 minutes the sound drifts out of synch with the picture - some may not play at all. To fix the problem firstly make sure the DVD is clean and secondly try turning on the Debug Mode. Do this by going into the PS2 "System Configuration" mode and turn on "Debugging" mode and turn the "Digital Output" off. This may free up enough system power to stop these niggling problems. You will need to ensure that you do not have Dolby Digital and DTS set to 'on' at the same time as this will almost certainly result in the speech going out of sync – use only the mode you are playing it in. Also refer to the audio set up diagram on page 15 of your PlayStation 2 manual – this may hold a solution.

If this fails buy or borrow the official Sony DVD Remote disc which will
replace the old Version 1.01 DVD driver with the new Version 2.01. This
should solve the problem."
Sun 05/10/03 at 12:29
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The model number of the Playstation is: SCPH-50003 SS
And the number if my Sony Amp is: TA-VE215
Sat 04/10/03 at 19:10
Regular
Tell me the name of your system and I will see what I can do.
Sat 04/10/03 at 19:09
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Tried it all and still only getting 2 channels. I think I will have to take it back tomorrow.
Sat 04/10/03 at 19:02
Regular
Try checking to make sure Optical is on as even when mine is off I still get 5 channel Pro Logic.
Sat 04/10/03 at 19:01
Regular
My AMP detects Dolby Digital automatically however try changing it manually once the film has loaded. Also try changing the audio to Dolby Digital from within the DVD although this shouldn't be required if you have a Dolby Digital AMP.

The Xbox is a far better DVD player though but its worth sorting out your PS2 problem. What system have you got?
Sat 04/10/03 at 18:59
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The optical out is on because the decoder is showing 2 channels coming from the optical cable. With my old Playstation and xbox it says Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Live but this just says L & R.
Sat 04/10/03 at 18:58
Regular
PS2 DVD quality is fr inferior to the Xbox DVD playback. By a long shot. In the end though the Xbox was too loud despite being of high standard so I forked out for a standalone multi region DVD player which is fantastic.
Sat 04/10/03 at 18:57
Regular
One other thing I know some won't run unless you have an RGB scart cable. Go into your PS2 and go to System Configeration and change the Digital Output (Optical) to ON. Turn your PS2 off and load it up and it should work fine.
Sat 04/10/03 at 18:57
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
I have tried 6 DVD’s all are only a few weeks old and say Dolby Digital and 5.1 on them. I can play them through the xbox fine, but the drive is loud and the Playstation is nearly silent.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.