GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silver PS2 Audio Problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/10/03 at 18:42
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Hi, I have just got a Silver PS2 and I have a problem. I have it connected to a Sony 5.1 system through an optical cable. When I play a DVD it is only coming through the left and right channels. There seams to be no Dolby Digital coming out. I also have my Xbox connected to it and that works fine, I have tried swapping the cables over but its just the same. Any ideas?
Tue 07/10/03 at 10:59
Regular
Ha! Nope they are just there to make the stats look better...

Please stop trying to defend something that really isn't true.
Tue 07/10/03 at 10:29
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
What is it with X-box owners and technical statistics? It doesn't matter how many potential 3D audio channels it has, DD5.1 doesn't use them.
Tue 07/10/03 at 00:03
Regular
48 audio channels compared to 256 on the Xbox. 8 of them on the PS2 are 3D. 64 on the Xbox. Unless you have a pretty cheap system you would be able to tell clearly.
Mon 06/10/03 at 23:39
"I love yo... lamp."
Ali is right.

Xbox DVD playback is much superior in picture quality and sound quality.

The only downside is that it is too loud.
Mon 06/10/03 at 23:26
Regular
The Xbox console has 256 output channels and 64 of them are 3D. You must have a cheap Dolby Digital system if you think a system (yes the Silver PS2) has the same audio quality. The Xbox has 4 times as many channels. Even that though is far surpassed by standalone DVD players which utilise all available Dolby Digital channels.
Mon 06/10/03 at 22:53
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
I have an xbox and the silver PS2 and i have to say the PS2 wins. The sound output is the same 5.1 dolby digital, however the xbox is very loud and the PS2 is very nearly silent. The picture quality is also a lot better than the xbox. All I have to do now is wait for the new dvd remote to come out so I can turn it off without getting up:)
Mon 06/10/03 at 17:46
Regular
*Hugs standalone DVD player*

Who cares? The standalone ones kick ass anyway.
Mon 06/10/03 at 16:46
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
He's talking about a silver PS2, one of the new models which is almost a dedicated DVD player. Like he says, the fan is silent and it supports progressive output, has a proper IR receiver etc. It is not "vastly inferior to the X-box".
Sun 05/10/03 at 17:35
Regular
Its okay, any time :)
Sun 05/10/03 at 15:38
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Hi, my dvd drive is already 3.00E
Anyway I got through to customer support and they managed to figure it out. I had to turn something on when the film was playing and then eject the disk. After that it works on all my dvd’s and the picture and sound are excellent quality. They have done a good job on the new model. Thanks for all you help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.