GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE8: Google ToolBar positioning and other ramblings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/04/10 at 17:35
"Are you sure?"
Just over a year ago I posted my first thoughts on IE8.

At the time I was still using IE7 on my 'main' PC as I had everything just as I like it! Now a year on I thought the time was right to move to IE8!

I updated to IE8 at the weekend and I've spent a lot of time adjusting things to get comfortable.

I've stripped out most of the Accelerators, removed Favourites from the smart Address Bar dropdown and hidden/deleted all sorts of other bits.

I'm still using the IE7Pro addon. This gives me in-line spell checking (like Word etc.) which none of the other addons seem to offer. But my favourite is a 'smart drag' tool which allows me to select and drag text (if it's a URL it puts it into the address bar to visit the site else performs a Google search). Mouse Gestures to scroll back/forward, etc. and much more.

Unfortunately the IE7Pro developers seem to have given up on the product and site. The forum it full of very dodgy spam! Strangely they have recently released a new update but some of the feedback hasn't been good, so I've given this a miss for now.

As I mentioned in my post a year ago, it's a real pain that with IE8 the Google ToolBar (or any other third party one) can't share the same line as a MS one! I've found hacks for various things but still haven't managed to find one that allows you to move the Google ToolBar next to your 'Favorites Bar'(was Links). So I lose screen 'real estate' for no reason!

Again - If anyone knows of a Registry tweak that sorts this I'd love to know.

I'm hoping I'll get used to the 'Fisher Price Toys' colour scheme for the Tab Groups. I'm not the only one that think they are too bright and hide the active tab as many others have written about this. I haven't managed to find any way of changing the colours. The only way seems to be by turning off Tab Groups which I don't want to do as the idea is sound.

Hard to believe it's a year since I posted my original IE8 item!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

...and YES, I also use FireFox!
Mon 19/04/10 at 15:33
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> This seems like a backward step to me.
> Perhaps more sites should be using the 'TITLE' Tag which is
> displayed in IE8 and FireFox.

It wouldn't call it a step backwards particularly, just a make do situation as IE catches up with web standards.

The title attribute should have always been used to "offers advisory information about the element for which it is set" as per the HTML 4.01 spec.

This is very different from the definition of the alt attribute for image elements definition "user agents that cannot display images, forms, or applets, this attribute specifies alternate text".

IE's way of allowing web sites to transfer their sites over to IE8 standards was to allow sites to add a meta tag to enable older quirks modes and standard modes so their sites didn't suddenly break on the launch of IE8.
Mon 19/04/10 at 15:19
"Are you sure?"
More IE8 ramblings...

ALT tags and IE8

I've noticed since moving to IE8 that some sites are no longer displaying image 'ALT' tags!

FireFox has been like this for some time as this is stricter ('web-standards') than IE. In the past I've used a FF addon to display the ALT tags as they are often useful.

It seems if a site is running in 'Quirks mode' as Freeola does then the ALT tags are still displayed in IE8. But for sites like the BBC News that doesn't run in Quirks mode IE8 fails to display the image ALT Tags! :¬(

These web-standards seem daft to me!

This is what Microsoft say:
The alt attribute is no longer displayed as the image tooltip when the browser is running in IE8 mode. Instead, the target of the longDesc attribute is used as the tooltip if present; otherwise, the title is displayed. The alt attribute is still used as the Microsoft Active Accessibility name, and the title attribute is used as the fallback name only if alt is not present.

If you use the 'Compatibility View' button in IE8 then the BBC News site does display the ALT Tags again.

This seems like a backward step to me.
Perhaps more sites should be using the 'TITLE' Tag which is displayed in IE8 and FireFox.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 09/04/10 at 18:40
"Are you sure?"
More IE8 ramblings...

Slow Tabs > Snappy Tabs

Allegedly IE8 is faster than previous versions of Internet Explorer!

Since moving to IE8 I had noticed that opening new Tabs wasn't quite so snappy as previously. The delay was only fractions of a second or so but still noticeable and irritating.

Microsoft advise you to troubleshoot these types of issues by starting IE8 without any Add-ons to see if this improves things.

There are a few ways of starting IE8 without any Add-ons.
The most straight forward (I'm using Windows XP SP3) is by going:
Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Things were faster running like this with Tabs opening instantly. So after looking at the Add-ons (Tools > Manage Add-ons) I started to look at the 'Load Times'.
NB - I had already removed/disabled anything that shouldn't be running.

Under the Sun Microsystems, Inc. section:
"Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" jp2ssv.dll showed as having a Load Time of 0.64s.

Google soon showed that lots of other people had also found this was slowing their IE8 down and disabling it had speeded IE8 up.

So I've also disabled it and things are much improved :¬)

I've tried a few Java based sites out (Freeola's InstantPro and BT's official 'speedtester') and they both work as normal. Obviously if I should find something not working it's very easy to enable.

If you are an IE8 user it might be worth taking a look!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 08/04/10 at 14:50
"Are you sure?"
Another IE8 related update...

As I mentioned in my first IE8 post (see earlier link) Microsoft 'encourage' you to install Windows Search 4.0 by displaying a message/link in the address bar dropdown.

This time round I thought I would give Windows Search 4.0 a try!
From what I could see the new shiny(er) interface can't be made to find Hidden Files!!! You can still get to the previous Windows Search by clicking the link for 'Search Companion' this still allows you to searching ALL files including hidden ones.

Windows Search Desktop also comes with Search 4.0 - all stuff I don't want and appeared to be quite a resource hog even when it had performed a complete index.

After more reading it looks like this is how Windows Search 4.0 is supposed to work - so it's not for me as I want to be able to actually search ALL my files!

So I un-installed it which returns the old Windows Search Companion.

Then used my previous tweak to remove the Microsoft nag:

RUN command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t REG_SZ /d 99 /f

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 08/04/10 at 10:15
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> What's this IE7Pro then? Would you advise it for a 7 lover?

Hi Warhunt.
I used to highly recommend IE7Pro, but not sure I can/should now.

Their main ie7pro.com website seems safe enough to read and gives you a run down of the many excellent features. Stuff that works so much better than either the standard IE equivalents or produced by other developers that I've found.

But they have let their forum become a complete spamfest so be warned! The developers haven't been around for quite a while, and looking at the state of their forum makes you wonder what's going on! Which is why it might not be a safe product to recommend anymore!?

I'm still using it as I really like a few of the functions. I'm only using a small selection now and things seem completely stable in IE8 (which it isn't written for):
Spell checker | Close tab when double clicked | Mouse gestures | In-line search | Super drag and drop

They've recently released version 2.4.8 but I've read this has broken things for some people - so I won't be installing that! You can still download 2.4.7 (by changing the download link from 8>7, this is the version I'm using.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 08/04/10 at 09:32
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Thought I would post seen as I don't want another decent post to go missing into the ether.

I upgraded to IE8 not long ago (with W7), but kept IE7 for the same reasons you did (as I'm sure you remember as discussing). It was just what I was used to.

I upgraded to IE8, and then got lazy and just adjusted myself to it... rather than it to me.

What's this IE7Pro then? Would you advise it for a 7 lover?
Wed 07/04/10 at 17:35
"Are you sure?"
Just over a year ago I posted my first thoughts on IE8.

At the time I was still using IE7 on my 'main' PC as I had everything just as I like it! Now a year on I thought the time was right to move to IE8!

I updated to IE8 at the weekend and I've spent a lot of time adjusting things to get comfortable.

I've stripped out most of the Accelerators, removed Favourites from the smart Address Bar dropdown and hidden/deleted all sorts of other bits.

I'm still using the IE7Pro addon. This gives me in-line spell checking (like Word etc.) which none of the other addons seem to offer. But my favourite is a 'smart drag' tool which allows me to select and drag text (if it's a URL it puts it into the address bar to visit the site else performs a Google search). Mouse Gestures to scroll back/forward, etc. and much more.

Unfortunately the IE7Pro developers seem to have given up on the product and site. The forum it full of very dodgy spam! Strangely they have recently released a new update but some of the feedback hasn't been good, so I've given this a miss for now.

As I mentioned in my post a year ago, it's a real pain that with IE8 the Google ToolBar (or any other third party one) can't share the same line as a MS one! I've found hacks for various things but still haven't managed to find one that allows you to move the Google ToolBar next to your 'Favorites Bar'(was Links). So I lose screen 'real estate' for no reason!

Again - If anyone knows of a Registry tweak that sorts this I'd love to know.

I'm hoping I'll get used to the 'Fisher Price Toys' colour scheme for the Tab Groups. I'm not the only one that think they are too bright and hide the active tab as many others have written about this. I haven't managed to find any way of changing the colours. The only way seems to be by turning off Tab Groups which I don't want to do as the idea is sound.

Hard to believe it's a year since I posted my original IE8 item!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

...and YES, I also use FireFox!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.