GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE8: Google ToolBar positioning and other ramblings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/04/10 at 17:35
"Are you sure?"
Just over a year ago I posted my first thoughts on IE8.

At the time I was still using IE7 on my 'main' PC as I had everything just as I like it! Now a year on I thought the time was right to move to IE8!

I updated to IE8 at the weekend and I've spent a lot of time adjusting things to get comfortable.

I've stripped out most of the Accelerators, removed Favourites from the smart Address Bar dropdown and hidden/deleted all sorts of other bits.

I'm still using the IE7Pro addon. This gives me in-line spell checking (like Word etc.) which none of the other addons seem to offer. But my favourite is a 'smart drag' tool which allows me to select and drag text (if it's a URL it puts it into the address bar to visit the site else performs a Google search). Mouse Gestures to scroll back/forward, etc. and much more.

Unfortunately the IE7Pro developers seem to have given up on the product and site. The forum it full of very dodgy spam! Strangely they have recently released a new update but some of the feedback hasn't been good, so I've given this a miss for now.

As I mentioned in my post a year ago, it's a real pain that with IE8 the Google ToolBar (or any other third party one) can't share the same line as a MS one! I've found hacks for various things but still haven't managed to find one that allows you to move the Google ToolBar next to your 'Favorites Bar'(was Links). So I lose screen 'real estate' for no reason!

Again - If anyone knows of a Registry tweak that sorts this I'd love to know.

I'm hoping I'll get used to the 'Fisher Price Toys' colour scheme for the Tab Groups. I'm not the only one that think they are too bright and hide the active tab as many others have written about this. I haven't managed to find any way of changing the colours. The only way seems to be by turning off Tab Groups which I don't want to do as the idea is sound.

Hard to believe it's a year since I posted my original IE8 item!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

...and YES, I also use FireFox!
Fri 06/08/10 at 13:23
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote: [Re. ALT/Title Attributes with IE8]
> EDIT: For now I've added the BBC to my IE8 Compatibility
> settings so that it always runs in this mode - this means I can
> benefit from seeing the captions used in their images! :¬P

Since my last update the BBC have revamped their main site which also stopped it running in 'compatibility' mode and breaking my get-a-round to reading their image descriptions!

Not one to give up, I think I've now got everything how I want it!

So after more messing around I found this 'ALT Popup' script from userscripts.org which I was able to port to IE as I already use IE7Pro.

The script does just what I want.
If the website correctly uses the image Title attribute then that's what I see, if it only uses image ALT attributes then it displays them when I hover over an image prefixing the text with 'ALT:' so you know the site didn't use Title :¬)

NB. I was already successfully using this Firefox Add-On addons.mozilla.org.../1933/ which adds similar functionality to FF which I can recommend.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 08/05/10 at 18:04
"Are you sure?"
SECURE / NON SECURE CONTENT

Interesting to see that Microsoft have changed the way they display their warning when HTTPS pages contain both secure and non-secure content with IE8.

They seem to have completely reversed the logic in the question!
From my experience some people were already confused when they saw this warning - so this change won't help them...

Pre IE8 answering YES allowed the non-secure content through, with IE8 answering YES does the opposite!

Obviously websites having non-secure content on an HTTPS page can be dodgy so I'm surprised Microsoft made this complete change around.

Here's how the wording goes:

IE warning (pre IE8)

Security Information
This page contains both secure and nonsecure items.
Do you want to display the nonsecure items?
YES/NO/MORE INFO

IE warning (IE8)

Security Warning
Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?
This webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could compromise the security of the entire webpage.
YES/NO/MORE INFO

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:48
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> LukeM wrote:
> I'm not having 'a go'! Just giving my point of view on ALT/TITLE
> tags :¬)

No worries, didn't take it that way :)

> I had just edited my last reply - I can now view all the image
> captions on the BBC.

I guess in this case, there is a solution for everyone.
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:46
"Are you sure?"
LukeM wrote:
> Presumably you were already aware we offer support 7 days a
> week, however I agree that this alternative text does not match
> the image. Until Google finds a way of describing images
> artificially, then I doubt Freeola or any other site will likely
> be found guilty of mismatching alt tags and images.

I'm not having 'a go'! Just giving my point of view on ALT/TITLE tags :¬)

I had just edited my last reply - I can now view all the image captions on the BBC.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:38
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> LukeM wrote:
> What would the use be in putting alt content in a title
> attribute in your opinion?
>
> For the BBC site I like to read the 'captions' that are
> contained within the ALT tag for images! This may not be the
> correct W3 usage, but I (and it seems a lot of other people) like
> to read them.

Ahh I see, not something I have ever done myself but I can understand the need for more information sometimes.

> i.e Your "Passionate about support" image displays
> "help and support 7 days a week".

Presumably you were already aware we offer support 7 days a week, however I agree that this alternative text does not match the image. Until Google finds a way of describing images artificially, then I doubt Freeola or any other site will likely be found guilty of mismatching alt tags and images.
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:34
"Are you sure?"
LukeM wrote:
> What would the use be in putting alt content in a title
> attribute in your opinion?

For the BBC site I like to read the 'captions' that are contained within the ALT tag for images! This may not be the correct W3 usage, but I (and it seems a lot of other people) like to read them.

Freeola for example sometimes display different text in their ALT tag than is displayed in the actual image.

i.e Your "Passionate about support" image displays "help and support 7 days a week".

EDIT: For now I've added the BBC to my IE8 Compatibility settings so that it always runs in this mode - this means I can benefit from seeing the captions used in their images! :¬P

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:24
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> ;¬)
>
> I see people are now producing s/w to automatically update a
> site to add TITLE tags...

Are you talking about all images? What do you find useful about the information in alt attributes? Alternative content is designed to be readable only when the actual image cannot be shown, whether it is because of a broken link or a visitor using a screen reader which would not be able to explain the image without it.

What would the use be in putting alt content in a title attribute in your opinion?
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:21
"Are you sure?"
;¬)

I see people are now producing s/w to automatically update a site to add TITLE tags...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 19/04/10 at 16:11
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Are you planning to add TITLE tags alongside your ALT tags to
> Freeola's images or have you another plan?

If we so wish to add "advisory information" to any images we would use the title attribute. However the title attribute is not required in any specification whereas the alt attribute "must be specified for the IMG and AREA elements" since HTML 4.01.

But web standards are still not entirely enforced, mainly because browsers try not to break websites that do not adhere to them. You will find many things on Freeola's site do not conform to web standards, since it is not a necessity, rather a recommendation.

Edit: That being said, if you have the opportunity to start from scratch, I definitely recommend designing to web standards to make your websites as useful, future proof and accessible as possible.
Mon 19/04/10 at 15:50
"Are you sure?"
Are you planning to add TITLE tags alongside your ALT tags to Freeola's images or have you another plan?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.