GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My dial-up connection is going mental!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 18:49
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
And that's mental in a very...very good way!

Currently downloading a 172mb file at...get this... 35kb/s!

And it's been downloading at this rate for the past hour! Oh yeah, and to complicate matters further, I'm connected at 28.8k (I'm on a DACS line).

All I can say is...go AOL! :D

Probably be back to it's miserly 3kb/s tomorrow. :(
Tue 07/10/03 at 18:49
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
And that's mental in a very...very good way!

Currently downloading a 172mb file at...get this... 35kb/s!

And it's been downloading at this rate for the past hour! Oh yeah, and to complicate matters further, I'm connected at 28.8k (I'm on a DACS line).

All I can say is...go AOL! :D

Probably be back to it's miserly 3kb/s tomorrow. :(
Tue 07/10/03 at 22:23
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Nice one mate ;)

My dial up's fastest download speed was 24kb/s, for about 10 mins, then dropped gradually down to 9.61kb/s which it stayed at for the rest of the download.
Tue 07/10/03 at 22:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I had this when I was downloading some video files from kazaa. One was in December 2001 and that was around 20k/s and the other was in May 2001 around 50k/s on a 56k connection. I saw that it was using something like 98% compression so thats probably why the speeds were fast. The video files were completely blank. So basically I think that if its a video file it will be blank.
Tue 07/10/03 at 22:55
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
This was on Kazaa also, but was an .exe file. Unfortunately, turned out to be rubbish aswell. Ah well...felt good at the time! :)
Tue 07/10/03 at 23:26
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> This was on Kazaa also, but was an .exe file. Unfortunately, turned
> out to be rubbish aswell. Ah well...felt good at the time! :)

Thought it would be rubbish as the times I had a fast speed the files were rubbish. It did feel great as at the time Broadband wasnt available in my area, but now I have had ADSL since June 2002. Hopefully will get the 1mb service soon if my line is good enough.
Wed 08/10/03 at 02:47
Regular
"of Your Dreams!"
the fastest dial-up speed i got was 10kb/s now i am geting 107kb/s, i have dsl. :) Yeah baby!!!
Wed 08/10/03 at 10:07
Regular
Pfft, forget 1MB, I'm looking forward to 2MB :)
Wed 08/10/03 at 11:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lipe wrote:
> Pfft, forget 1MB, I'm looking forward to 2MB :)

Yeah so am I, but 1mb ADSL home is a reality and not 2mb at the moment. Ok you can get 2mb via some ISPs but that uses Datastream which isnt as highly supported at exchanges as IPstream.
Wed 08/10/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
anialater wrote:
> the fastest dial-up speed i got was 10kb/s now i am geting 107kb/s, i
> have dsl. :) Yeah baby!!!

Whats that with then? As ADSL is only a sustained 60k/s. Is that 107k/s a peak value for example at the start of a file? You call it DSL so your not from America or somewhere other than the UK?
Wed 08/10/03 at 11:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Of course those download speed are actually impossible on dial up.

Your computer is calculating the speed wrong. Ive had it tell me ive been downloading at 1mb, on a 56k modem, as we know, thats not possible.

If BT upgraded my exchange for ADSL i would be able to recieve the 2MB service. We've only got 71 people who have registered interest for it though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.