GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My dial-up connection is going mental!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 18:49
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
And that's mental in a very...very good way!

Currently downloading a 172mb file at...get this... 35kb/s!

And it's been downloading at this rate for the past hour! Oh yeah, and to complicate matters further, I'm connected at 28.8k (I'm on a DACS line).

All I can say is...go AOL! :D

Probably be back to it's miserly 3kb/s tomorrow. :(
Wed 08/10/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
cookie monster wrote:
> Of course those download speed are actually impossible on dial up.
>
> Your computer is calculating the speed wrong. Ive had it tell me ive
> been downloading at 1mb, on a 56k modem, as we know, thats not
> possible.
>
> If BT upgraded my exchange for ADSL i would be able to recieve the
> 2MB service. We've only got 71 people who have registered interest
> for it though.

No I did actually get 50k/s on dial up, got nearly 130mb in 45mins. Files were blank and I noticed that it used 98% compression when downloading the file where as previously it wasnt using any. But now with broadband I can get 60k/s all the time, hopefully when I get 1mb next week I will be doign 120k/s

Why dont you start a campaign in your area? Also check out www.adslguide.org.uk and see how many people need to register before BT upgrade. Many places that have had campaigns have got the numbers they need pretty quickly. Run off a few flyers or something or get people interested at school, college or were ever. If people know that broadband can be £20 a month from some ISPs I am sure alot of internet users on 56K wont find this too much more than they are currently paying for 56K internet call charges if Freecall ISP monthly charges.
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:05
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
A gig of server space?

I get a measly 30mb! Yes...30mb!

Grr...damn the strict technicians at my college! So much as typing too hard on the keyboards is an offence! (Probably)
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:15
I got a 7kps download on AOL once, I felt the wind rushing through my hair, and felt g-forces pressing me into my seat.

Now, thanks to broadband, 100k+ downloads are not only the norm, they are the minimum expectation.
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:11
Regular
However much we want. Although when we get to about a Gig it's time to put stuff on cd's or delete them. Otherwise they'll ballack us for having too much unrelated stuff on our user. Saying that, the technician of the place doesn't give a toss and sits in his office playing games all day. It's only when the teacher's see us playing games, they get him to check all our user's and whatnot. But so far I haven't been caught.
Wed 08/10/03 at 15:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
How much HDD space is allocated to you by the college?
Wed 08/10/03 at 14:52
Regular
I struggle to get speeds of 35k on kazaa and I have broadband. I got up to speeds of 119k on IGN and this was no error. It downloaded the file perfectly and very quickly indeed. Still, it doesn't beat being at college when your one of only a few people using the internet. I did 60mb in something like 56 seconds.
Wed 08/10/03 at 13:36
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yeah sorry, got a bit carried a way with myself there. Thinking about it, I remember such a thing happening in the past actually.

Ah well, at least if I ever get a speed like that again, I no the file is some massively-compressed dud.

Still, felt good at the time! :)
Wed 08/10/03 at 11:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Of course those download speed are actually impossible on dial up.

Your computer is calculating the speed wrong. Ive had it tell me ive been downloading at 1mb, on a 56k modem, as we know, thats not possible.

If BT upgraded my exchange for ADSL i would be able to recieve the 2MB service. We've only got 71 people who have registered interest for it though.
Wed 08/10/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
anialater wrote:
> the fastest dial-up speed i got was 10kb/s now i am geting 107kb/s, i
> have dsl. :) Yeah baby!!!

Whats that with then? As ADSL is only a sustained 60k/s. Is that 107k/s a peak value for example at the start of a file? You call it DSL so your not from America or somewhere other than the UK?
Wed 08/10/03 at 11:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lipe wrote:
> Pfft, forget 1MB, I'm looking forward to 2MB :)

Yeah so am I, but 1mb ADSL home is a reality and not 2mb at the moment. Ok you can get 2mb via some ISPs but that uses Datastream which isnt as highly supported at exchanges as IPstream.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.