GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Zelda disc mystery..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/10/03 at 22:39
Regular
Some of you may know of the confirmation that a Zelda bonus disc featuring 4 Zelda games and a demo will be released with Gamecube's shortly. For those that don't know, here is that list of games:

The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda II: Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
And a The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker demo.

Sounds cool doesn't it? Indeed it does. But I don't... really... understand it. Here are my list of questions:

1: Why Zelda? I mean Nintendo already plan 2 spin off games and a Wind Waker sequel... why release ANOTHER Zelda bonus disc?

2: Why didn't we get this with the Wind Waker, I'm not trying to be greedy I was happy with what I got but Majora's Mask would be a fine replacement for the very unimportant Master Quest. It wouldn't have required too much effort... and these NES titles could have been downloadable into the GBA if Nintendo really want to sell the link up idea.

3: Why bundle it with the console? I mean sure it's a nice alternative to a demo disc but surly Zelda fans will already have a Gamecube... and those fans now will miss out on this offer. Also it doesn't paint a great picture for the Gamecube. Surly Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Super Metroid and F Zero would be a more varied response of gameplay than 4 games from the same series.

4: If this is for Zelda fans why miss out 4 Zelda titles?

So as you can see... Bundelling this with the console, the choice of titles, the reasoning behind a second re-release... is all a mystery.

There are two reasonings behind it all, I can come up with, maybe you can come up with more.

1: Nintendo are giving the game FREE with the console perhaps. In UK terms a console with the special disc is the normal £80... a console with a game is £100. It is like the alternatice to a demo disc most gamers are used to getting with a console... instead of a load of half finished games we get 4 old classics and a demo of a superb Gamecube game. Still doesn't answer the question... why Zelda?

2: There is one more addition to this Bonus Disc to come perhaps... in the form of the "Four Swords". The superb Gamecube game maybe a bit short lived and lacks any single player motivation to sell as a stand alone game. Miyamoto suggested that his Pacman game maybe bundled with a "Pacman collection". The game was eventually bundled in many different forms but was not sold as a stand alone game. This could be what is going to happen with Four Swords and Tetra's Trackers.

What do you think?
Wed 08/10/03 at 08:01
"The Will of D."
I wouldn't say it was the best, the boss at the end is similar to what we saw of Puppet ganon in WW, it morphed and kept morphing into every boss from the game.
Wed 08/10/03 at 12:19
Regular
My favourite Zelda game is actually Links Awakening...

I can't really explain why.

I prefer Wind Waker to the previous 2 3D offerings of Zelda titles mind.
Wed 08/10/03 at 20:30
Regular
"Vaughan"
Calling Game Cube fans everywhere!!!! I have a dilemma: I have been inadvertantly drawn into the world of Zelda The Wind Waker. My husband, my child and my mountains of ironing have been cast aside as I take to the seas for hours on end.

My progress thus far has been steady, however I have ground to a halt trying to collect one of the Triforce pieces. The real bummer is I know what I have to do (thankyou Nintendo Hotline!) but its just not working!

I just cannot catch the last of the Killer Bees - the little blighter up the tree - I've tried floating onto the tree next to him with my Deku Leaf, shooting him with arrows, grappling hook & hookshot, even tried bombing his ass - he just ruddy well ignores me!

My one big worry is that I've left it too late in the game cos I've collected all the other Triforce pieces...Nintendo couldn't be that cruel could they?

HELP!!!!!
Wed 08/10/03 at 20:45
Regular
Despite having played the game through, I have no idea what bit you're talking about.
Sorry.

Tried ukwalkthroughs.com ?

As for the zelda bonus disk? Well, all the really old marios were on the All-Stars cart, and the rest are on gba or cube anyway. Except 64, obviously.
And no other franchise really has enough games to be worth the effort.

But zelda is rightly considered to be quality. Only who'd pay for the old games?
Nobody, but ninty can spin a bit of cash while giving them away with consoles.

As for people who already have a cube? I really expect we'll see the disk in the stars catalogue. It'd be insanity not to include it.

Or just cruel.

But Skies is better :^p
Wed 08/10/03 at 20:46
Regular
Roll into the base of the tree trunk.
Thu 09/10/03 at 01:24
"I love yo... lamp."
I love Zelda, don't get me wrong. And if the disk is free with the Gamecube then excellent.

But it might not look good to some people to see N64 games on the Gamecube. If I didn't know better I would look at it, see that it has OOT and MM and think that since they were on the N64 there is no real reason to get a GC if all they do is reissue old games.

It's going to end up being a bit of a Zelda over kill on the GC.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:15
Regular
Hmmmm that's pretty unusual isn't it.

I mean on the N64 we got 2 Zelda titles and Link appeared in one spin off game.

On the Gamecube we will have 2 appearances by Link in spin off games, one full adventure, 2 novalty Zelda titles, 2 collectable bonus discs and an upcoming sequel.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:17
Regular
I hope Ninty VIP give out the new bonus discs. Although people who bought a GameCube when the price hadn't dropped should get it, really. In a similar way that the XBox price-drop worked.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:25
Regular
So we all should have got a free game when Nintendo bundled free games with the system too then?

And my friend should get £100 because his Midi Disc player dropped in price.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:27
Regular
Yes :-P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.