GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need Advice for LAN Gaming Club"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/03 at 21:03
Regular
Recently, the head of our school's games club has left to go on to University - leaving just myself and a couple of friends to run the thing. It's a 45 min (tops) club that runs twice a week.

Seeing as the majority of you seem to be in the knowledge on these things, I was wondering whether or not you could recommend some good LAN games for this situation. We already have Half-Life, Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament - but we want some variety. Any suggestions would be good, and I'd also appreciate any advice on licenses or the legalities of LAN gaming.

Cheers.
Sun 12/10/03 at 22:29
Regular
don't know
Sun 12/10/03 at 21:25
Regular
Is it free to play LAN, or must you buy x games/game + x licenses?
Sun 12/10/03 at 17:04
Regular
you have arrows on your screen pointing to where the other players are, as the idea is to frag people as many times, you tend to start driving towards them straight away, often regardless of whether you have any weapons (you can always force them to get out of their car and run them over).

what did you mean by license?
Sun 12/10/03 at 13:02
Regular
Hmm, I take it then that you don't see other players too often?

Does this game require a license?
Sun 12/10/03 at 00:20
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> What's the play area? Does it include people just walking/driving
> around like in the actual game? Can you get in cars/trains etc?
>
> And anything else.

it seems our conversation has a delay of about 2 hours, ah well :D

the play area is exactly the same, the cities you normally drive around, complete with pedestrians, cars and the lot.

I didn't try getting in a train, but I would guess they are still in it aswell, it plays just the same, you just set it to how many frags and off you go.

it really is funny when some guy comes screaming round the corner in a car, and you fire a rocket at it and watch as the fireball crashes into a wall. it's v.good
Sat 11/10/03 at 22:01
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:
> Hmmm. What games have you tried other than the three named above? It
> doesn't take much to run H-L or UT. If they're school computers then
> it's quite likely they'll have fast processors etc...but onboard
> graphics. That would probably rule out BF1942 and maybe Op Flash
> too.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein I've seen running with no probs.
Sat 11/10/03 at 22:00
Regular
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> what details specifically were you interested in?

What's the play area? Does it include people just walking/driving around like in the actual game? Can you get in cars/trains etc?

And anything else.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Maverick42 wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Warcraft 3 is tops.
>
> Bah, you can do better than that cm.
>
> Describe it.

Uhhh, you dont know what warcraft 3 is?

Its a real time strategy game with 4 races, humans, undead, nightelves and orcs. Its extremely well balanced and is excellent fun.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:50
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Hmmm. What games have you tried other than the three named above? It doesn't take much to run H-L or UT. If they're school computers then it's quite likely they'll have fast processors etc...but onboard graphics. That would probably rule out BF1942 and maybe Op Flash too.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:50
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Borat, could you give us any more details?

sorry, was off putting stuff on ebay to sell. yeah, it's great, only played it a few times, but top notch fun.

it's just a deathmatch affair with your buddies, grab some weapons and kill your friends!

what details specifically were you interested in?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.