GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Need Advice for LAN Gaming Club"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/03 at 21:03
Regular
Recently, the head of our school's games club has left to go on to University - leaving just myself and a couple of friends to run the thing. It's a 45 min (tops) club that runs twice a week.

Seeing as the majority of you seem to be in the knowledge on these things, I was wondering whether or not you could recommend some good LAN games for this situation. We already have Half-Life, Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament - but we want some variety. Any suggestions would be good, and I'd also appreciate any advice on licenses or the legalities of LAN gaming.

Cheers.
Thu 09/10/03 at 21:03
Regular
Recently, the head of our school's games club has left to go on to University - leaving just myself and a couple of friends to run the thing. It's a 45 min (tops) club that runs twice a week.

Seeing as the majority of you seem to be in the knowledge on these things, I was wondering whether or not you could recommend some good LAN games for this situation. We already have Half-Life, Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament - but we want some variety. Any suggestions would be good, and I'd also appreciate any advice on licenses or the legalities of LAN gaming.

Cheers.
Thu 09/10/03 at 21:08
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Battlefield's an idea.
Possibly Halo too.
Thu 09/10/03 at 23:53
Regular
Medal of Honour Allied Assault/Spearhead/Breakthrough. As for the legalities, I don't really know. At home I install one copy onto 2 PC's but I think, that by law you're supposed to pay the company a bit extra for each computer it is installed onto.
Fri 10/10/03 at 11:43
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
You will need a multiple license from the company, usually cheaper when bought in bulk.

As for games I would agree with Battlefield 1942, as that has a huge fan base, and you can't really go wrong with Halo after the mountains of hype it has recieved.
Might be good to get one or two different genre games too, like Medieval, and Neverwinter.
Fri 10/10/03 at 19:57
Regular
Thanks for the info.

We'll hopefully be picking up the excellent looking sequel to Battlefield 1942. Halo's supposed to be a poor conversion, though, so that's a strict maybe. I think the next game we'll buy will be Operation Flashpoint, as most of our members say it's excellent. I, unfortunately, haven't played it. Is it any good? What are Medieval and Neverwinter like across LAN? I don't think we'll be getting MOH.

As for the licenses, d'you know round about how much they cost? I presume you need a license for each game, yes?
Fri 10/10/03 at 19:59
Regular
B1942 is your best bet.

Not too sure about the RPG's online. Could be a little tedious for a LAN gaming session.
Sat 11/10/03 at 17:57
Regular
Yeah, I'm fairly sure 30-odd kids won't want to engage in an epic RPG in a 40 minute LAN gaming session.
Sat 11/10/03 at 17:59
Regular
red alert 2, GTA2, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, UT2003, and some other games
Sat 11/10/03 at 18:00
Regular
GTA 2 has multiplayer LAN?

How does that work?
Sat 11/10/03 at 18:49
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Maverick42 wrote:
> GTA 2 has multiplayer LAN?
>
> How does that work?

Well they write a load of code that enables a LAN game to be set up, then you can play it over a LAN. Clever isn't it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.