GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GTA upgrades confirmed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto 3'.
Fri 10/10/03 at 05:46
Regular
"8==="
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/454/454117p1.html

Summary:

*Better sound
*Better graphics
*Custom soundtracks
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:43
Regular
'random havoc' can get boring, the missions are excellent, just too few of them.

you can add a twist to your havoc by making it none-random. gather all the weapons you need, including plenty of heavy weapons for taking down copters. now choose a great vantage point, get a getaway vehicle ready (preferably a motorbike). Now, start killing. A challenge is to shoot the coppers through the windscreen while they are driving towards you. Incredibly satisfying to see his head come off, then the car crash into a wall. You can do it with tanks too, and helicopters. Kill as many as possible, then do one on your bike and try to stay alive as long as possible.

I really think they should have included a an extra game type, called 'survival', like in driver, where you start off with full stars (or maybe 4 or 5) and have to survive as long as possible.
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:40
Regular
"That's right!"
GTA 1 was MUCH better for driving/smashing things up/running people over.

The missions may be better in 3/VC, but GTA 1 is still the best game in the series in my opinion.
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:27
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Thats the bad thing about GTA for me though.

The 'random havoc' becomes insanely boring after only a few hours of it. There just isn't enough in it, bar shooting/running over people (yay), and being chased by cops a few thousand times becomes quite dull, and then you die and lose everything, and its all a waste of time. The missions are better, but I find GTA1/2 much more fun. Not totaly sure why.........
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:24
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Because a lot of people see GTA games as very replayable. I'll definatly be getting them on XBox and I've played through them on the PS2. Its just one of those games that deserves a place in a games collection. ;-)

Personally I love the way you don't have to do any of the missions in the game. You can just go around causing havoc and its nice having that option rather than being pushed to do what you're supposed to.

Plus with the custom soundtrack option, I might have to just add in some old eighties tracks into Vice City that didn't make it into the original version of the game. ;-)
Sat 11/10/03 at 17:16
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
It's certainly going to help sales, but as far as encouraging new buyers...PS2 has the same pack, plus both games are a year and 2 years old so it's reasonable to assume anyone who wanted them solely already bought a PS2. It'll help a few people sway for Xbox, but I think Microsoft's best hopes lie in system exclusives. They may need a price cut because of Nintendo's GC price slashing.
Sat 11/10/03 at 17:07
Regular
PC version isn't in Dolby Digital. The are ports of the PC versions so everything will be upgraded again. Sales of this should secure a solid christmas.
Sat 11/10/03 at 17:06
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Dringo - Did you even bother to read the article?
>
> Or even the post?
>
> Xbox improvements: -
>
> * Custom soundtracks
> * Improved graphics
> * Improved sound.

So the same as the PC upgrade then.
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:33
Regular
Yes the Xbox version will run in Dolby Digital where as the PS2 version was in DTS. Two different companies essentially competing for the same thing. DTS 9/10 in my experience has the better mix but that has nothing to do with it being any better than Dolby Digital its just that developers and film producers tend to take a fancy to a particular one.

Take the Special Edition Saving Private Ryan which was released a few mondays a go. The standard one ran in Dolby Digital (awesome audio) however the SE one ran in DTS only. Some (ie Blade 2 and The Rock) have both soundtracks and by listening to each one (or by cheating and reading reviews) you will see which has the better direction, bass, speaker transfer, overall crispness etc.
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:29
Regular
"8==="
I think the article said it was something to do with surround sound.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:53
Regular
No in Vice City the whole game runs in 6.1 DTS and the mix is excellent. Unless they use the Dolby development kit in a very special way they won't top the DTS soundtrack in Vice City on the PS2.

SSX Tricky and MGS2 have 5.1 in cut scenes (amongst a few others) however a game of GTA's size managed to support a full DTS sountrack throughout. Dolby printed a statement saying that a Dokby or DTS soundtrack would not be possible to do throughout a PS2 game do to the console spec. They were lying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.