GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Swordfish Withdrawal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/09/01 at 17:05
Regular
I heard this morning that WB are withdrawing their summer blockbuster Swordfish from cinemas as a sign of respect for the people who lost their lives on Tuesday.

The reason for this is the blowing up of a city block, including a skyscraper, in part of the movie. This scene was one of the best of the movie, with amazing rotation and excellent special effects. It was, for me, one of the crowning points of this amazing movie.

Why question is why do this? why withdraw a film that so many people enjoy? It's spent ages at the box office, because people like me go and see it again. The acting is superb, from the likes of John Travolta and Halle Berry, the plot original and the special effets superb. Simply put, I loved it.

Yet WB have somehow linked the aformentioned scene with the tradegy at the World Trade Centre. But what about the other movies that mention this? In the Matrix, a helicopter crashs into a tower block. In Die Hard 2, a plane is hijacked. Countless movies are based on this principle. To withdraw one, surely you have to withdraw them all. And this returns us to the main question. Why do this?

I appreciate the extreme sorrow people all around the world feel at this tradegy. I myself feel horrified by this. Tommorrow has been set as a day of mourning for Europe, and a 3 minute silence will be observed at 11:00. I'll be at school, but I'll do my best to keep to this. I hope others will too. George Bush has promised retribution on the attackers.
In the midst of this, WB withdraw Swordfish. I think this is a trivial matter. Sure, we all want to show our respect, admiration and sympathy for the American people, but is withdrawing a movie the best way to do this? People still want to enjoy themselves. Enjoying yourself distracts and helps move people on from the devestation that has happened. I think Swordfish should remain in cinemas, another great film for people to enjoy, laugh about and be amazed at when trying to take thier minds off what has happened.

I'm saying forget what has happened. Tuesday should be remembered and mourned. I also appreciate WB wanting to show their respect. I just don't think withdrawing a movie is the best way to do this.

What do you think? I'm sure some of you have seen Swordfish. When you think of it, does it at all remind you of the World Trade Centre. It doesn't for me. It's simply a trivial matter that has become embroiled in the uproar. Trivial things are trivial, but they also matter. As horrible as Tuesday was, we can't allow it to consume everything.

I apologise if anyone has found this offensive or disrespectful. Please, I didn't mean it like that.

Thanks for reading, Stryke.
Thu 13/09/01 at 19:42
Regular
Also, some group ( I forget their name) have an album coming out with one of the group holding a detonator as the WTC and Statue of Liberty collapse. Not surprisingly, its been cancelled.
Thu 13/09/01 at 19:36
Regular
Yeah, I suppose I could of made the heading a little clearer. heh.

pb - What supposed aqua incidents?
Thu 13/09/01 at 19:26
"possibly impossible"
ah yes, the supposed aqua incidents. hm.

On a serious note, I think it's only right that they do this for the time being. They are withdrawing any film to do with terrorist actions at the moment and I guess that even Dropzone would be cancelled on TV too.
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:50
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
While I appreciate the seriousness of this topic, the subject heading made me laugh, it sounds like some terrible double entendre.
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:21
Regular
Iguana wrote:
> I don't blabble on about things I don't know about....
> much.

Heh, of course you don't :) But Swordfish was one of the much vaunted 'summer blockbusters' we seem to get every year, and a quality one at that. You'll just have to take my word for it. And why wouldn't you?
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:17
Regular
"A square watermelon"
Heh. It's a good point Gaz. I agree though, although some things are certainly in bad taste in light of the disaster, the withdrawal of swordfish is going a bit far. I wish I could say more, but I haven't seen it. I don't blabble on about things I don't know about..

.. much.
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:11
Regular
Oh. Didn't read that, heh :)
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:10
Regular
your honour beat you to this in his"is this right thread"
they have also pulled the spiderman trailer
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:05
Regular
I heard this morning that WB are withdrawing their summer blockbuster Swordfish from cinemas as a sign of respect for the people who lost their lives on Tuesday.

The reason for this is the blowing up of a city block, including a skyscraper, in part of the movie. This scene was one of the best of the movie, with amazing rotation and excellent special effects. It was, for me, one of the crowning points of this amazing movie.

Why question is why do this? why withdraw a film that so many people enjoy? It's spent ages at the box office, because people like me go and see it again. The acting is superb, from the likes of John Travolta and Halle Berry, the plot original and the special effets superb. Simply put, I loved it.

Yet WB have somehow linked the aformentioned scene with the tradegy at the World Trade Centre. But what about the other movies that mention this? In the Matrix, a helicopter crashs into a tower block. In Die Hard 2, a plane is hijacked. Countless movies are based on this principle. To withdraw one, surely you have to withdraw them all. And this returns us to the main question. Why do this?

I appreciate the extreme sorrow people all around the world feel at this tradegy. I myself feel horrified by this. Tommorrow has been set as a day of mourning for Europe, and a 3 minute silence will be observed at 11:00. I'll be at school, but I'll do my best to keep to this. I hope others will too. George Bush has promised retribution on the attackers.
In the midst of this, WB withdraw Swordfish. I think this is a trivial matter. Sure, we all want to show our respect, admiration and sympathy for the American people, but is withdrawing a movie the best way to do this? People still want to enjoy themselves. Enjoying yourself distracts and helps move people on from the devestation that has happened. I think Swordfish should remain in cinemas, another great film for people to enjoy, laugh about and be amazed at when trying to take thier minds off what has happened.

I'm saying forget what has happened. Tuesday should be remembered and mourned. I also appreciate WB wanting to show their respect. I just don't think withdrawing a movie is the best way to do this.

What do you think? I'm sure some of you have seen Swordfish. When you think of it, does it at all remind you of the World Trade Centre. It doesn't for me. It's simply a trivial matter that has become embroiled in the uproar. Trivial things are trivial, but they also matter. As horrible as Tuesday was, we can't allow it to consume everything.

I apologise if anyone has found this offensive or disrespectful. Please, I didn't mean it like that.

Thanks for reading, Stryke.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.