GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony copied Nintendo, now Nintendo can copy it back."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/09/01 at 15:50
Regular
(Please not that despite the title, this topic has nothing to do with the console wars whatsoever)

Remember when the Playstation was released?

It had a link cable (like the Gameboy's one) to link two Playstations together for games.

It was rarely used. People didn't want to have to set up 2 Playstations with 2 TV's and few games supported it and most games found alternatives like Splitscreen or all players on screen.

Was it a bad idea?

No. The Market simply wasn't ready.

Nintendo came in with four player splitscreen master pieces like Mario Kart and Goldeneye, which turned out to be a much better option for multiplayer.

Ofcourse, while the N64's splitscreen was brilliant and we still want it on the Gamecube, an extra something should be added, something new, adding a new dimension and a whole load of new possibilities.

The first thought was internet play.
And why not?
You can have the splitscreen game along with several other annonamous people from over the world.
Get phonebills and connection out of the way and it's heaven.

Ofcourse, internet players aren't quite as fun as players next to you whom you can taunt and tease.
And I'm sure you've all been in situations where you've had 4 or more friends round and one person has to sit out.

I think that the link cable needs to return.

It'll enhance multiplayer to no end.
Take Goldeneye.
Teams of two were fun, but it would be so much better if you can have a team of four.
Perfect Dark gave us teams of four Vs simulants, but the simulants aren't as fun as human opponenents, and if always slowed down.

Now imagine this:

2 TV's, back to back, each plugged to linked Gamecubes.

Team one has one GC/TV screen, team two has the other.
You can only see the screens of your friends (i.e. no cheating) allowing for a better team effort and some stealth too (Sniping is possible now!).

If human opponenents want to side together, 8 players against 8 sims.
No slowdown because:

a) The Gamecube can handle it
b) There will be 2 Gamecubes handling it

The scenarios for 8 player games are endless.
Bomberman could be played 8 player on one screen only there's not enough pads.
Linked, there'd be enough pads to allow 8 players.

Lylat Wars!
Team 1 is the Starfox Team, Team 2 controls Starwolf and co.
The ultimate in dogfighting!

Naturally, you wouldn't want to link GC's up EVERY time you played multiplayer - that would be a nuisance and you might as well play splitscreen.

But every so often, it would be great to have the option of extending the Gameplay that little bit.
It would be great for parties and you won't have enemy players looking at your screen.

Nintendo gave new dimension to multiplayer with the N64's four ports along with games such as Perfect Dark and Smash Brothers.
Now every console has 4 player splitscreen with their multitaps and four pad ports.

Now they can take another step forward, keeping the the Gamecube ahead as the best multiplayer system around.

Here's to the future!
Fri 14/09/01 at 17:30
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
If people never copied each other then where would we be now. Game console controllers are all simillar but are tweaked a bit. The GC controller is diffrent from the PS2 controller, although they look alike.
Fri 14/09/01 at 13:30
Regular
I'd say that 8 players on 4 machines is a more interesting set up than 4 machines with four players.

Also, it depends on who's willing to write the software to support it.

I know that Nintendo and Rare would easily back a 8 player link up game.
I don't think that the PS2 is so hot in the multiplayer arena.
Thu 13/09/01 at 21:03
hmmm... oddly enough, the cover of the latest EDGE mag has 4 ps2s, with 4 TV screens, each of which has one person playing... thanks to a new console link.

All I need now if 4 PS2s, 4 TVs, 4 controllers, 4 copies of the game, and... 4 friends
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:53
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
COOL !!
Thu 13/09/01 at 16:28
Regular
Oops.

My mistake :-)

Ok, all 8 players on one screen, four pads to each Gamecube.

cable + spliscreen for other games...
Thu 13/09/01 at 16:21
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Strafex wrote:
> Talking about Bomberman.
I'm hoping that as well as the
> "moderately amusing" bomb throwing multiplayer of the N64
> version, we'll get a 2D mode like the Snes and Megadrive classic for
> multiplayer, and possibly a brand new twist too.

It would be nice
> to have 8 players via link cable + splitscreen too...

Splitscreen bomerman?
Thu 13/09/01 at 16:08
Regular
Talking about Bomberman.
I'm hoping that as well as the "moderately amusing" bomb throwing multiplayer of the N64 version, we'll get a 2D mode like the Snes and Megadrive classic for multiplayer, and possibly a brand new twist too.

It would be nice to have 8 players via link cable + splitscreen too...
Wed 12/09/01 at 21:55
Regular
Wait, where i said Rickyfires problem, I meant dispute's.

Little correction there...
Wed 12/09/01 at 21:53
Regular
Resi, I meant have the link cable as an option as well as internet.
It wouldn't be worth a 2 player doom deathmatch, but for an 8 player Perfect Dark, Mario Kart or Bomberman, it'll the best thing ever for parties or social gatherings.

As for Rickyfire's TV problem - I think you might get use of your downstairs TV as well as the bedroom one every now and then. This would only be once every so often when you had friends round.

If not, your siblings might have a bedroom TV, or your parents might have one you can use.

You just need 4 plug sockets (best get a 4 way adaptor multiplug thing), 7 friends/gamers, 1 link cable, 2 TV's, 2 Gamecubes, a room, 8 pads and a collection of brilliant multiplayer games.

It might sound slightly complex, but not half as bad as having an 8 player network PC game.
Getting 8 players out of one machine is surely the best way to go about something like this.
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:49
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Someone touched on this in an earlier post but should only need one copy of the game for a link-up game (like the GBA) and of course with more than one copy you could get more features. Getting two Gamecubes isn't the problem the problem is the TVs. How many of you have two TVs in one room (I mean two working ones)? How many of you aren't lazy to pick up a portable and carry it round to your mates?
Sadly I think that's the problem. We are too lazy. At some points I will have several TVs in a room but only a few times a year. Bring out the link cable and let the people decide.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.