GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Python"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/10 at 18:32
Regular
Hello :¬)

I'm new to Python and was wondering if anyone had some good books or websites to help me get started. Also could you share your experiences with Python and how you went about learning it.

Thanks guys.
Mon 08/08/11 at 09:51
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 08/08/11 at 09:20
Staff
Hmmm... wrote:
FWIW I managed to get things done using PHP (something else that is beyond me but I can [i]hack things with the best of them!).

It would be nice to know how Freeola stands with Python for future reference though.
[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

I'm afraid we don't currently have any plans to add Python to any of our servers.

As far as it being added to the free servers, this is extremely unlikely, though if there was sufficient demand we could possibly look at in the future.
Sat 06/08/11 at 18:21
"Are you sure?"
FWIW I managed to get things done using PHP (something else that is beyond me but I can hack things with the best of them!).

It would be nice to know how Freeola stands with Python for future reference though.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 05/08/11 at 18:21
"Are you sure?"
I'm well out of my depth as usual but am looking at using some Python code - can Freeola say if this is supported please?

After some searching apart from the 'Monty' versions this is the only Python reference I can find(!) so I'm guessing not...

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 31/03/10 at 12:04
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Personally I love PHP for actual web development, and enjoy playing around with Python. But my favourite language is JavaScript, I'm even looking into using it as a server side language. With things such as creating servers with nodejs, and web applications with narwhal I think it will become much more prominent in the future.

As for Ruby, tried it when there was a big buzz behind it, but never found an actual need for it. As with most of the tech world, it's all hype until you find a practical use for these things.
Wed 31/03/10 at 11:55
Regular
Oh thanks for the links Luke, I'm giving Python a go and seeing what I can do with it. I was hoping I could use it for web development as well, so I'll have a look at Django.

So are you a Ruby person Luke or do you have a few languages under your belt?
Wed 31/03/10 at 11:34
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
What do you want to learn Python for? If you want to use it for web development I recommend looking into Django web framework. Kind of like Rails is to Ruby.

I have started looking into Python for other things recently, although I have had a play with Django in the past.
Tue 30/03/10 at 23:19
Regular
Heh.

Python it is. I read some more articles, some linux guy going through the 5 main ones, C, C++, Java, Perl and Python. The latter looked the most appealing to me and I do like clean coding so I think I will give it a try. Plus I can use it with Maya.

Thanks Garin. I owe you an iPad.
Tue 30/03/10 at 22:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Learn LISP. You can write an AI to replace Warhunt here on the forums. :)

As you say, depends what you want to achieve. If you dont have anything particular in mind, Python is as good a choice as any.
Tue 30/03/10 at 22:03
Regular
Maybe I should consider another language like perl, whitespace or brain----

I guess it all depends on what I want to do and what I already know. Someone suggested Python was the next step up from PHP and most programmers suggested it if they had to learn coding all over again. Oh and there was this O'Reilly ad

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.