GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"3D"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/03/10 at 12:51
Regular
I think my first experience with 3D was watching a Michael Jackson show when I was in Florida 19 years ago. Talking of Florida, I think Timmargh is over there right now while we're all stuck here working. :¬(

A lot of movie studios are rushing to make their movies in 3D now after the success of Avatar. Maybe this is a way to encourage people away from their home theatres and back into the cinema.

Do you think it will work? What do you think of 3D movies and are you more likely to see one if it's in 3D over a movie that isnt?

What about 3D TVs? I follow a few gadget/technology websites and the TVs of the future seem to be all 3D now. Are you interested in watching 3D at home? What about console gaming in 3D?

apologises for the hyphen, the forum doesn't like two letter names
Fri 26/03/10 at 10:28
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
3D is a bit pointless for me, to be honest. After my latest opticians appointment (in which it was discovered I have 20:19.99998 vision), I had a "3D vision" test, which tested my ability to see things in 3D through glasses and whatnot. It was pretty much determined that I can't see any difference through them, so it won't really change anything for me...
Thu 25/03/10 at 23:10
"possibly impossible"
The issue with 3D is that people see it as a gimmick due to the way it's not marketed successfully.

3D is just another tool to provide another aspect of your viewing, just like HD, colour, surround sound and even 24fps pictures on Blu-ray.

You don't NEED any of the above to watch a good film, but each one enhances the viewing quality if used correctly by the people putting the film together.

In other words, it's a tool not a means to create a better film plot or better acting and i think it works.

This year, though, will be the big test. Avatar started it but the reasons for so many films to now go 3D are:
- that it's considered safer and less of a risk now that Avatar has paved the way
- it's something most people can't yet watch at home so it draws more people in to cinemas
- film-makers love experimenting with new ways of engaging the audience
- kids love 3D.
Thu 25/03/10 at 22:54
Regular
"I like turtles"
My mate paid £6,500 for a 42'' Plasma when they first come out.It was just the panel,no speakers or TV tuner and only 480P resolution.That goes to say he's single and earns much more money than me.If 3DTV does become the next big thing (still not convinced TBH) then prices will surely tumble.
Thu 25/03/10 at 22:39
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
It looks like 3D HDTV's are gonna be the next big thing in home entertainment, I read a review 12 months back about Philips releasing the first 42" 3DHDTV, after reading the great reviews i was left thinking "WOW I WANT ONE OF THESE", then i saw the price tag, £25,000, yep thats twenty five grand. but theres good news, you can buy the same TV today for £10,182
Thu 25/03/10 at 16:56
Regular
"How Ironic"
I heard the most ludicrous thing today. Apparently, the recent New York Rangers match (NHL) was the first to be shown in 3D. What?! I hear you cry. How can a hockey match be shown in 3D. "Wow, that puck nearly hit me!" I don't think so... I find 3D a silly idea, and also a fad which will soon wear out. As you said, Avatar is the only reason for this nonsense arising....
Thu 25/03/10 at 16:31
Regular
Oh I just saw this. Is 2010 the year for 3D TV, games and movies

Thanks for changing it Butch. You can have a merit for that
Thu 25/03/10 at 16:17
Regular
I'm not sure about 3D gaming, but I haven't really seen any use it yet apart from those cool 3D theme park rides.

I'm not sure about 3D TV, I can't imagine them using it with soaps. Oh what about 3D Doctor Who, so Garin can feel like the Doctor is running up a long corridor towards him.

As for the cinema, I guess it depends on the movies. It sounds like it worked great with Avatar, but I'm not sure about The Hangover 2 in 3D (recently announced).

It's a shame some movies are coming out as 3D in post production. It won't have the same affect as Avatar does.
Thu 25/03/10 at 15:08
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I think it certainly made a difference to Avatar, I felt it added a lot to the film as the main selling point was how it looked.

Everything else I'm not that fussed about, if I want to watch 3D football I'll go to a game, 3D gaming doesn't interest me too much anyway.
Thu 25/03/10 at 14:36
Regular
"I like turtles"
I'm bored of the whole 3D malarky already if I'm honest.Doesn't really add a whole lot to a film or gaming experience IMO.
Thu 25/03/10 at 14:24
Regular
"And in last place.."
I'd have to admit to having never seen a 3D film... my local cinema isn't that advanced.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.