GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Project Gothem Racing 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Project Gotham Racing 2'.
Sun 02/11/03 at 23:03
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Now, no doubt this will result in massive backlash and verbal kickings - but I just played the demo using the Skyline of this game and my god it sucked crusty rectum !

No matter how I approached the turns, the car would 9 times out of 10 just go out of control and slam into walls ! Then of course as soon as I manage to get control of the car, one of the poxy AI cars flies up and slams into the back of me, again, sending me into the wall.
The only way I could take the corners with any real control was to drive extremely boring - as soon as the aura of my thumb went anywhere near the handbrake, the sodding car flew into some mental, throwing itself all over the track !

Graphics are gorgeous, cars look great - the handling just completely sucks ! Me thinks I'll just be sticking with Sega GT Online and TOCA online. God I can't believe how disappointing PGR2 has turned out for me. I really have to stop myself buying it for the sake of my heart, hair and sanity. I swear if I fork out 40 quid for that game and start playing it, I'll either die from extreme mental stress, or I'll be in the papers for going to the developers and shooting the lot of them with a bag full of shotguns.

Thank god for demos !
Sun 02/11/03 at 23:03
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Now, no doubt this will result in massive backlash and verbal kickings - but I just played the demo using the Skyline of this game and my god it sucked crusty rectum !

No matter how I approached the turns, the car would 9 times out of 10 just go out of control and slam into walls ! Then of course as soon as I manage to get control of the car, one of the poxy AI cars flies up and slams into the back of me, again, sending me into the wall.
The only way I could take the corners with any real control was to drive extremely boring - as soon as the aura of my thumb went anywhere near the handbrake, the sodding car flew into some mental, throwing itself all over the track !

Graphics are gorgeous, cars look great - the handling just completely sucks ! Me thinks I'll just be sticking with Sega GT Online and TOCA online. God I can't believe how disappointing PGR2 has turned out for me. I really have to stop myself buying it for the sake of my heart, hair and sanity. I swear if I fork out 40 quid for that game and start playing it, I'll either die from extreme mental stress, or I'll be in the papers for going to the developers and shooting the lot of them with a bag full of shotguns.

Thank god for demos !
Sun 02/11/03 at 23:53
Regular
It sucked in the first game, simple don't use it. If you can find a driving game where you like all the cars then please give us a shout, until then this will be the best racing game on any platform.
Mon 03/11/03 at 07:38
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I've not played the demo. So what are you saying? The handling is worse than the first game or just the same "slidy way" that it was before?

The Skyline was a pretty decent car in PGR. Don't say they've ruined the controls in an attempt to be "more realistic"...
Mon 03/11/03 at 09:17
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
I have played the demo. The handling is difficult on that car especially, but I am now taking corners like a pro.

Give it time ;)
Mon 03/11/03 at 09:29
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Hurrah ! I'm not the only one whose noticed the absolutely crap controls. When I read the review in OXM this was going on the Christmas list, having played the demo - where reasonable car control only seems possible if you snake around the track it mid speed (pointless) it's coming off the list.

Sega GT 2002 remains my favourite (and most playable) (and only) normal racing game.
Mon 03/11/03 at 09:40
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Isn't the whole point of Gotham the tricky handling that needs to be mastered, though?
Mon 03/11/03 at 10:39
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Aint it suppose to be a Realistic racer, as the dreamcast version claimed? I think nowdays handling is alot better then it was (gran turismo). More powerful consoles can calulate alot more. Just like graphics of games. On the PGR2 demo i think the handling of the Skyline is very good, just dont expect it to have perfect traction and stability. Just like the real life version.
Mon 03/11/03 at 18:17
Regular
I've had a quick go on it today, in between re-docrating my room, and I thought it was pretty good.

It didn't look as good as I expected, but it seemed to me to handle in the same way as the first game.

Hopefully I'll be able to give it another, longer, go tomorrow and let you know what I think then...
Mon 03/11/03 at 18:22
Regular
Savatt78 is just cr*p at racing games, so I wouldn't listen to his ramblings. If he thinks all it needs is a twitch of the handbrake to get around corners, then he naturally doesn't have any clue at all about how you drive a car!!

The car physics are much improved in PGR2, and if you can't handle them, you shouldn't even own an XBox let alone a copy of this game.
Mon 03/11/03 at 18:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Its all very well learning to swing the stupid cars around the bends, but I can only dread the thought of what those bloody cone challenges will be like.

And as for people coming up with the "realistic" arguement - show me how many cars in the world steer with an analogue stick. Realism is good - but it has to have limits because games can only bring so much of the experience before becoming very frustrating.
Like some FPS games - its all very well having the 1 shot kill realism and stuff, but at the same time it can be very frustrating because at the end of the day, in a real life situation, you have your various senses to know when you're in danger and of course your natural reactions.

At least for now, technology is not good enough to recreate things so realisticly in a lot of game types.
The Skyline is a damn fast car - but it also has tyres that grip the road when going speeds of over 30mph - something that seems to have been overlooked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.