GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Marine Slaughter"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/01 at 12:05
Regular
I’m sure most of you have heard about the ivory trade that kills thousands upon thousands of elephants every year, or illegal trade in Bengal tiger skins. These are tragic events among a whole host of inhuman animal trades that go on year after year.

But do you know what happens to the creatures under the water? In some ways its even more cruel. The trade in parts of marine creatures in unbelievable. To start with, 100 million sharks are killed worldwide every year. That figure is mind-boggling. But these sharks mostly aren’t getting killed for their meat. I’m sure a few of you have eaten Shark Fin soup at the local Chinese. Most of the sharks killed around the world are killed purely for their fins. The fishermen haul them up, lop off the fins with a knife, and chuck the sharks back in. The sharks are helpless. Those fins can’t grow back. They are vulnerable to attacks from other sharks, or any other marine predator. Even if they somehow evade predation, they can’t eat, having no way to steer, and they slowly starve to death.

The wings of rays are also big money. The rays most under risk are manta and eagle rays. These are two of the most beautiful creatures in the sea. Anyone else who has seen one diving will agree with me. But fishermen haul them up, chop off the wings to sell for food and throw the rays back in or leave them on the beach. A friend of mine went diving in Tobago, and he saw two of the most horrible acts of ray persecution. First, on a beach, two eagle rays were left to drown in air after a fisherman chopped off their wings and left them on the beach. These were spotted eagle rays, rare creatures whose loss cannot easily be replaced. Another time, he was driving home when he came up behind a fisherman’s truck. Across the back was dumped a gutted dolphin and a 3 metre wide manta ray. They were driving to the fish market to sell them off. Now dolphins aren’t usually fished for. No doubt they were trawling, found the dolphin caught up in the net, and killed it anyway.

Turtles are also at danger. The gentle animals, among them the Hawksbill and Green varieties – both rare, are killed and scooped out of their shells. The shells are later sold to tourists as decorations.

I realise that there’s a different side to this story. I’m not trying to place the suffering of marine animals above that of land animals. I’m also not trying to vilify the fishermen involved. Most of them are poor natives to the area, who are just trying to feed their families. The trade in marine parts is just their way of surviving. No, the problem is the tourists and Western consumers who make such a trade profitable. It’s simply cruel. The same is true of land animal poaching.

I’m not placing blame on anyone who’s eaten Shark fin soup or ray wings. Most are unaware of the truth behind what they are eating, and if you know, that’s your choice to make. I’m simply trying to make people aware of what is happening. If you know of any other stories concerning marine, or land animal slaughter, or think animals don’t matter if they can get a good Chinese meal for under £10, please post your opinions. That’s what this is for, after all.
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:54
Regular
"You've upset me"
GasMask wrote:
Stryke. Welcome.

He's been here ages, Gaz!!!
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:53
Regular
"A square watermelon"
There probably are, but they're a great deal tougher. The land is unsuitable for growing crops. Besides, if some western was going to pay you lots of money for catching some fish and with that money you could feed your families etc. What would you do?
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:53
Regular
GasMask wrote

:-D Welcome Starkus,
> Are you trying to win this Newbie thing as well?

Heh, I'm called Stryke, and I've been around for a bit, and I seem to have somehow won two DVD's already, so I'm not really angling for another with this topic, whatever you think. It's a topic that I actually care quite a bit about.
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:51
Regular
Jess, that was a grade A ramble. But you do have a decent point. Fishermen need the money to survive. And angry as I may be when I see this cruelty happening, who am I to place the value of a man and his families life above that of a reef shark or an eagel ray. It's just that I think there could be better ways for them to earn a living rather than slaughter our already dwindling marine life.
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:48
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Starkus? Am I going mad? Quite possibaly.

Stryke. Welcome.
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:47
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Stryke wrote:
> GasMask - Yeah, I feel that way again. Unfortunately, it's against
> the law to take fishermen out to sea, chop thier arms off and lob
> them in the sea, heh.

Oh what? Right erm.... You didn't see me throw a fisherman in the sea ok? OK!?
Right now thats sorted..

"Men!"

"Deal with him later"

"Ok boss"

:-D Welcome Starkus, Are you trying to win this Newbie thing as well?
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
Iguana wrote:
I'm not sure how I've wandered off topic, but I have..

I think it occured when you said "The North and South..."

Then it just went from there.

:-)

Good post Stryke.
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:40
Regular
"A square watermelon"
As Stryke said, it's not all the fishermen's fault.

The country were he was (Maldives) has hardly any arable farming land and it's economy depends on tourism and fishing. Since western people are willing to pay large sums of money (Or any money). Can you blame them for selling them to feed their families and continue their livelyhood.

Agreed, the marine slaughter is terrible and some magnificent creatures are being treated cruely, but the blame can not all be placed on the fisherman. As long as their is demand for these products elsewhere, like in the West, they will continue to trade in those products. It's just like the ivory trade. If there wasn't a market for ivory, there wouldn't be poaching.

The Divide in wealth between the North and South is also a part of all this. The west being much richer and exploiting the countries (There are a few fair trade products though). The countries can't develop because of this and the 3rd world debt problem. Where alot of countries (Mainly in Africa, I think) have been given money to try and develope the country, but are now, because of interest are struggling to repay this debt and therefore unable to develop fully.

I'm not sure how I've wandered off topic, but I have..
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:35
Regular
GasMask - Yeah, I feel that way again. Unfortunately, it's against the law to take fishermen out to sea, chop thier arms off and lob them in the sea, heh.
Fri 07/09/01 at 20:34
Regular
Iguana wrote:
> Good post Gaz, I presume you listened to my ramblings then?

I always listen to your ramblings :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.