GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ah the allure of budget games..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/11/03 at 19:33
Regular
"8==="
Around 80 quid just got me:

Battle Engine aquila
The Thing
Bloodrayne
Dead to Rites (pre-viewed)
Speed Kings

I am a happy bunny, The Thing was recommended to me ages ago along with C:DS but I got C:DS a lot earlier because of the multiplayer. Bloodrayne I have always wanted since I set eyes on it. Battle Engine aquila looks awesome! Dead to Rights was at a bargain price and looks like a blend of GTA with Max Payne. Speed Kings looks like the natural successor to Road Rash 64, I've browsed the manual and it's full of modes.

More on all these as I play them.

My mate's coming round with some drinks so it'll be some alcohol fueled Speed Kings first I think...
Mon 10/11/03 at 18:36
Regular
"8==="
Speed Kings is currently the next-gen Roadrash. It does have a retro feel to it like playing the earlier versions of Road Rash (pre-N64). This is good as it has the great old gameplay (racing, traffic, cops and punching people off motor bikes etc) combined with the new options including a burnout style boost meter which builds up as you bounce of the sides of vehicles and tricks which also build up your boost meter. The have also included extra challenges to do in each race (Jump a certain distance, knock off x many riders etc).

The main game's two player co-op/vs (depending on how you play) and even while playing two player you can unlock more levels so progressing in the game doesn't have to be a solitary affair (not that the 1 player's bad!)

Battle Engine aquila is the offline game I wanted Mech Assault to be, this really is brilliant with full blown battles (and I mean LOADS of units) where you play a major role with the mech you've chosen to play. I've only progressed a little way into the game (Mission 8 Ithink) but I can already tell this game should be on any person who enjoy's mech games' list.

Dead to Rights is an interesting approach to the Max Payne style of gaming and it works really well. The game is presented in style and it all gels togeather to create a very nice little "in-between Max Payne's game".

I'm glad I started it on easy. I've just gotten a little further than beating the clown mask guys.

Blood Rayne - So far I've just killed my first Nazi having completed the demon bit. It's great stuff! The style reminds me of Shadowman except it's not so easy to get lost. So far I'm prefering this to buffy as it's a better feeling playing the Anti-hero rather than the bloody cheerleader. Feeding off enemies to replenish your health looks excellent and there appears to be more character models than the original buffy game. So far this is proving to be a brilliant and slick game which is presented in an adult style (2000 AD fans who've seen the Durham Red vampire character will feel very much at home here).

More on these as play continues....
Sat 08/11/03 at 20:08
Regular
"8==="
*Ahem*

*Clears throat*

Let me put it this way:

I'm off to play 'em now

*Goes off to play said game*
Sat 08/11/03 at 19:46
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
Its all down to opinion
> and I suppose some people don't mind what they play.

Indeed, all the games are fun, not perfect, but to be honest I'd rather have fun than twiddle my thumbs waiting for perfection.

Ripped off? Hardly. I enjoy what I've bought.
Fri 07/11/03 at 21:54
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Blood Rayne is a decent game, kind of like Buffy with blood and
> Nazi's, and bullet time.

and leather....dont forget that...that alone is what makes it worth purchasing...
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:35
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Blood Rayne is a decent game, kind of like Buffy with blood and Nazi's, and bullet time.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:20
Regular
But the fact you could have got 2 top Xbox games and a decent classic range game for the same price from Amazon... Its all down to opinion and I suppose some people don't mind what they play.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:16
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Because I'm bored (and waiting for a download to finish before I play Rainbow) I'll try a certain games site for the games Hedfix bought to see what they would have cost:

Amazon

Bloodrayne 19.99
Speed Kings 16.99
Dead To Rights 19.00 (secondhand price)
Battle Engine 34.99
Thing 19.99

Total 110.96

AGME

Bloodrayne 19.99
Speed Kings 19.99
Dead To Rights 39.99 new so Game would sell secondhand for 29.99
Battle Engine 19.99
Thing 19.99

Total 109.95

Special Reserve

Bloodrayne 29.99
Speed Kings 18.99
Dead To Rights 35.99 new so say £25 secondhand ?
Battle Engine 36.99
Thing 19.99

Total 130.96

So Hedfix has saved a minimum of £30 on internet prices, and actually gone out into the real world to buy them. If he normally goes to SR then he saved a massive 50.96 on their prices but if he had bought from SR he would have got 5 reddies to exchange for a gift. At game he would have got points equalling a 2.50 rewards voucher, at Amazon sweet FA.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:12
Regular
Bargain? They range from absolute bollo*ks to average at the best of times. I would say you were ripped off.
Fri 07/11/03 at 20:02
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmm let me see....

5 games at estimated RRP of 30-odd quid when they first came out: 150 quid

Price I paid for 5 games: 80 quid

Just over half the value they were originally at? Bargain? Indeedy.

If I'd bought two games directly from the games publishers it would've cost me 80 quid for 2 games.
Fri 07/11/03 at 16:12
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You got those 5 games for £80 and you think you got a bargain?
>
> Heh, some people make me laugh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.