GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Really, really unhappy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/02/07 at 16:42
Regular
I purchased a domain name on the assumption I would recieve free web hosting. Unfortunately it is very covertly advertised on the site that you need to be a Freeola Internet customer to recieves these services (despite paying for a domain and therefore becoming one).

The Getdotted website clearly states webspace is free, yet when I attempt to access it on Freeola, I am confronted with a £3 per month charge.

They are basically advertising free hosting, then making us pay for it.

Either way, I am very unhappy.

However, I have given up and have webspace elsewhere. I have attempted to change the DNS settings to the new provider, and they wont show up as changed, hours and hours later?

Can anyone assist me on this issue?
Mon 07/05/12 at 22:41
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Mikeb wrote:
They do generally help if you send in a support ticket, but will not admit that the php is mis-configured and that the form mail does not work (even using exactly as on the help pages)... it is always the fault of the customers (our) code.

I've had a brief look through the tickets associated with your account (the one you've posted from) and I can't see any tickets in reference to these particular issues, did you call by any chance?

If you have any outstanding issues please do send in another ticket as I can't think of many times where we haven't been able to resolve form -> mail related issues or been able to offer work arounds to configuration differences.
Mon 07/05/12 at 07:39
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Mikeb wrote:
It is a shame that freeola do not make it VERY Clear that you need to use one of their internet connections to upload via FTP.

Morning Mikeb and all ...

I would have thought that this statement regarding FTP was clear enough:

"Before you start with the FTP upload please ensure at this point that you have your Freeola internet connection currently connected or your domain name is signed up for our VIP Hosting service. "

But maybe not then?
Mon 07/05/12 at 05:58
Regular
It is difficult when in such a situation, but freeola staff will just tell you that's the rules we have set, we are right you are wrong, or not worth listening to even though the money you pay gives us our salary!

They do generally help if you send in a support ticket, but will not admit that the php is mis-configured and that the form mail does not work (even using exactly as on the help pages)... it is always the fault of the customers (our) code.

It is a shame that freeola do not make it VERY Clear that you need to use one of their internet connections to upload via FTP.

DL - I have been with freeola for easily that many years, but it was a very cheap option in the early days... now you must look at what you get for your money and I do not see the value we once had.

Nmmm - I do not think the my SQL will become part of the standard package any time soon, it is so difficult to understand via freeola than with, lets say, cpanel... also you can only use the database on once and not create a way to use it over two sites as far as I see.

I am lazy and can not be bothered looking around, but there is alot of great web-space out there and most use easy to understand pricing and great cpanel (& other) easy to use back offices.

Freeola web mail and mySql back office are rubbish and not only that the help pages lead to dead links...

And that is why we pay a premium!!!
Fri 30/03/12 at 20:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
Freeola isn't free
It costs folks like you and me

:P

EDIT: Seriously though, if an ISP was offering something like free email addresses you would kind of expect that you needed to be customer to benefit from that, would you not? Subscribing to Freeola (in order to benefit from the free web hosting) seems reasonable enough to me.
Fri 30/03/12 at 15:28
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Is it tme for another debate about the meaning of the word free? :-)
Fri 30/03/12 at 14:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice statement WH ... but probably will fall on 'deaf ears' or not appear to 'blind eyes' in this case :¬)
Fri 30/03/12 at 12:14
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I can openly admit to interpreting information incorrectly myself sometimes, when doing so caused me to believe that there was some benefit to myself. I think Eccles has stated it rather well, and would advise anyone to feel free to look again should they feel that this has occurred.

Besides interpretation, each service has a fully fleshed out, detailed and descriptive service page. This service page details information quite clearly, albeit in a marketing sense. Where required they contain terms and links to further info.

At the end of the day each person will interpret information differently, and should anyone feel that anything is obviously misleading (whilst lacking any 'with Freeola Internet' or an obvious link to further details) then we invite customers to submit this information constructively to us through official means.
Thu 29/03/12 at 22:46
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
http://freeola.com/web-hosting/
First paragraph: 'Pick from our
free unlimited hosting with a Freeola internet connection'

http://freeola.com/free-email/
First paragraph again: 'Freeola's
Unlimited E-mail is available free of charge to all Freeola Broadband and Dial-Up
Internet users, or for just £2 per month with Freeola EmailPro.'

http://freeola.com/website-builder/
Does mention it being free for our broadband users and clear displays the price if you don't have a broadband connection with us. A 1 page version is also free for each domain you have with us. No Freeola internet connection is needed for InstantPro.

http://getdotted.com
Right on the front page 'Free hosting offer available to UK residents only and subject to terms and conditions and a Freeola connection to the internet (you can choose from our Pay As You Go or Anytime dial-up connection or high-speed broadband options).'
Thu 29/03/12 at 22:45
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
'Query away chum' and take it up with Essex Trading Standards but alot of us here are very, very happy with our service and support from Freeola and I've been here for at least 12 years :¬)
Thu 29/03/12 at 20:42
Freeola really should make it clearer as to what it means by getting a free site, site builder, emails at your domain etc with a freeola account. I'm not impressed and I feel as though I have been scammed. I might query it with Essex Trading Standards.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.