GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Kart's review on ign - 7.9?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Kart Double Dash'.
Thu 13/11/03 at 13:37
"cheerios"
I don't know whether this has been said before and okay, so I haven't played the game yet so I can't really say anything but a 7.9?!!!! They're rating things like Return of The King better than mario kart which i frankly don't believe. They're saying:
"Nintendo itself has said it is a company that innovates and is a company that does not want to deliver cookie-cutter sequels. Unfortunately, that's just what Double Dash!! is. It's good, clean multiplayer fun but it doesn't progress far beyond the N64 version other than in the visual department. In fact, it introduces new imbalances to the item system and has axed a few trusted control mechanics like the hop."
and get this:
"I only hope that Nintendo pours more production into the sequel and remembers that just because Mario Kart was once designed for the younger crowd, doesn't mean it can't become an everyone title with some complexity to it."

"6.0 Presentation
Very little production value. This is very much Mario Kart 64 recreated. It gets the job done, but doesn't dazzle.

7.0 Graphics
Four-player runs at 60 frames per second -- its sweetest asset. Otherwise, just a really colorful, unique and bright title -- very much what you'd expect for Mario Kart.

6.0 Sound
Decidedly average MIDI tunes that fit the level thems, but do little to intrigue. Sound effects are offered up in effective Dolby Pro Logic II.

8.0 Gameplay
Multiplayer is its greatest achievement. Two-player Grand Prix is very entertaining and four-player versus is still a blast. Battle mode, however, has underdelivered.

7.0 Lasting Appeal
A small, predictable trail of unlockable content, but LAN support and the solid multiplayer make this a worthy one.

7.9 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average) "

I used to trust Ign but this review I think has put me off them.
Thu 13/11/03 at 18:18
Regular
"tokyo police club"
what's that sound I hear djerrud?

IT'S YOU SNAPPING!

AND THE GHEY MATE, DJERRUD!
Thu 13/11/03 at 18:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
But no one cares how long YOU'RE going to play it for.
Thu 13/11/03 at 18:11
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Lets face it.

No matter how crap it is, I'll spend 8 hours on it tomorrow.
Thu 13/11/03 at 18:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
What if you've never played a Mario Kart game before though? You won't care that it's the same, and you'll be able to judge it on it's own merits.
Thu 13/11/03 at 17:14
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I've played it.

Gameplay, just on the 2 races I had, should be a 9 at least.
Thu 13/11/03 at 17:07
Regular
Oh yes it deserves lower than True crime...!!!!!
Thu 13/11/03 at 16:47
Regular
I want them to think it's the nuts too.

But they've played it, we haven't. It seems a bit premature to pick them apart because they don't like something as much as we expected / wanted them to.

I was surprised to read it, but I'm reserving final judgement.
Thu 13/11/03 at 15:51
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Ok heres my take on this without actually having played the game...

*If* a game isnt perfect or innovative or graphically stunning with awesome gameplay and replay value then rightfully so the reviewer should mark the game down accordingly.

Now baring in mind all that i just said the only thing that MK DD brings to the table is awesome gameplay, the graphics dont look like they are pushing the console, the game itself has indeed been seen before and isnt anything new (apart from the tracks obviously, but the game itself is still old) now if IGN feel 7.9 is accurate in those circumstances then i applaud them for giving this score out.

Just because its perhaps the most anticiapted game this year, just because its MK and just because the original was great does NOT mean that this sequel automatically warrants a 9+ review rating.

Thats just my opinion, and ofcourse IGN's opinion may and will be different to many peoples opinions... it dosnt make the game bad, it just means that theres nothing much new here or simply outstanding about it hence the score (incidentally 7.9 is still a high score)
Thu 13/11/03 at 15:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
My guess is that they're a little bit annoyed at getting it at after Europe.
But most probably the review is by someone who never really liked Mario Kart 64.

How can they give the Gameplay 8? It's Mario Kart!
Thu 13/11/03 at 15:21
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Crap, crap, and, oh yes, crap.

It's a fantastic game. IGN are just probably crap at it. :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.