GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"! Warning gaming severely damages your health !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 11:59
Regular
Sound familiar? Probably not, but I am sure a few of you (Ant) will know what I am about to say. How can gaming ruin your health? I am sure some of you are interested in knowing so I will explain.

How many of the people on these forums wear glasses? I may not be right, but I am sure that quite a lot of us do. HOw can I say this? Well to me its quite obvious, staring and focusing at the games we play is giving us bad eye sight. I have prooof *not very good, but anyways*. Here it is.

I know 3 people who wear glasses, but didn't used too. Over the years each ones eyesight got progressively worse, along with games having more to look at. One of them always plays Game Boy games, a lot of squinting involved, and he has got glasses because of this. Another of my friends also plays a lot of GB games, but he also very plays me *gets whooped* on the N64. He also has to wear glasses due to straining his eyes too much. Although my third example proves that it isn't just squinting at the GBs small screen that causes bad eye sight. The third person under inspection very rarely plays on his GB, just his N64 and Dreamcast really, once again glasses for him.

Mind you, its not just gamers eye sights that suffer, Repetetive Strain Injury (RSI) is another problem. Serious gam culprits of this are Track and Field games and many light guns games. Some of you may not agree with me on the light gun games, but anyone who has completed House of the Dead 2 on the hardest difficulty will understand.

The amount of times you tap the buttons during an hour playing these games is phenomenal. While playing Track and Field games you are made to tap the buttons very quickly with small movements of the thumbs to be succesful. Doing this will increase your chances of getting RSI a lot. Obviously playing this type of gamefor shorter periods of time is a wise move, but try to avoid playing it for a long time if possible.

Your probably all wondering why I am warning you of these thing (no it isn't because I want to ruin your fun). Well I am telling you because my eye sight has got drastically worse over the years, gone are the days when I could see anything. Now I have trouble seeing anything too far away. This has given me trouble at school as I have had trouble seeing the board. I tell the teacher and a reply something like, "where are your glasses Mark?" comes back at me. The thing is I haven't got any, I have had trouble convincing my parents just how bad my eye sight is.

Until recently they thought it wasn't asa bad as I was making it out to be, but now they have realised that it is. Although I still haven't had my eyes tested. I had been holding it off until I had my brace out. Now its out I will probably have to get glasses, just like my friends.

So next time you are playing a game and your eyes hurt, consider what I have just said. Would you prefer to finish the level or have glasses? Of course you could just completely ignore me, but at least have a think about what I have said.

Thanks for reading, MJ.

(;o|
Tue 04/09/01 at 16:17
Regular
MJ, how old are your mates?

If they are around 13/14/15 then the need for glasses can be put down to puberty.

The body is going through change and growing, and some bits grow quicker than others. The same thing happens with eyes.

I needed glasses when I was 15. I hardly played games much then at all.

Now I play games loads and my eyes haven't changed for the last 2 years.

It's just one of those things. My mum and dad wear glasses, as do I, but my brothers eyesight is fine.

IT just happens to people...
Tue 04/09/01 at 16:14
Regular
"I am your father"
Strafex wrote:
> With the amout of time I stare at a TV/computer screen, I think I'd
> better eat a lot more carrots in my diet...

Maybe you just need to not look at them for a while.
Tue 04/09/01 at 16:07
Regular
With the amout of time I stare at a TV/computer screen, I think I'd better eat a lot more carrots in my diet...
Tue 04/09/01 at 15:37
Regular
My hands are like an 80 year olds...i got them from space invaders in 1985........

*random person*"yeah it was a pretty addictive video game"

video game?
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:40
Regular
"Back For Good"
I've been playing games since i was very young and spend countless hours in front of the TV and a monitor and I don't wear or need glasses. I really should be more carefull though because i'm on a computer course and have to be at a computer for long periods of time, I use a glare guard at home but you really should take a 15 minute break every hour.
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:35
Regular
"<];o)"
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
MJ§w€®v€ wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> Heck I can think of a much more pleasurable
> pastime that also,
> reportedly, damages your eye-sight.

> ** ** ** ** ** ** *

Hmmmmm, HOW pleasurable exactly Goaty? I
> thought your most pleasurable activit involved your wrist and hand
> mate *joke*, do not kill me.

That was kinda the whole joke.
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:27
Regular
"<];o)"
Goatboy wrote:
> Heck I can think of a much more pleasurable pastime that also,
> reportedly, damages your eye-sight.

Hmmmmm, HOW pleasurable exactly Goaty? I thought your most pleasurable activit involved your wrist and hand mate *joke*, do not kill me.

(;o|
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:25
Regular
"<];o)"
Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse?....good advice,...for a Big Mac!, what the hell are you on about man!?

Think about it, live longer into your life you will get to see the ways in which the pastime we all know as gaming evolves/dies. The future is gaming and you need to be alive to see it.

(;o|
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Heck I can think of a much more pleasurable pastime that also, reportedly, damages your eye-sight.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.