GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"! Warning gaming severely damages your health !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/09/01 at 11:59
Regular
Sound familiar? Probably not, but I am sure a few of you (Ant) will know what I am about to say. How can gaming ruin your health? I am sure some of you are interested in knowing so I will explain.

How many of the people on these forums wear glasses? I may not be right, but I am sure that quite a lot of us do. HOw can I say this? Well to me its quite obvious, staring and focusing at the games we play is giving us bad eye sight. I have prooof *not very good, but anyways*. Here it is.

I know 3 people who wear glasses, but didn't used too. Over the years each ones eyesight got progressively worse, along with games having more to look at. One of them always plays Game Boy games, a lot of squinting involved, and he has got glasses because of this. Another of my friends also plays a lot of GB games, but he also very plays me *gets whooped* on the N64. He also has to wear glasses due to straining his eyes too much. Although my third example proves that it isn't just squinting at the GBs small screen that causes bad eye sight. The third person under inspection very rarely plays on his GB, just his N64 and Dreamcast really, once again glasses for him.

Mind you, its not just gamers eye sights that suffer, Repetetive Strain Injury (RSI) is another problem. Serious gam culprits of this are Track and Field games and many light guns games. Some of you may not agree with me on the light gun games, but anyone who has completed House of the Dead 2 on the hardest difficulty will understand.

The amount of times you tap the buttons during an hour playing these games is phenomenal. While playing Track and Field games you are made to tap the buttons very quickly with small movements of the thumbs to be succesful. Doing this will increase your chances of getting RSI a lot. Obviously playing this type of gamefor shorter periods of time is a wise move, but try to avoid playing it for a long time if possible.

Your probably all wondering why I am warning you of these thing (no it isn't because I want to ruin your fun). Well I am telling you because my eye sight has got drastically worse over the years, gone are the days when I could see anything. Now I have trouble seeing anything too far away. This has given me trouble at school as I have had trouble seeing the board. I tell the teacher and a reply something like, "where are your glasses Mark?" comes back at me. The thing is I haven't got any, I have had trouble convincing my parents just how bad my eye sight is.

Until recently they thought it wasn't asa bad as I was making it out to be, but now they have realised that it is. Although I still haven't had my eyes tested. I had been holding it off until I had my brace out. Now its out I will probably have to get glasses, just like my friends.

So next time you are playing a game and your eyes hurt, consider what I have just said. Would you prefer to finish the level or have glasses? Of course you could just completely ignore me, but at least have a think about what I have said.

Thanks for reading, MJ.

(;o|
Wed 05/09/01 at 12:45
Regular
"i'll destroy you al"
Well i don't think it does parents ect. just say that games damage your health to try and keep you away from them.

That's what i've always thought anyway!

We've all got our own opinion so that's fine by me if you think differently.
Tue 04/09/01 at 20:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Aye, but anyone who does that is just stupid.
Tue 04/09/01 at 20:52
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
ahem, but try sitting with your eyes a couple of Centimetres away from your monitor for say.... 10 minutes.
Then come away and look for yourself.
Tue 04/09/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Bad eyesight is a genetic trait and cannot be affected by playing games/watching TV/staring into a monitor or any of that old wives' bullcrap.
Tue 04/09/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Ant wrote:
> Why would I know what your about to say?? Cos of that topic on Life
> forums about looking at screens?

Maybe I've become a little
> short-sighted thanks to playing games, but I don't care all that
> much. I am determined to become a successful author when I'm older,
> so I'll be looking at screens quite a lot. {:)

But but. If you eyesight gets so bad you won't be able to see the screen, thus, not becoming a successful author.

I doubt it will get that bad.

Thanks MJ for bringing this up, I may now stop for a brake when my eyes hurt.
Tue 04/09/01 at 19:56
Regular
rosie and jim are minions of the anti christ
Tue 04/09/01 at 19:29
Regular
shaneo wrote:
> I've had glasses since I was 4, cos I sat really close to the
> TV...watched Rosie and Jim too much as a kid :D.

i used to love rosie and jim and postman pat and fireman sam and rainbow, god we'll be here for days.

by the way, i wear glasses, nothing to do with games, it runs in the family. my dad wears them, my mum, my grandma, my nana and even more people!
Tue 04/09/01 at 18:36
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I've had glasses since I was 4, cos I sat really close to the TV...watched Rosie and Jim too much as a kid :D.
Tue 04/09/01 at 18:31
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I wear glasses:(
Tue 04/09/01 at 17:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Why would I know what your about to say?? Cos of that topic on Life forums about looking at screens?

Maybe I've become a little short-sighted thanks to playing games, but I don't care all that much. I am determined to become a successful author when I'm older, so I'll be looking at screens quite a lot. {:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.