GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gameplay.com review (read)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/09/01 at 23:36
Regular
Okey Dokey...
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:39
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I know NOTHING about Gameplay, and this 'post' doesn't help...am I missing something?
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:38
Special Reserve cannot possibly be losing money on this venture.

I could do the research from cold, but does anyone know when Special Reserve began online business?

Judging by the domain names they’ve acquired, it would seem they planned this move well in advance of trading on-line.
Wed 05/09/01 at 22:26
Regular
Dan2K1 wrote:
> Okey Dokey...

I think he is insulting Gameplay. I used to use them alot they are ok but compared to other internet sites paticulary this one they are utter rubbish, im not just saying that i got tonnes from Gamepaly but i thought there was a catch to SR prices but i was wrong this is better!
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:22
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I didn't think Gameplay was much competition for Sr anyway, Sr's chatrooms and discussion forums are much better than any webcam + you seem to be giving away 2 games and a DVD of the winners choice every day! surely you'd be loosing a lot of money aswell?
Tue 04/09/01 at 13:07
Regular
"I am your father"
*Looks at Tony's speech and laughs*

Don't buy what you can't afford. That's the first thing they teach you. 1 pound? I'd have bought that.
Tue 04/09/01 at 12:46
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
(Hmm - thinks about removing this)

Gameplay was originally a sole trader called Dylan Wilk but he had no internet presence at all.

Along came Mark Strachan who used to run the publisher Domark. Mark owned the name Gameplay.com.

Mark agreed with Dylan to float and merge and also agreed a deal with British Telecom to acquire Wireplay and the domain Gameplay.co.uk.

Upon Floatation at Gameplay PLC paid about £5 million to Dylan for the old Gameplay and Dylan became the youngest Director of a public company. The also paid about £5 million to BT out of the £30 odd million which they raised.

Gameplay PLC began selling on the Sky's Open channel and Sky became a partner too. They quickly went through their first £30 million but because their share price was sky high they managed to raise another £60 million.

They made some acquisitions abroad and lost the whole bundle of £92 million in total, over a period of just 18 months.

As Gameplay the original was losing money they sold it to the management team (not including Dylan) for a crazy £1, fully inclusive of the web site, a chunk of other assets "worth £1 million" and a licence on the domain name (doh).

The new company (which is really the old company that they bought in the first place for £5 million) is now making bullishly impossible predictions about selling one in twenty of all games sold in the UK. It's trimmed back its costs and is trading "normally" and completely separately to the now defunct PLC of the same name.
Mon 03/09/01 at 23:49
WERE.

READ THE BOTTOM.

OK?
Mon 03/09/01 at 23:44
Regular
"I am your father"
Saying how good Gameplay are on Special Reserve? Well I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. But this was going a bit to far, apologise to Tony and I'll think about forgiving you.
Mon 03/09/01 at 23:36
Okey Dokey...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.