GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NFSU: First Views"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Need for Speed: Underground'.
Sat 22/11/03 at 13:28
Regular
Well, got this yesterday and had the opportunity to play it this morning.

This game is truly brilliant. The graphics are top notch, the soundtrack is kickin' and the physics & AI are fantastic.

Ok, so you start off with a crappy selection of cars, but obviously the idea is to work your way through the ranks and tune up your car. It ain't easy either - upon jumping into 'medium' difficulty, I soon lost my first few races - but that's mainly down to the fact the tracks are at night and it can be a little tough navigating round seemingly hidden corners!

There looks to be four race types - circuit (obviously a lap system), Sprint (one point to another in the quickest time), Drag (kind of the same as Sprint, but more focus is put on your shifting skills) and Drift (pull powerslides for style and points).

The first three modes are pretty simple and straightforward, but Drift mode can be a b*tch sometimes as one tap of the wall loses all your points for that drift.

The car I chose was the Honda Civic - purely because I know these are good racers in real life and a lot can be done to them (although most mods in the game are universal). I gave it a black paint job, added front. side and rear skirts and a new spoiler. Then slapped some 16's on there, painted them a black/chrome type colour and fitted a blue neon to the underside. Later, after a few races, I managed to tune the engine, drivetrain, brakes, tyres and turbo.

Well, I'll leave you with that I guess. I'm no good at reviews, plus I've got to go out now and pick my g/f up from work.

Let us know your views if you have it, and someone may want to comment on Online - I haven't tried that yet.

Anyways, I'm off.
Tue 02/12/03 at 12:42
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Think I'll get this but was wondering if theres any differences between PS2/Cube/PC versions ?
Tue 02/12/03 at 11:19
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
ßulle††™ wrote:

> So can you have more than one car then? Everytime I look at the new
> car page, it seems I can only trade.
>
> Or do you mean new cars that have been unlocked for use outside of
> Underground mode?

Yeah you can only have one car in underground mode, some times it really is worth trading in when a better one is available to choose.

But all the cars and parts you unlock in underground mode can be customised for use for the quick race, split screen and online play.
Tue 02/12/03 at 07:15
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> But enjoyed the underground mode and now have some pretty impressive
> cars to mess around the 2 player mode with.

So can you have more than one car then? Everytime I look at the new car page, it seems I can only trade.

Or do you mean new cars that have been unlocked for use outside of Underground mode?
Mon 01/12/03 at 19:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Finally got round to finishing it and unlocking everything.

Online mode is alright but it does seem to be the person with the best car wins and also a few cheaters with unlimited NOS etc just ruin it.

But enjoyed the underground mode and now have some pretty impressive cars to mess around the 2 player mode with.
Wed 26/11/03 at 10:03
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Sounds like it suffers from Midnight Club 2 syndrome. If the winner/loser is already decided by who has the best/most cars then nobody is going to feel like playing it online. It doesn't work as an online game, just a demonstration of how far through the offline mode you've gotten.
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:30
Regular
*looks at post he made*

I see you already know my problem. Oh well. My whole internet is fappin' useless at the moment. Can't even play Mojojojo's SR game! :(
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:29
Regular
I had a go, but kept getting a DNAS error...
Tue 25/11/03 at 20:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just seems to get better and better. Unlocked more stuff and the tracks and races have more challenge in them as you progress.

Tried a few times to get online earlier but it wouldn't work, anyone else online with it?
Sun 23/11/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Getting more and more into it as I play through it.
Unlocked a few things and tried out all the race modes.

Gave it a shot online but got totally horsed as I had to use one of the sponsor cars and the guy I played had his own car from the underground mode that he obviously had played for quite some time...

So I think I'll try get a better car before trying that again.
Sat 22/11/03 at 21:53
Regular
Im really tempted to get this game, the advert makes it look good :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.