GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Are So Many People Horrible To Each Other?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/09/01 at 21:52
Regular
Okay, when you read this post you may think that I reckon I'm a saint or something, but you'd be wrong. I'm far from it, although I like to think of myself as a good person-or a better person since I became a christian.

Anyway, I'd like to tell you a small story. A couple of nights ago I went to McDonalds and the Cinema for 2 of my friends joint-birthday part. They both invited about 3 people each.

Now, the person who invited me is the person who helped me to get baptised. He is also...to put it blatently, rather fat-not that it's really his fault. He tries hard to lose it, but nothing seems to work. In our little group of friends, we take the mickey out of eachother quite a lot, and he is normally the target. From now on, we'll call him Boy1.

As it was partly his birthday, I thought, "Well hopefully they'll leave off him tonight. Hopefully they'll be nice."

We got there and went into McDonalds, everything seemed fine. I went and took a seat with 1 other friend. Then, while Boy1 was ordering, Boy2 (the person who takes the mick out of him the most,) came up to my table, sat down, and invited everyone else to sit their, saying, "Make boy1 sit on his own!"

Fortunately, Boy1 sat with one other person on his table, but I still thought it was unfair. He seemed happy enough, but I am disappointed with myself for not going and sitting with him.

Boy1 had said earlier he was gonna get a DVD Player. He didn't in the end, and Boy2 purposefully asked him if he got it. Boy1 said no, and Boy2 sniggered, along with a few of the others.

Then we went onto the cinema. As we went up the steps to our seats, I checked that Boy1 was sitting in the middle of a few people. He was. I sat down between 2 people, looked to my right, and was surprised to see Boy1 sitting at the end of our group-I wasn't sure how that happened. He seemed happy though, and he was sitting to probably the funniest member of our group, but I still feel annoyed that I didn't offer my seat to him...should I have?? I'm not sure, to be honest...

As the movie went on, and afterwards, a few more jokes were cracked about him, most behind his back. I was really annoyed, and felt like saying something but as some of you, I am very unconfident as a person, and I just didn't have the courage. Inside I was thinking, "What's the point?? Why can't you just leave him for once!?"

So, what is the point of this topic?? It's basically the heading, why are people horrible to each other?? I asked Goatboy this question that very night, and he told me something which I also believe it's true. It's because by insulting others, people can feel better about themselves. He also said it's a way of denying that you've mucked up your life.

This topic reminds me of what John Coffey said in the Green Mile, about how every hurtful comments, every bad thing anyone did felt like something sharp piercing him (a bit like that, anyway, I can't remember what he said exactly,) and on that night, I felt the same way.

As I said, I'm not perfect, FAR from it. I've insulted enough people in my time, although mostly jokingly. Yeah, it's okay to take the mick a little, and as long as it's only a little joke, but to do it at their birthday party really gets to me...

I would like to hear your views on this subject.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 04/09/01 at 02:23
Regular
"I am your father"
The world is a cruel place, human beings are not nice individulas. As a general group of creautes I cannot see any more selfish? Every other group there is look out for each other and have nothing to envy from their neighbors. But we do, I could write on this topic for hours as I have the same beliefs as you, but at 2:30 in the morning I'm affraid I'm just to tired.
Mon 03/09/01 at 19:31
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Ant wrote:
> VenomByte wrote:
Oh, and tell him to get a PS2 if he wants a DVD
> player ;)

I did, but he says he's 'grown out of gaming.' {:)

Grown out of gaming? Never! You can't!
Mon 03/09/01 at 16:33
Regular
"I like cheese"
VenomByte wrote:
Oh, and tell him to get a PS2 if he wants a DVD player ;)

I did, but he says he's 'grown out of gaming.' {:)
Mon 03/09/01 at 09:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
Andrew Hunt wrote:
> It's ok to insult each other as long as it is not all about one
> person. In the example if boy2 had had it taken out of him for
> omething else then it would be OK.

Yes, this is true as well.

Another problem is that although Boy1 may try to throw an insult back, no one will find it funny as they all seem to be on Boy2's side. This gets to me a little as well.
Mon 03/09/01 at 09:13
Regular
It's ok to insult each other as long as it is not all about one person. In the example if boy2 had had it taken out of him for omething else then it would be OK.
Sun 02/09/01 at 21:41
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Hmmm

Me and mates love to joke about... taking the mick out each other...

Me: Get made fun because I am crap at guitar... * ****** * ***** **** when I was out my face... I like the Manic Street Preachers.

Mate 1: Worse than guitar at me... has worst taste in music... can talk complete bollards and a male something who can't hold down relationship.

Mate 2: Clumsy git and wants to get in with Thom Yorke :-D

Mate 3: Looks like Rodney out of Only Fools and Shaggy out Scooby Doo and resembles Jesus.

Mate 4: Dunce at school but gets his own back by showing us he is the best bass player in Scotland.

Mate 5: Kissed a really ugly bird while out his face... and something else can't repeat here.

So there we just get boring and repeat same jokes about each other no harm

Actually I am taking out a bit about me :-)

Why did I write that again?
Sun 02/09/01 at 21:26
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I do think that Boy2 was wrong, along with the other sniggers. I have a few "fat" friends and yea we take the mick but not hurtfully, never, thats just plain wrong.

Especially on his Birthday, C'mon. So how come Boy2 was invited?

Anyway, why people are horrible to others? Ususally because they are different. Fat, thin, no friends, weak, Black or asian, poor. These are just some things that people get picked on about.

Personnaly I would have give Boy2 a pounding but maybe others are scared off him. People say this "Violence is never the anwser"

In school I think sometimes violence is the anwser. SOMETIMES. Never after the age of about 15. because then it gets nasty. Knifes and stuff. Do not fight people who are going to burn your house down. But if you give someone who is picking on you a good punch they won't be ready for it.

They pick on you because you won't hit them. If you do other people will look at you differently, It may stop people picking on you or it may get worse. Do what you think it the right thing, not what someone else thinks.
Sun 02/09/01 at 19:33
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Everyone jokes around and takes the mickey out of each other. I've been on the receiving end from time to time, but it's all okay - so long as it's only joking around, rather than actually being mean to someone. Also it's important that the rest of the group are targetted sometimes too - making fun of the same person all the time, even in jest, is a little harsh.

Still, the way people act changes as they get older, particularly when they reach the point of not constantly trying to impress and outdo each other.

Oh, and tell him to get a PS2 if he wants a DVD player ;)
Sun 02/09/01 at 18:47
I'm not sure I have much to add to the good advice you have already got here. The only other tactic I could suggest is distancing yourself from Boy 2. If he is an unrepentent nasty bit of ...... then he will not notice your absence. If he has half a brain he may come back and ask you why you have gone distance. You can then use the oppourtunity to very calmly explain to him that you didn't appreciate his behaviour. That you are in put in a difficult position by it, that its makes you feel uncomftable and you don't want to be around it.
With bullies there is always conflicting emotions and advice. As a christian I'm sure you are familiar with both "an eye for an eye" and "turning the other cheek". Different situations demand differenet responses. No one can tell you what to do in this situation. You have to do what you feel is right.
Finally there are a lot of good people in the world. People you can have a laugh with, where people take the mick and no one is offended or upset. It takes a bit of maturity and insight to have friendships that work. My personal theory is life is too short to be surrounded by idiots. There are plenty of good people out there. Don't waste your time with idiots - give them a chance and then make your move.
Sun 02/09/01 at 02:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That too.

Some people are just born wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.