GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MSN Virus Warning..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/09/01 at 18:35
Regular
Another virus is going round called PIC1234.exe. I discovered this when Big Red Machine from FOG tried to send it to me. I looked the the extension and it was .exe, so I knew that it was suspect. I delcined the download and I wondered why he would try and send it to me.

Then, I approach Ant on MSN and he is also infected. He also wants to send me the virus but it is in exactly the same wording as Big Red Machine's invitation. Ant informed me that it was automated and there was nothing he could do about it. He tried to delete it but it said "Access Denied".

I have just been informed by Big Red Machine that the username of the person is "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" and his real name is Tony ( not from SR :D ).

So, under all circumstances, do not accept any pictures that have an .exe extenstion. Infact, only download picture with the extensions .jpg, .bmp, or .gif, unless you are 100% sure that the file is a picture.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. The hunt goes on for this "Tony" character.
Sun 02/09/01 at 17:06
shaneo wrote:
> Yes Big Slow, this is coming from Mystique.

what you on about?
Sun 02/09/01 at 17:05
big_slow wrote:
> if it says (1) or (1)(1) after it that means the dumc person sending
> ti you accepted the file more than once because you cant have to
> same file names so the comp puts a (1) after the name

Might not have been the person sending it to u, this could of happened way down the line b4 the person trying to send it to u even got the file.
Sun 02/09/01 at 16:47
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Yes Big Slow, this is coming from Mystique.
Sun 02/09/01 at 16:40
if it says (1) or (1)(1) after it that means the dumc person sending ti you accepted the file more than once because you cant have to same file names so the comp puts a (1) after the name
Sun 02/09/01 at 15:37
Its quite easy to bind an exe into a jpg.
Sun 02/09/01 at 15:33
it doesnt exactely send itself to every1 on ure contact list, only the people u talk to. It does this by asking if u want a pic then asks u to either accept or decline the file named something like pic1324(1)(1).exe. Always decline this file and inform the person you are talking to that they have a virus, send them here on info on how to get rid of it.

A tip for any1 who has no idea about computer file extensions

Pctures will be in many forms but mostly .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .gif

DO NOT accept a picture if it has file extensions like .exe, its likely to be a virus.

Hope ths all helps some1
Sun 02/09/01 at 14:53
nobody on SR started it, its worldwide. the virus sends to all your contacts so somebody on sR must have sent it to there mates but did not start it.
Sun 02/09/01 at 14:45
Regular
"<];o)"
Oh great another virus for me too look out for. At least I am not using my PC at the mo.
Sat 01/09/01 at 21:20
Regular
"I like cheese"
Cheers Vigilante!!
Sat 01/09/01 at 19:56
Ok boys and girls, heres a full ist of instructions of how to rid ure system of that virus if it is infected, dont worry its not harmful, its just designed to spread as fast as it can, it does nothing bad to ure system. These instructions are actually included within the virus which shows that it is not made to harm ure PC.

1) Click Start, select Run. The Run dialog box pops up.

2) Type: msconfig The System Configuration Utility pops up.

3) Click the Startup tab at the top. In the list, find MsgSprd, Messenger, or pic1324, uncheck, press Apply,then press Ok.

4) Restart your computer Or press Ctrl-Alt-Del (Task Manager), select Msg Sprd from the list, then press End Task.

You may freely delete the files or the 'C:Messenger1324' directory.

Also delete the .exe file that you accepted in messenger, this will be in the c:/My documents/Messenger revieved files/ folder.

Hope this helps every1 !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.