GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pffft Dues Ex 2 demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deus Ex 2: Invisible War'.
Tue 25/11/03 at 12:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I only got as far as playing the demo to the original Deus Ex, but I did enjoy it while it lasted. Still haven't got the game though, but after playing this turgid demo maybe I should buy that instead of it's over confident successor.

It all looks good, albeit, for a console game. No this isn't going to be an argument about PCs Vs Consoles, but I just can't help feeling I'm playing the X-Box demo of the game, not the PC. Graphics do look nice, but not as smooth as they should be, certainly nothing like the screenshots I've seen, and to futhur add confusion over which platform this demo has been made for, looking in the options menu I find the ability to switch off "Vibration"!!!

The level you get is big, but hardly a great way to show off the game. You have a task to complete, you can complete it a couple of different ways blah blah blah, despite this, I never felt like I could approach the objective how I wanted, it all felt a tad too linear to me. Combat is crap, never before has it been implemented so badly in a game, confrontations with bad guys is slow and cumbersome which only leave the path open to stealth play, which thanks to the moronic A.I. this isn't particularly easy or fun.

Along with the stupid interface, put right in the middle of the screen, appalling looking character models as well as numerous other faults, this demo has hardly convinced me that the final product will be worthy of investment. Sure, I know this is just a demo and things could (and should) be fixed for the final release, but unless some drastic changes are made I'm not touching this one. Ion Storm better not screw up Thief 3 in the same way.
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Exaclty, WHY?! was it so amazing?

I couldn't see it myself......
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Evil Always Wins!"
Deus Ex 1 was so damn amazing, WHY, WHY?
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Evil Always Wins!"
If you want to see how pi**ed off everyone is with Ion Storm about the awfulness of Deus Ex, go to official forum, at www.ionstorm.com/forum. There are not many happy Deus Ex 1 fans out there. I've composed a list of all the problems people have brought up, here we go:

1) Graphics aren't all they were cracked up to be.
2) The AI is absoloutely awful. Really, it is.
3) The physics of the game are nothing compared to the likes of Max Payne 2
4) There is one type of ammo for every weapon, which also means no reloading.
5) The interface is just plain aqful.
6) The mouse feels very XBox like.
7) The jump is like having no gravity
8) Hacking is a lot more simplified
9) The voice acting is bad
10) The HUD gets in the way
11) Stealth is near impossibe
12) It takes about five shots to the head to kill someone
13) The prod takes about 10 seconds to take someone down, unlike in Deus Ex 1, which was instant.
14) You need a REALLY good PC
15) Pool tables and other objects do nothing
16) The inventory is ridiculous and unrealistic.
17) When you get a message, the text fills the screen.
18) There is no lean, making stealth even harder.
19) There is no location damage for the player, making it like a mindless FPS, which is what Deus Ex is not meant to be.
20) The game is too dark.

The main reason for most of these problems is that the PC version of DX:IW is basically a direct port from the XBox version, which we know just doesn't work. Ino Storm have abandoned their loyal PC fans in order to make more money and appeal more to the mass "casual" console market.

That all of the points above are true, but what I am most worried about is that poor combat and enemy AI. This effects the gameplay, and we all know what gameplay means to a game, EVERYTHING! I urge you to visit www.planetdeusex.com. Find the link to a petition to delay DX:IW in order for these problems to be fixed, and SIGN IT! We need you!
Tue 25/11/03 at 13:12
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Ah, System Shock 2, now that's a game even if it is a bit short and has a dodgy end level (fight your way through a giant maggot!?!?) and one thing I noticed about the original Dues Ex was that it ripped off the interface from SS2. Pity they didn't do the same for the sequel because the interface in the demo feels like your playing the game with a fishbowl on your head.

Anyway, this is one I longer have interest in anymore. It did look all right from the screenshots, but if it plays like the demo than it's going to need more than good looks to save it from the bargain bin. I'll wait for STALKER instead.
Tue 25/11/03 at 12:47
"Darkness, always"
I was extremely unimpressed with the original Deus Ex. Despite its claims to the contrary, it was incredibly linear and uninventive, and didn't seem to do anything to improve on the far superior System Shock II.

For some reason, a horde of people who never played SS2 (probably because it didn't get advertised as much) ran about screaming praise for Deus Ex, despite it being crap and outdated.

I won't touch DEII with a 10 foot pole. I know without seeing a single screenshot, a single piece of footage, without playing a single demo or reading a single review that this game will suck HARD.
Tue 25/11/03 at 12:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I only got as far as playing the demo to the original Deus Ex, but I did enjoy it while it lasted. Still haven't got the game though, but after playing this turgid demo maybe I should buy that instead of it's over confident successor.

It all looks good, albeit, for a console game. No this isn't going to be an argument about PCs Vs Consoles, but I just can't help feeling I'm playing the X-Box demo of the game, not the PC. Graphics do look nice, but not as smooth as they should be, certainly nothing like the screenshots I've seen, and to futhur add confusion over which platform this demo has been made for, looking in the options menu I find the ability to switch off "Vibration"!!!

The level you get is big, but hardly a great way to show off the game. You have a task to complete, you can complete it a couple of different ways blah blah blah, despite this, I never felt like I could approach the objective how I wanted, it all felt a tad too linear to me. Combat is crap, never before has it been implemented so badly in a game, confrontations with bad guys is slow and cumbersome which only leave the path open to stealth play, which thanks to the moronic A.I. this isn't particularly easy or fun.

Along with the stupid interface, put right in the middle of the screen, appalling looking character models as well as numerous other faults, this demo has hardly convinced me that the final product will be worthy of investment. Sure, I know this is just a demo and things could (and should) be fixed for the final release, but unless some drastic changes are made I'm not touching this one. Ion Storm better not screw up Thief 3 in the same way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.