GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pffft Dues Ex 2 demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deus Ex 2: Invisible War'.
Tue 25/11/03 at 12:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I only got as far as playing the demo to the original Deus Ex, but I did enjoy it while it lasted. Still haven't got the game though, but after playing this turgid demo maybe I should buy that instead of it's over confident successor.

It all looks good, albeit, for a console game. No this isn't going to be an argument about PCs Vs Consoles, but I just can't help feeling I'm playing the X-Box demo of the game, not the PC. Graphics do look nice, but not as smooth as they should be, certainly nothing like the screenshots I've seen, and to futhur add confusion over which platform this demo has been made for, looking in the options menu I find the ability to switch off "Vibration"!!!

The level you get is big, but hardly a great way to show off the game. You have a task to complete, you can complete it a couple of different ways blah blah blah, despite this, I never felt like I could approach the objective how I wanted, it all felt a tad too linear to me. Combat is crap, never before has it been implemented so badly in a game, confrontations with bad guys is slow and cumbersome which only leave the path open to stealth play, which thanks to the moronic A.I. this isn't particularly easy or fun.

Along with the stupid interface, put right in the middle of the screen, appalling looking character models as well as numerous other faults, this demo has hardly convinced me that the final product will be worthy of investment. Sure, I know this is just a demo and things could (and should) be fixed for the final release, but unless some drastic changes are made I'm not touching this one. Ion Storm better not screw up Thief 3 in the same way.
Sun 30/11/03 at 19:10
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Not sure on that front, as I don't usually check out such details, but I can tell you that my FX5600 wasn't too keen running the game at maximum settings.
Sun 30/11/03 at 12:46
Regular
what are the system specs for the pc version of the new deus ex?
the min and the recommended
Thu 27/11/03 at 10:35
Regular
"where's my tag?"
PC Gamer and PC ZOne will probably give it 95%.
Wed 26/11/03 at 23:10
Regular
"That's right!"
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all stealth games. I just hate stealth. Some games pull it off, namely realistic combat games (Hidden & Dangerous etc) but MGS2? Urgh... terrible. Deus Ex? Terrible...
Wed 26/11/03 at 17:31
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Did type out large post originally, but just lost it so I'll keep this one short and sweet - I'm stuck! I've killed the woman and it says you'll also got to kill her 5 henchmen. I've killed everything I've come across, but still no joy!

Talking to the pilot in the Greasel Pit, and he's telling me to finish the job. How frustrating...
Wed 26/11/03 at 14:51
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Damarus wrote:
> You can get force feedback controllers for the PC you know. As well
> as vibrating keyboards, mice and steering wheels.

Indeed, I found that out yesterday, but still, the demo does feel like it was meant for the console.

I'm with Mojo on this, I generally don't like stealth games with the exception being Thief 2 which is brilliant, and if your going to have stealth then you should at least cater for those who like a bit more action, which is exactly what Dues Ex 2 fails to do. Bah, should have known it was going to be crap, still it saves me spending £30 which I can use for something a bit more fulfilling.
Tue 25/11/03 at 22:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You can get other vibrating peripherals for the PC, but we wont go into those.
Tue 25/11/03 at 22:06
Regular
cipro wrote:
> and to futhur add confusion over which
> platform this demo has been made for, looking in the options menu I
> find the ability to switch off "Vibration"!!!

You can get force feedback controllers for the PC you know. As well as vibrating keyboards, mice and steering wheels.
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:29
Regular
"Evil Always Wins!"
I'd love to babysit a hyperactive 5 year old with a gun. Anyway, I think what I loved about Deus Ex was the great storyline and how the game really drew you in. Yes, combat was bad, yes, the graphics weren't amazing, but the gameplay WAS amazing. I bet you just gave up after the first level, didn't you? Because that level was pretty awful, since you didn't have any augmentations.
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:14
Regular
"That's right!"
I hated Deus Ex. Hated it. I hate stealth games, but this took the biscuit. Combat was TERRIBLE - sluggish, unresponsive, slow and about as fun as babysitting a hyper active five year old with a gun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.