GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X Box wireless broadband?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/11/03 at 19:55
Regular
Have a wireless network router with adsl and 3 pc's, anybody know if there is any wireless doobri out that will enable my xbox to access the router/broadband? Can play on live from lounge then without cables everywhere.
Thu 27/11/03 at 15:01
Regular
"relocated"
Nomino wrote:
> Of course, we all know that wireless routers and networks are for
> lamers who are incapable of neatly setting up a wired network, which
> is actually much, much more efficient and secure.

And what, I wonder, is so difficult about setting up a wired network? As far as I remember it involves putting one end of a cable in a router and the other end in a computer.
Thu 27/11/03 at 14:49
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Nomino wrote:

Absolute nonsense. So blindingly ignorant it's actually causing my temples to throb a little.

A wireless network is neither significantly more efficient nor more secure than a wired one in a domestic situation. Security first - who is going to be trying to get into your home private network anyway? If we ignore that little issue (I suppose there's a 1/10,000,000 chance that some bandwidth desperate fool may randomly try your house in the hopes of sitting out in the cold on his laptop with a free connection) it is also something that can be secured with, cheap/free software. Combining the two points together, I'd be more worried about local wildlife breaking into my house and chewing the power cables.

Now, efficient, and by that I'm guessing your referring to speed. 99% of home wireless networking will be used for internet browsing/downloading/gaming, so even budget wireless kit will meet the needs of the broadest of the UK’s broadbands by quite a stretch.

Then there's the issue of being locked down with wires. There are two laptops in my house, they are used in a range of rooms and wires really aren't an option for Jan. when ADSL goes live on my exchange. Further, the two main, static PCs are located at opposite ends of the house, running a wire discretely between the two would be a huge job. In short, wires = teh bad.
Thu 27/11/03 at 13:32
Regular
"Touched!"
Nomino wrote:

You really are a prat, a wireless network may not be more efficient or secrue but some people actually find it easier to setup, which means its easier for them, just because someone may not know jack about networking doesn't mean they are a 'lamer', if anyone is a lamer is you,for having such a one sided view, i know for a fact some people don't want loads of wires all over their house, thus having to spend ££'s on cable.
Thu 27/11/03 at 13:30
Regular
No we're not. The guy is on about taking his Xbox downstairs. I reckon wireless would be the better option if he cannot network the relevant rooms up with cables.

Plus, it means he can move the Xbox around without having to worry about cables, as I'm assuming he will be switching between lounge and bedroom quite a bit. It is a good idea really. Costly, but ideal if you're not experienced with networks.
Thu 27/11/03 at 13:01
Regular
Indeed, but we aren't talking about taking a laptop into the garden here are we?
Thu 27/11/03 at 08:22
Regular
Or perhaps they are more for convenience.

Why would you want cables coming out of your home if you decided to work on your laptop in you garden for example?

Or maybe you want to take your console into a different room but still want to get online.

Don't get me wrong, wired will always be the better option, but now there is a choice, and a lot of people can benefit from it.
Thu 27/11/03 at 08:19
Regular
Of course, we all know that wireless routers and networks are for lamers who are incapable of neatly setting up a wired network, which is actually much, much more efficient and secure.
Wed 26/11/03 at 10:40
Regular
Thanks for all the replies guys. Good call Bullitt on that site, went from there to another : http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk
Several good X-Box live compatable bridges - got one on order, will let u know how it goes.
Wed 26/11/03 at 07:41
Regular
I knew there was something like that that existed!

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Net Gear_ME101_Wireless_Ethernet_Bridge

You can probably get it cheaper than the above site, but at least it gives you a few companies to choose from.

I'll be getting one or two soon, when I get me Netgear DG834G...
Tue 25/11/03 at 21:05
Regular
not that I know of matey, but if you find out, notorious is looking for something similar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.