GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"wat if n64 was cd form?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 21:07
Regular
Ok here is a topic that will really make you think and have a little fun. We all know the N64 is a great system. It has had many great games and has lasted a gaming generation. But my question to you what if the N64 was CD-ROM based instead of cartridge based???? Would we be talking about the N64 as the greatest system ever to this point??? The N64 had arguably the best games for any system out while it was at its peak, Mario, Zelda, WWF No Mercy, Etc. Now don't forget that I said Arguably. I don't want any people replying about the best games for whatever system. But as we all know our beloved N64 was very limited in what it could do because of the cartridge format. Can you imagine Zelda, Rogue Squadron, or WWF No Mercy, with Full Cd quality sound, big elaborate cut scenes, longer levels, more animations. I think the impact the N64, if it were CD-Rom based could have been HUGE. Because graphics wise the N64 is still very very good, and with games that take advantage of the 4MB expansion Pak, it is that much better. Graphics wise the N64 Is much better than the PSX, that is a given. So with that in mind think about how much more Nintendo could have done if the N64 were CD-Rom Based.
Let me know what you think! - Peace!
Sat 01/09/01 at 00:05
Regular
Yeah they kept the door animation on the N64 version for some reason, it just gets annoying after a while.
Fri 31/08/01 at 23:59
Regular
"Back For Good"
Yeah I suppose, All the resident evil games have this awful loading technique when each time you change rooms the other room loads and the game displays a door opening or stairs.

Bah it sucks but each game has improved but the problem is still there, maybe the hdd will overcome this by installing the whole game and leave the dvd free for fmv and sound, even without this the games do seem to flow better each time.

The PSone games have worked around loading and the PS2 nearly have it cracked with the Hard drive but thats something nintendo have yet to challenge.

res
Fri 31/08/01 at 23:43
Regular
Im not sure how the gamecube works, I aint got a clue but anyway. A game like Zelda would be effected because the whole game is like one big level or world you could say, the slightest bit of loading would just spoil the experience.
Fri 31/08/01 at 23:40
Regular
"Back For Good"
Loading times don't affect gameplay, I've recently bought fantavision and as the fireworks from the finished level fade the new ones load, you hardly notice it.

SSX and a couple others have awful loading times where you see one word flash for a LONG time "loading" it's appauling. These seem to be the CD's because I have three DVD games and they all load quick enough to allow constant gameplay.

Some games need to run smoothly with no loading interference which is why loading is done before the game starts, Tomb raider is a good example the WHOLE level is loaded at the start screen, resident evil could do with a better loading system to get rid of them damn doors but even with loadng times improving the files get bigger d'oh.

Loading isn't a big problem to fuss over, I don't know the gamecube DVD speed but the playstation with it's 2x cd drive still managed to fit the loading into the game's gaps and the only people I've heard complain are N64 owners.

The PS2 has it sorted, The game runs off the DVD which is already good enough but many games will allow certain files to be installed onto the hard drive which of course requires NO loading.

I don't know exactly how the gamecube works, maybe someone can tell me?
Fri 31/08/01 at 19:52
Regular
Oh and a lot of N64 games did have full speach you only have too look at CBFD to work that one out.
Fri 31/08/01 at 19:51
Regular
I realise the good points of cds, better quality sound, FMV video (not sure if thats good). But games like Zelda just wouldn't have worked with any loading time at all. Judging by some of the loading times ive seen on the PS2 most games don't load in 10secs anyway.
Fri 31/08/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Back For Good"
Hahaha, sorry to laugh but you nintendo owners don't seem to understand the capabilites of CD's. While the N64 had nothing but text in speech bubbles and simple "woohoo" sounds, the PSX was giving FMV, VCD movie scenes, CD soundtracks, crystal clear speech and sound effects.

The loading times never bothered me because of the clever way they're set out, Tomb Raider for instance takes about 10 seconds for a 2 hour level to load and when it's loaded thats it and Most games load quietly in the background anyway.

The Playstation did however have a long sony computer entertainment.. etc screen which as fair annoying but the PS2 just flashes "plastation 2" for about 1 second then the DVD-roms load dead quick.
Cartridges may have no loading times whatsoever but they have limited performance and cost an unacceptable ammount, I can't believe that all these years N64 owners have put up with the prices WHOA!!!

Are nintendo owners familiar with the word demo, probably not but the official gamecube magazine will probably give a preview disc with each issue so you can try before you buy and play the latest games. Something other consoles have had for a long time.

res
Fri 31/08/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Rickoss wrote:
> The N64 was going to have an exrta part which u could buy which
> would increase the power of the N64 it was called the 64DD. Anyone
> heard of it?

My friends got one, it's not very good.
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:57
Who or what is a "Ninty"?
Fri 31/08/01 at 16:41
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yawn, we've ALL heard of it! And it was actually released in Japan!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.