GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"wat if n64 was cd form?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 21:07
Regular
Ok here is a topic that will really make you think and have a little fun. We all know the N64 is a great system. It has had many great games and has lasted a gaming generation. But my question to you what if the N64 was CD-ROM based instead of cartridge based???? Would we be talking about the N64 as the greatest system ever to this point??? The N64 had arguably the best games for any system out while it was at its peak, Mario, Zelda, WWF No Mercy, Etc. Now don't forget that I said Arguably. I don't want any people replying about the best games for whatever system. But as we all know our beloved N64 was very limited in what it could do because of the cartridge format. Can you imagine Zelda, Rogue Squadron, or WWF No Mercy, with Full Cd quality sound, big elaborate cut scenes, longer levels, more animations. I think the impact the N64, if it were CD-Rom based could have been HUGE. Because graphics wise the N64 is still very very good, and with games that take advantage of the 4MB expansion Pak, it is that much better. Graphics wise the N64 Is much better than the PSX, that is a given. So with that in mind think about how much more Nintendo could have done if the N64 were CD-Rom Based.
Let me know what you think! - Peace!
Sun 09/09/01 at 13:13
Regular
"DS..."
same here, nuff said.
slik ~_~
Sun 09/09/01 at 13:11
I like cartridge better than the Playstation disks, but when i like the gamecube disks even more than cartridges.
Fri 07/09/01 at 23:20
LOADING TIMES DO NOT EXIST!

errr... i hear you say.

Well, let's look at Soul Reaver. On both the DC and PS1 it has now loading times. So this could be used in other games if developers could be bothered to program it.

DOA2 is of a completely different format- every time you complete one level another must be loaded. But this is instant too! Good prgramming can eliminate load times!
Fri 07/09/01 at 23:17
Awesome Al wrote:
> The N64 is great as a cartridge format, and Nintendo have been in
> the business for a long time. So they obviously have reasons for not
> releasing it as a CD platform, probably because of the loading
> times. Only the good people at Nintendo know for sure.

NO! The main reason for the carts was money.

If you make a game on CD, anyone can make a cd and print games with your permission (ie, a small fee). With carts, only Ninty can print games, so they charge companies huge amounts for the carts, and thus make loads. How do you think that ninty, despite having a far smaller market share in the console market than Sony, made money last year, yet sony lost loads? Answer, horrendous publishing costs.

As it happens, nintendo is the biggest publisher in the world... not because they make many games (in fact, they hardly make any inhouse games), but because others are forced to go through them.

This was the main reason for Square abandonning ninty... who they had always been 100% committed to.
Fri 07/09/01 at 22:30
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Below is a list of all the people, or groups of people, that know Nintendo's reason for using cartridges:

Nintendo
kingklik
Fri 07/09/01 at 22:27
Regular
The N64 is great as a cartridge format, and Nintendo have been in the business for a long time. So they obviously have reasons for not releasing it as a CD platform, probably because of the loading times. Only the good people at Nintendo know for sure.
Wed 05/09/01 at 09:28
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
If it was CD for then every time you make a mistake and have to restart you'll have to wait a long time for it to load, which would be really annoying.
Tue 04/09/01 at 20:33
Kulgan wrote:
> Who or what is a "Ninty"?

this is akin to the guy who asked "By the way, who is BTW?"
hmmmm...

ninty is nintendo btw!
Tue 04/09/01 at 19:20
Only one thing came 2 mind when i read your topic, cheaper games.
Sat 01/09/01 at 01:16
Regular
Ö> wrote:
While the N64 had nothing but
> text in speech bubbles and simple "woohoo" sounds.

You must be refering to early N64 games. Conkers bad fur day had full speech and also had very long cut-scenes. Also done resi evil 2 with full speech and the FMVs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.