GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Radeon cards all that?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/12/03 at 08:44
Regular
I have a new P4 2.8 with 800 Mhz FSB PC with 512Mb DDR Ram (at the mo). It's one of those Shuttle PCs, SB61G I think. Can't use it till Xmas though.

Anyway, I'm going to be putting my Geforce4 Ti4600 (128Mb) card in it as you know the on-board graphics are going to be pretty standard. I have been satisfied with this card for some time now, and although I'm not getting benchmark results like the ones stated in the other thread, it does the job. It can run Max Payne 2 and XIII with everything cranked up - and this is only on a P4 1.7 with 512Mb NON-DDR Ram.

This new PC is going to be AGP 8X compatible and I was wondering whether to go for one of these Radeon 9800's etc. A lot of you seem to have them and no-one seems to have a bad thing to say about them.

The hardest paces the card will go through will be running graphics-heavy games, no video editing or anything else graphics-dependent.

Do you reckon it's worth it to upgrade from NVidia (who I thought led the market) to ATI (crap last time I checked - a long time ago)?

Thanks
Thu 04/12/03 at 07:50
Regular
Yeah thanks guys!

I didn't really think upgrading was necessary yet so I'll wait till HL2, then maybe I can splash out on a spanking new mofo'!

Thanks again!
Wed 03/12/03 at 20:37
"I love yo... lamp."
I think adrian is right. Currently it is probably worth hanging onto the GeForce 4. It is only a year or so old isn't it?

By the time Half Life 2 comes out in 4 months or whatever then there will be a new generation of cards out. So I think, seeing as you can still run games at the moment and fairly well at that, that it is a good idea to hang back on the new card just now.

That way if you buy a new one in 6 months time it will be a better one than you could have just now.
Tue 02/12/03 at 15:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
If you have the money go for a 9800XT 256mb. The Geforce Ti4600 is a great card, my friend has one in a XP2500 512mb RAM system and he can run games as well as I can with a XP2800 1Gb RAM and a 9800 Pro.

Nvida are still good and the old generation of cards prove that. What they have got wrong is there new FX cards. Basically DX9 is 24bit yet the FX cards use 32bit. Games like Halflife 2 and Doom 3 have had to be optimized for the FX cards. Also theres been the news that Nvida have cheated on bench mark tests, which isnt really good news for them.

So to be honest I would keep the Ti4600 for the moment as it will be able to still play all the latest games. Maybe upgrade when Halflife 2 comes out so that you can take advantage of DX9.
Tue 02/12/03 at 10:45
Regular
Well ATI cards have picked up in recent months, since the findings that Half Life 2 will run better on a radeon card. I own a 9600PRO and i'm quite pleased with it at the moment, All my games look great and run fast and gives good benchmark scores.

Now obviously, This arguement you pose could turn into the classic "nVidea is better then ATI" war, but most people on this forum don't seem to hold any bias towards certain cards.

You say you want a 9800 Pro, Remember that they do cost around £200 so if your a bit short on the cash go for something a little bit lower :)
Tue 02/12/03 at 08:44
Regular
I have a new P4 2.8 with 800 Mhz FSB PC with 512Mb DDR Ram (at the mo). It's one of those Shuttle PCs, SB61G I think. Can't use it till Xmas though.

Anyway, I'm going to be putting my Geforce4 Ti4600 (128Mb) card in it as you know the on-board graphics are going to be pretty standard. I have been satisfied with this card for some time now, and although I'm not getting benchmark results like the ones stated in the other thread, it does the job. It can run Max Payne 2 and XIII with everything cranked up - and this is only on a P4 1.7 with 512Mb NON-DDR Ram.

This new PC is going to be AGP 8X compatible and I was wondering whether to go for one of these Radeon 9800's etc. A lot of you seem to have them and no-one seems to have a bad thing to say about them.

The hardest paces the card will go through will be running graphics-heavy games, no video editing or anything else graphics-dependent.

Do you reckon it's worth it to upgrade from NVidia (who I thought led the market) to ATI (crap last time I checked - a long time ago)?

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.