GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dreamcast Hindsight"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/08/01 at 14:44
Regular
Looking back after the event, it's always easy to pinpoint what went wrong.

The doom merchants who predicted that the Sega Dreamcast would fail, and mockingly labelled it the Sega 'Won'tlast' and the Sega 'Diefast' were alas proven correct.

Anyway, the fact is, at this moment in time the Dreamcast is dying a dignified death - perhaps only in years come will people realise what a great console it was.

But with the wisdom of hindsight, here are (in my opinion) five ways Sega could have improved the Dreamcast's survival chances:

1. Sega should have delayed the launch of the Dreamcast until the Spring of 2000, so that they could have blasted onto the scene with gaming masterpieces such as Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi. The Dreamcast's launch titles were a little weak, and did nothing to persuade PlayStation owners to jump ship.

2. Instead of the stupid 'barber's hair-shaving' TV commercial, Sega should have knitted together an extravaganza of a TV ad showcasing the Dreamcast's graphical superiority over the PlayStation. I can't recall seeing one Dreamcast TV ad of this type. Sony know how to do it - just look at the now running Gran Turismo 3 ad.

3. On DreamArena there should have been large monthly cash prizes available in high score competitions - making good and worthwhile use of the Dreamcast's initially limited online capabilities. For example:
**Crazy Taxi Comp - most money earned on the Arcade City. (Post your best score onto an online ranking table).
1st Prize - £5,000.
10 Runners-up win a Dreamcast game of their choice.
Instead of sponsoring second-rate football teams, Sega should have used this money to promote these competitions in the media.

4. Sega should have sanctioned updates of old Sega classics, especially NiGHTS and Toejam & Earl. They should have also ported over more top quality PC games.

5. When Sony relaunched the PSone, Sega should have slashed the price of the Dreamcast there and then to £99.99. Failing to compete with the PSone relaunch was the final nail in the Dreamcast's coffin.

A great philosopher once said: 'Foresight is knowledge', and Sega's recent move into the all format console market surely signals an end to their distinct lack of past judgement.

I look forward to playing great Sega games on whatever console in the future.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 29/08/01 at 14:44
Regular
Looking back after the event, it's always easy to pinpoint what went wrong.

The doom merchants who predicted that the Sega Dreamcast would fail, and mockingly labelled it the Sega 'Won'tlast' and the Sega 'Diefast' were alas proven correct.

Anyway, the fact is, at this moment in time the Dreamcast is dying a dignified death - perhaps only in years come will people realise what a great console it was.

But with the wisdom of hindsight, here are (in my opinion) five ways Sega could have improved the Dreamcast's survival chances:

1. Sega should have delayed the launch of the Dreamcast until the Spring of 2000, so that they could have blasted onto the scene with gaming masterpieces such as Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi. The Dreamcast's launch titles were a little weak, and did nothing to persuade PlayStation owners to jump ship.

2. Instead of the stupid 'barber's hair-shaving' TV commercial, Sega should have knitted together an extravaganza of a TV ad showcasing the Dreamcast's graphical superiority over the PlayStation. I can't recall seeing one Dreamcast TV ad of this type. Sony know how to do it - just look at the now running Gran Turismo 3 ad.

3. On DreamArena there should have been large monthly cash prizes available in high score competitions - making good and worthwhile use of the Dreamcast's initially limited online capabilities. For example:
**Crazy Taxi Comp - most money earned on the Arcade City. (Post your best score onto an online ranking table).
1st Prize - £5,000.
10 Runners-up win a Dreamcast game of their choice.
Instead of sponsoring second-rate football teams, Sega should have used this money to promote these competitions in the media.

4. Sega should have sanctioned updates of old Sega classics, especially NiGHTS and Toejam & Earl. They should have also ported over more top quality PC games.

5. When Sony relaunched the PSone, Sega should have slashed the price of the Dreamcast there and then to £99.99. Failing to compete with the PSone relaunch was the final nail in the Dreamcast's coffin.

A great philosopher once said: 'Foresight is knowledge', and Sega's recent move into the all format console market surely signals an end to their distinct lack of past judgement.

I look forward to playing great Sega games on whatever console in the future.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.