GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A big Problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/08/01 at 11:43
Regular
I know this has been done loads of times and you are probably all fed up reading post after post but I had a thought earlier and I thought I would share it. Its all about Piracy.

Ok most if not all people on here are against piracy. Those who aren't are probably not bothered in the slightest about the effects on the industry or the money lost. Which brings me to my thought, Piracy is a large problem for the industry and there are people who sell hundreds if not thousands of copied games each day. These are a big problem for the industry but tackling the problem is very difficult.

Think of it from the people who sell them. They don't care if a game gets released or not or if it could cause a developer to have to shut down. They don't care how much money the industry looses as they make so much money from each game they sell that its a way of life for them. This is how they get by, support their family, in the same way that your parents work. I know their job is wrong but to some its the only way. There are alot of people who use crime to earn a living whether it be games pirating, drugs, stealing or many others. The problem can also lead to drug abuse as some use the profit they make to buy drugs which is going on to cause more trouble.

I know alot of people who copy a game here or there for their friend and this is equally as wrong but how can we catch these people and with the punishments we have will it stop them doing it again, I don't think so. I used to watch people doing it in school with amiga games and then PSX games, mostly children as the punishments for kids aren't as bad as for adults.
So how many of you out there actualy totally against it, and would like to try to do more to help stop it and are willing to help stop it? Someone who has never copied a CD onto tape or onto CD, who has never downloaded an MP3 for free, or copied a game for their own use or a friends. There won't be many.
The world is full of people like this and its unlikely that its going to change. Maybe we just have to accept that its a problem that will always be there as society isn't going to change.

So whats next? Can we stop this problem? Developers and console creators do their best to modify hardware and write programs to prevent this kind of thing happening but most of the time people find a way round this and if their method is cost effective ie they can make them for less and sell them for a profit, then they will use this idea. Maybe one day we will see technology that is fully pirate proof in which each copy in unique and can't be copied. Or maybe technology were if someone does try to copy it the disk destroys its data making the copy and the master useless.

Also a little more education is needed, but pointing out the true facts, why people do it? What its effects are in the long run. Also punishment for criminals should be made more serious, these people are like thiefs and should be punished for what they do.

Making piracy less cost effective for those who do it is the way to stop, people who do it aren't going to dip into their own pocket to allow others to buy cheap games from them.
Microsoft said they were going to use a special program that require a unique code to be entered when installing the software making it only useable on that one machine. I don't like that idea for games though as what happens if the console gets damaged and you need a new one or you want to take games round to your friends house?

For the buyers it also the same, there are some who think about how bad the problem is and would like to see it stopped. Then there are others who would rather buy games at £5 rather than pay £35 for a proper game. Maybe more needs to be done to make the proper copies more appealing to buyers? Nowadays more games are DVD based but soon DVD writers will be popular in home PC's so piracy may start to become a bigger problem for the newer consoles

I had a small idea on how to reduce piracy so I may as well tell you about it. What the console would need is a small keycard slot and with everygame you buy inside is a keycard (like a bank card) and a unique number, the number only works with that copy of the game. When you put the game and card in and enter the number you can then start playing, this would allow you to take it to friends houses and would help prevent piracy and keycards can be hard to copy. The only probelm could be cost as I don't know how much it would cost to make the cards but surely if this was to work the money saved would be able to pay for it.

Well Im sure I have bored you enough, those who read it to the end, thanks.
Wed 29/08/01 at 11:55
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thats a good post, I enjoyed reading it, a small problem with your big idea, by the way it's a good, if not practical idea.

There are lots of very clever people in this world and a keycard will not stop pirating, if games are pirated and consoles are chipped the keycards could easily be chipped or new keycards made. The bad point is that the games would cost a lot more because every game would need a new keycard, I would have though every console would have a keycard with your own I.D. number, to save a little money.
But games could be almost re-written to overcome this pirating stopper.

But it's a great idea, why not tell someone else about it before some thieving scumbag beats you to it. (I wouldn't think about doing it, of course, he he)
Wed 29/08/01 at 11:55
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thats a good post, I enjoyed reading it, a small problem with your big idea, by the way it's a good, if not practical idea.

There are lots of very clever people in this world and a keycard will not stop pirating, if games are pirated and consoles are chipped the keycards could easily be chipped or new keycards made. The bad point is that the games would cost a lot more because every game would need a new keycard, I would have though every console would have a keycard with your own I.D. number, to save a little money.
But games could be almost re-written to overcome this pirating stopper.

But it's a great idea, why not tell someone else about it before some thieving scumbag beats you to it. (I wouldn't think about doing it, of course, he he)
Wed 29/08/01 at 11:43
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I know this has been done loads of times and you are probably all fed up reading post after post but I had a thought earlier and I thought I would share it. Its all about Piracy.

Ok most if not all people on here are against piracy. Those who aren't are probably not bothered in the slightest about the effects on the industry or the money lost. Which brings me to my thought, Piracy is a large problem for the industry and there are people who sell hundreds if not thousands of copied games each day. These are a big problem for the industry but tackling the problem is very difficult.

Think of it from the people who sell them. They don't care if a game gets released or not or if it could cause a developer to have to shut down. They don't care how much money the industry looses as they make so much money from each game they sell that its a way of life for them. This is how they get by, support their family, in the same way that your parents work. I know their job is wrong but to some its the only way. There are alot of people who use crime to earn a living whether it be games pirating, drugs, stealing or many others. The problem can also lead to drug abuse as some use the profit they make to buy drugs which is going on to cause more trouble.

I know alot of people who copy a game here or there for their friend and this is equally as wrong but how can we catch these people and with the punishments we have will it stop them doing it again, I don't think so. I used to watch people doing it in school with amiga games and then PSX games, mostly children as the punishments for kids aren't as bad as for adults.
So how many of you out there actualy totally against it, and would like to try to do more to help stop it and are willing to help stop it? Someone who has never copied a CD onto tape or onto CD, who has never downloaded an MP3 for free, or copied a game for their own use or a friends. There won't be many.
The world is full of people like this and its unlikely that its going to change. Maybe we just have to accept that its a problem that will always be there as society isn't going to change.

So whats next? Can we stop this problem? Developers and console creators do their best to modify hardware and write programs to prevent this kind of thing happening but most of the time people find a way round this and if their method is cost effective ie they can make them for less and sell them for a profit, then they will use this idea. Maybe one day we will see technology that is fully pirate proof in which each copy in unique and can't be copied. Or maybe technology were if someone does try to copy it the disk destroys its data making the copy and the master useless.

Also a little more education is needed, but pointing out the true facts, why people do it? What its effects are in the long run. Also punishment for criminals should be made more serious, these people are like thiefs and should be punished for what they do.

Making piracy less cost effective for those who do it is the way to stop, people who do it aren't going to dip into their own pocket to allow others to buy cheap games from them.
Microsoft said they were going to use a special program that require a unique code to be entered when installing the software making it only useable on that one machine. I don't like that idea for games though as what happens if the console gets damaged and you need a new one or you want to take games round to your friends house?

For the buyers it also the same, there are some who think about how bad the problem is and would like to see it stopped. Then there are others who would rather buy games at £5 rather than pay £35 for a proper game. Maybe more needs to be done to make the proper copies more appealing to buyers? Nowadays more games are DVD based but soon DVD writers will be popular in home PC's so piracy may start to become a bigger problem for the newer consoles

I had a small idea on how to reduce piracy so I may as well tell you about it. What the console would need is a small keycard slot and with everygame you buy inside is a keycard (like a bank card) and a unique number, the number only works with that copy of the game. When you put the game and card in and enter the number you can then start playing, this would allow you to take it to friends houses and would help prevent piracy and keycards can be hard to copy. The only probelm could be cost as I don't know how much it would cost to make the cards but surely if this was to work the money saved would be able to pay for it.

Well Im sure I have bored you enough, those who read it to the end, thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.