GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Retro/Import handhelds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/12/03 at 21:20
"I love yo... lamp."
I'm after something portable and old. Something like a Neo Geo Pocket, WonderSwan, Game Gear or Lynx.

Does anyone have any of these and if so what games would they recommend?

P.S. Don't tell me to just get a GB, GBC, GBA or GBA SP.
Mon 08/12/03 at 21:20
"I love yo... lamp."
I'm after something portable and old. Something like a Neo Geo Pocket, WonderSwan, Game Gear or Lynx.

Does anyone have any of these and if so what games would they recommend?

P.S. Don't tell me to just get a GB, GBC, GBA or GBA SP.
Tue 09/12/03 at 01:33
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
If you can get a NeoGeo Pocket I'd wholeheartedly recommend. Getting late, so keeping it brief, but it had some truly outstanding games. Sonic and Match of the Millennium are still the best original portable platformer and fighter to date and are worth buying the console for alone. Both are huge games as well, loads of bonus options and challenge modes to keep you playing. The time trial option on Sonic alone took up hours or trying to perfect my routes and shave hundredths of a second. Turf Masters and Card Fighter are the only two other great titles that jump out at me at this time, I'll post more as they come to me!
Tue 09/12/03 at 01:39
"I love yo... lamp."
Thanks. I knew there was a Sonic game but that was about it. Just wanted a few ideas on what else to get, as most of the Japanese ones appear rather bizarre. Well I'll pick up Sonic and Match of The Millenium then. Thanks again.
Tue 09/12/03 at 03:18
Regular
heh - wonderswan. I really hope the guy that thought that name up got fired.

I always liked the game gear, although the batteries lasted about five minutes. mickey mouse was my favourite on that, although I don't know if it was a game gear game or not (I had a master system convertor for it y'see). also obviously sonic.
Tue 09/12/03 at 06:55
Regular
Sonic and MotM were the best games I had on my NGPC. I also had this tennis game (can't remember the name) and a footy game that both rocked on multiplayer!

Metal Slug was another good one.

Do you already have the console? If not, check out SR's bundle - although you could probably get more for your money on a second hand from eBay...
Wed 10/12/03 at 00:16
"I love yo... lamp."
What was Metal Slug?

Mickey... Castle Of Illusion(?) was also on the GG Borat. I have the Master System one tucked away somewhere.

I want a GG as well.
Wed 10/12/03 at 06:49
Regular
Metal Slug was, well, I can't really think of a game to compare it to...hang on, think the Robocop game (left to right, shooting all the bad guys down) but better. You had pretty OTT weapons at times and could rally around in little vehicles too. Got quite challenging toward the end.

Oh, the memories. Might have to buy another now! But then, a GP32 can emulate it so there's no need...

*thinks once more about buying a GP32*
Wed 10/12/03 at 06:50
Regular
Oh, and there was Metal Slug 2 too. Which was bigger and better!
Fri 12/12/03 at 16:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Metal Slug wasn't, Metal Slug IS. Number 3 was out for PS2 this year, there is a GBA version on the cards too. 4 is out in the arcades in Japan.

Be warned if you get a Neo geo pocket, you are entering into a world of fierce competition to collect games. Card Fighters 2 went on eBay for over $300 recently.
Sat 13/12/03 at 01:05
"I love yo... lamp."
Right well I had a look in a few shops in Glasgow that sell second hand consoles and stuff, one of which had a Neo Geo Pocket in recently.

Seeing as I couldn't find one I might just buy one online. Will try get Sonic and Metal Slug. If anyone else has any other games that they can recommend then I might pick them up.

Bullett, you mentioned something about the GP32 being able to emulate an NGP, how do you mean? Does the GP32 accept NGP carts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.