GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Dead People it's ok to like now"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/08/01 at 01:21
Regular
Seeing as everyone is now eulogising Aaliyah now that she has gone, here are some other wonderful, amazing and no longer with us people you should check out:

Bill Hicks
John Lee Hooker
Ian Dury & The Blockheads

I remember when John Lee Hooker died, and I was the only one to put anything here about him.
I got angry because nobody knew or cared about that guy dying.
I am sorry for Aaliyah's family, and once more I stress that I am not making light of this tragic loss of a 22yr old girl in any way whatsoever but:

John Lee Hooker achieved a damn sight more in his lifetime than Aaliyah ever did.
But not one single person said anything at all about him.

Why not?
Because he didn't have marketing behind him?
Because he played The Blues and had a career that spanned over 60 years?
Because he didn't have videos on The Box or made kung-fu movies?

John Lee Hooker was the premier Delta-Blues guy. He, along with Robert Johnson, Sunhouse and Blind Lemon Jefferson invented Delta Blues.
Just a guy with his guitar.
He created a whole new genre of music, and lived it.
He made a fortune, but gave it to his family and stayed in the same house in an LA Ghetto because "This is my home, I don't need no millions of dollars. I got my music, my family and my friends, man don't need but anything else"

But nobody said a damn word when he passed away.
Yet Aaliyah dies and everyone is falling over themselves to say what a loss and how tragic?
Yet it was, for her family and friends.

But why wait until now to say how good she was?
Same with Bill Hicks.
People say "I love him" now he's dead, yet when he lived, nobody really knew who he was.

It's wrong dammit, I am furious that the world is in mourning for this girl.
This is a private thing for her family and friends to deal with, for everyone to pretend that "I always liked her" rings false and is in the poorest taste.

Where were you people when John Lee Hooker died?
Where were you when Bill Hicks died?
Or Jerry Garcia?
Or Timothy Leary?
Tue 28/08/01 at 08:47
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Its not really right to raise any sort of arguement about how anyone feels about the dead. I did not know who Bill Hicks was so could not really emphasise with some people's feeling of loss at his leaving. John Lee Hooker I did know but many people did not.

Aaliyah was more known to some people on this forum and there was more posts of sadness but does this really matter. People live and people die and no-one person is more important than another just because more people remember them. To be mourned by one is just the same as being mourned by a million.
Tue 28/08/01 at 02:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And just so there is nobody at all left in any doubt, I'm not joking about or making light of this young lady's death at all.
Tue 28/08/01 at 01:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Seeing as everyone is now eulogising Aaliyah now that she has gone, here are some other wonderful, amazing and no longer with us people you should check out:

Bill Hicks
John Lee Hooker
Ian Dury & The Blockheads

I remember when John Lee Hooker died, and I was the only one to put anything here about him.
I got angry because nobody knew or cared about that guy dying.
I am sorry for Aaliyah's family, and once more I stress that I am not making light of this tragic loss of a 22yr old girl in any way whatsoever but:

John Lee Hooker achieved a damn sight more in his lifetime than Aaliyah ever did.
But not one single person said anything at all about him.

Why not?
Because he didn't have marketing behind him?
Because he played The Blues and had a career that spanned over 60 years?
Because he didn't have videos on The Box or made kung-fu movies?

John Lee Hooker was the premier Delta-Blues guy. He, along with Robert Johnson, Sunhouse and Blind Lemon Jefferson invented Delta Blues.
Just a guy with his guitar.
He created a whole new genre of music, and lived it.
He made a fortune, but gave it to his family and stayed in the same house in an LA Ghetto because "This is my home, I don't need no millions of dollars. I got my music, my family and my friends, man don't need but anything else"

But nobody said a damn word when he passed away.
Yet Aaliyah dies and everyone is falling over themselves to say what a loss and how tragic?
Yet it was, for her family and friends.

But why wait until now to say how good she was?
Same with Bill Hicks.
People say "I love him" now he's dead, yet when he lived, nobody really knew who he was.

It's wrong dammit, I am furious that the world is in mourning for this girl.
This is a private thing for her family and friends to deal with, for everyone to pretend that "I always liked her" rings false and is in the poorest taste.

Where were you people when John Lee Hooker died?
Where were you when Bill Hicks died?
Or Jerry Garcia?
Or Timothy Leary?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.