GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Dead People it's ok to like now"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/08/01 at 01:21
Regular
Seeing as everyone is now eulogising Aaliyah now that she has gone, here are some other wonderful, amazing and no longer with us people you should check out:

Bill Hicks
John Lee Hooker
Ian Dury & The Blockheads

I remember when John Lee Hooker died, and I was the only one to put anything here about him.
I got angry because nobody knew or cared about that guy dying.
I am sorry for Aaliyah's family, and once more I stress that I am not making light of this tragic loss of a 22yr old girl in any way whatsoever but:

John Lee Hooker achieved a damn sight more in his lifetime than Aaliyah ever did.
But not one single person said anything at all about him.

Why not?
Because he didn't have marketing behind him?
Because he played The Blues and had a career that spanned over 60 years?
Because he didn't have videos on The Box or made kung-fu movies?

John Lee Hooker was the premier Delta-Blues guy. He, along with Robert Johnson, Sunhouse and Blind Lemon Jefferson invented Delta Blues.
Just a guy with his guitar.
He created a whole new genre of music, and lived it.
He made a fortune, but gave it to his family and stayed in the same house in an LA Ghetto because "This is my home, I don't need no millions of dollars. I got my music, my family and my friends, man don't need but anything else"

But nobody said a damn word when he passed away.
Yet Aaliyah dies and everyone is falling over themselves to say what a loss and how tragic?
Yet it was, for her family and friends.

But why wait until now to say how good she was?
Same with Bill Hicks.
People say "I love him" now he's dead, yet when he lived, nobody really knew who he was.

It's wrong dammit, I am furious that the world is in mourning for this girl.
This is a private thing for her family and friends to deal with, for everyone to pretend that "I always liked her" rings false and is in the poorest taste.

Where were you people when John Lee Hooker died?
Where were you when Bill Hicks died?
Or Jerry Garcia?
Or Timothy Leary?
Tue 28/08/01 at 01:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Seeing as everyone is now eulogising Aaliyah now that she has gone, here are some other wonderful, amazing and no longer with us people you should check out:

Bill Hicks
John Lee Hooker
Ian Dury & The Blockheads

I remember when John Lee Hooker died, and I was the only one to put anything here about him.
I got angry because nobody knew or cared about that guy dying.
I am sorry for Aaliyah's family, and once more I stress that I am not making light of this tragic loss of a 22yr old girl in any way whatsoever but:

John Lee Hooker achieved a damn sight more in his lifetime than Aaliyah ever did.
But not one single person said anything at all about him.

Why not?
Because he didn't have marketing behind him?
Because he played The Blues and had a career that spanned over 60 years?
Because he didn't have videos on The Box or made kung-fu movies?

John Lee Hooker was the premier Delta-Blues guy. He, along with Robert Johnson, Sunhouse and Blind Lemon Jefferson invented Delta Blues.
Just a guy with his guitar.
He created a whole new genre of music, and lived it.
He made a fortune, but gave it to his family and stayed in the same house in an LA Ghetto because "This is my home, I don't need no millions of dollars. I got my music, my family and my friends, man don't need but anything else"

But nobody said a damn word when he passed away.
Yet Aaliyah dies and everyone is falling over themselves to say what a loss and how tragic?
Yet it was, for her family and friends.

But why wait until now to say how good she was?
Same with Bill Hicks.
People say "I love him" now he's dead, yet when he lived, nobody really knew who he was.

It's wrong dammit, I am furious that the world is in mourning for this girl.
This is a private thing for her family and friends to deal with, for everyone to pretend that "I always liked her" rings false and is in the poorest taste.

Where were you people when John Lee Hooker died?
Where were you when Bill Hicks died?
Or Jerry Garcia?
Or Timothy Leary?
Tue 28/08/01 at 02:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And just so there is nobody at all left in any doubt, I'm not joking about or making light of this young lady's death at all.
Tue 28/08/01 at 08:47
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Its not really right to raise any sort of arguement about how anyone feels about the dead. I did not know who Bill Hicks was so could not really emphasise with some people's feeling of loss at his leaving. John Lee Hooker I did know but many people did not.

Aaliyah was more known to some people on this forum and there was more posts of sadness but does this really matter. People live and people die and no-one person is more important than another just because more people remember them. To be mourned by one is just the same as being mourned by a million.
Tue 28/08/01 at 09:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
jd99 wrote:
Aaliyah was more known to some people on this forum and
> there was more posts of sadness but does this really matter.

No, I get that, I really do.
My comments weren't really aimed to this board. I do wonder why nobody was talking about her talent etc when she was alive, seems odd that it takes her being killed before people start to talk about how good she was.

I'm more talking about the obituaries and fawning tributes from those in the media that didn't spare her two thoughts when she was doing her thing.

Just doesn't seem right is all.
Tue 28/08/01 at 12:50
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I do wonder why nobody was talking about
> her talent etc when she was alive, seems odd that it takes her being
> killed before people start to talk about how good she was.

Come on, that's not really true. In R&B circles she was extremely well respected and thought to be the future of female soul music. If you think about what she achieved in her short life, it's more than most of us will ever do in our lives. She didn't drink, smoke or take drugs (in the music industry, of all places) and she was a great artist. She also received a Grammy nomination this year for Try Again, one of the only R&B songs of all time I actually like.

People were talking about her, just not perhaps in the conversations you were listening to.
Tue 28/08/01 at 12:51
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
However, I agree she was rubbish in Romeo Must Die, but it wasn't her fault as the film was terrible.
Tue 28/08/01 at 12:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
People
> were talking about her, just not perhaps in the conversations you
> were listening to.

Fair point, and just to state I'm not knocking her achievements at all.
This isn't even to the people here, I've been looking at CNN and ABC and the other US news sites, and everyone is racing to give the most touching and sincere statement they can.

I just wonder how many of them were so nice and supportive etc when she was just another rising star?

Please don't think I'm saying she was crap or anything like that.
I didn't like her music because R&B leaves me cold.
Didn't watch Romeo Must Die because that isn't my sort of movie.

Can't say I'm overly bothered by this whole situation, but neither do I feel the need to criticise her either.
I'm indifferent.
Tue 28/08/01 at 14:40
Sorry I didn't write anything when John Lee Hooker died. I remember reading it in the newspaper, and my step-father and I sat down and listened to his records.

Sheer Genious.

It was also lovely to see many TV programs about him afterwards because his music was and is simply wonderful.

I agree, his contribution to music was considerably more significant than Aaliagh (sorry don't know how to spell her name!).
Tue 28/08/01 at 14:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I agree, although it does need to be said that she was only 22 so who knew where she would go.

I want to steer this clear of discussing whether she made a valid contribution to anything (not that you are mate), my only point was, not just in this forum, but in all the media, everyone is now saying how amazing and talented she was, when before her death, seemed that only the R&B circle gave her any credit.

I can only say, I didn't really know her stuff or like what I did hear and her death doesn't mean anything to me.
I'm not saying it's not tragic and a waste of a young girl's life, just that personally, I can't start to praise and mourn her because I didn't care when she was doing it before this crash.

Shame she died so early, never knew what she might have achieved.
Tue 28/08/01 at 14:51
Goatboy wrote:
Shame she died so early, never knew what she might have
> achieved.

Agreed. I have always wondered what Jeff Buckley could have progressed onto.

Also I would have loved to see Freddie Mercury complete his music career fully, I had always loved Queen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.