GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Cancer Drug"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/08/01 at 13:25
Regular
Smoking. Why do we smoke? I don’t smoke, but that doesn’t make me any better than someone who does choose to smoke, although I would assume that all being well, I’d live longer, lead a healthier life than someone who does smoke. There are those who smoke, those who don’t and those who only smoke at social events and in public houses, often to try and fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Why do people still choose to ignore the warnings and continue with this ‘filthy’ habit? There are groups of people that want you to smoke, and groups that don’t. In my life I’ve often walked past a group of youngsters, no more than around 13 years of age – smoking and pressuring one of the group members that haven’t yet succumbed to the cancer drug, and making him smoke, something that could ruin his/her life. Why do they do this? Is it so they don’t feel uncomfortable with a ‘non smoker’ hanging around with them, supposedly thinking he’s better than them?

Smoking is no longer cool. When cigarettes first really came into their own, the effects of smoking were not yet fully known, or at least couldn’t be proven by those with sceptical eyes, and many people smoked, it was a fashion accessory, something to do, something to waste your money upon, and ignorance was shared between the world, but not so now. People know the dangers, but they will continue smoking, they won’t listen to anyone else’s viewpoint – it’s they’re decision, or is it?

Nicotine is the drug found in tobacco, which makes smokers become addicted to smoking, it’s one of the most addictive drugs freely available and it won’t let you quit without a fight – giving up smoking is one of the hardest things to give up in life, I have to give respect to those who at least attempt to give up, and more so to those who do and succeed, going on to live a healthier, richer and more prosperous life. You may not want to give up, could that just be the nicotine talking?

I have friends that smoke, and they’re many smokers who are decent people, and in a way that makes it harder for me and others who don’t smoke – they’re intelligent, but it’s just hard to watch them wasting their money and more importantly, their lives, away. You see some right scruffy looking characters, notably tramps, who smoke, drink and I have no sympathy for them – they beg all day, probably get around £30 a day from the charity or stupidity of passers by, (sorry, ‘ignorance’ would be a more polite word), and then what do these beggars do? Spend on cigs and alcohol. They’re the lowest end of society in this country, they’re effectively death walking. It’s a shame to see a human being, someone of the same species as myself, come to this. I suppose it’s our fault as much as theirs.

The government don’t want you to quit. Cigarette taxation brings in so much money for the government – only a small percentage of this money is spent on treatment for illness and disease brought from smoking, so smokers are keeping the government happy, but there must be another way. In some countries though, I cannot remember which, but there was a news article about it recently, there government was actively encouraging people to smoke, as it brought in so much money for them through the tax on a ‘packet of fags’. Immoral, but effective – what is the world coming too.

So you smoke, you’ve read my thoughts and you think I’m a stuck up non-smoker who can’t stand the sight of you. You’re wrong, you may have a strong mind, but just not at the time you started smoking – is there really anyone who wants to have a premature death and serious health problems in life? Some people enjoy smoking. This I find hard to accept, and I don’t like the way these people broadcast their enjoyment of the addiction, it could influence others, but if someone does not want to give up, what can you do? Nobody has the right to dictate what another person does in life & smoking is legal, for those 16 and over 16, I will never smoke, I know the risk.

I hear of an old lady, around 80 years + I would say, she’s got 3 days to live – she’s suffering so much, I can even hear her coughing next door, she smoked, this is not the way to die. The thing that troubles me is that her granddaughter and grandson in law whom she lives with can see the pain she’s going through, and yet they do not even think about giving up smoking – they have a young daughter, she’s having to inhale everything, they’ll no doubt suffer from something, but it’s just not my place to say give up smoking. I could try, asking ‘why do you smoke?’ and see what happens, but I just don’t think it’d have any effect.

Whether you smoke or you don’t, you have a choice. Everyone has a mind, some people are mentally stronger than others, some people will not be affected by someone else’s pressurising, some will. Smoking is foul disgusting and has an awful aroma, it’s a filthy habit that I would not tolerate in my home, but the people that smoke - most people that smoke are good honest people. I have friends that smoke. I have friends that don’t. We’re not all perfect - in fact if there were a perfect person, we’d know about it. You pay your money & you buy a packet of cigarettes – just as you usually do, but just think every time you spend out on something that will kill you. Think.

Thanks.

I hope I have not offended anyone.

ICEFIRE.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
loki wrote:
> If they are in a depressing situation and need a hand, why not.
> They want to spend what they get on fags? Fine. Have a Marlboro
> Light on me. What else have they got to get them through the
> day?

I agree though, giving money to shelters or organisations
> designed to help the homeless is probably a better, more socially
> responsible idea but trying to directly help another person is very
> rarely a stupid idea.

100% agreement.
A total and utter statement of absolute agreement from me with this one.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's helping them.

I'm going to try and stay neutral and not start yelling.

Being homeless can happen through any number of reasons, and it's not as simple as "saving up and getting somewhere".
Most shelters refuse to take you in unless you can prove you are homeless and have been for a minimum of 3 weeks in most cases.

Without a job, you can't get money.
Without an address you can't get a job.
You can't get benefits without an address, but you can't get an address without benefits.

Viscious circle, endlessly repeating.
Some are "lucky" and end up in regular housing, and some can sell The Big Issue (you should always, always make a point of buying that because those are people spefically "making an effort").

There are some con-artists out there, but they are far outweighed by people that, through a number of circumstances, find themselves homeless.
Not all are drug-addict drunks.

Some are thrown from psychiatric hospitals after a set-period of time, with no address or relatives/guardians to look out for them.
How many times do we hear about Care in The Community patients killing?
Why?
Because they are "treated" and released, with nowhere to go, nobody taking an interest and so on and so forth.

And, not directed at anyone here, the thing that makes me furious are the people that walk by like they don't exist because they're homeless.
People that ignore these guys and blank them, just don't see them.
Can't even say "Sorry mate, no change", just tune out and walk by on their way to somewhere else.

That makes me sick and if you do that, you should be ashamed of yourself.
They may not have a roof or a job, but ignoring them completely is a contemptous and loathesome attitude.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:38
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
If they are in a depressing situation and need a hand, why not. They want to spend what they get on fags? Fine. Have a Marlboro Light on me. What else have they got to get them through the day?

I agree though, giving money to shelters or organisations designed to help the homeless is probably a better, more socially responsible idea but trying to directly help another person is very rarely a stupid idea.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:31
If someone is begging on the streets, they're in the situation where they could be getting money for nothing, if they wanted to survive they would save it up and get themselves cleaned up, but they don't, they spend on fags and booze, IS this helping them? No.

Why are we always told never to give money to tramps and beggars? Because it's not helping anyone.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:26
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I actually do understand, you called people stupid or ignorant for giving them money and also said you had no sympathy for these 'scruffy' people who have the cheek to beg to survive. If you don't want to take offence at my post great, but please realize that what you said was offensive.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Not to comment on any specific points raised here, just in general, whenever someone says to me

"Don't give them money, they'll use it for fags and booze"

My response is always "Yeah, so do I"
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:08
What
> would you rather we do? Why not kill them all, sweep them off the
> streets so their misery doesn't blight your perfect life? And then,
> to insult people who are generous enough to spend their own hard
> earned money to help out another human being... Amazing.

You fail to understand. If someone gives their money to them, it's their choice - but to what effect? It buys the tramps drink and fags. NOT helping them at all.

Give your money to organisations that try to help these people, not to them. I won't take insult from your superfluous response as you clearly do not understand.
Tue 28/08/01 at 11:03
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
ICEFIRE wrote:

I have friends that smoke, and
> they’re many smokers who are decent people, and in a way that makes
> it harder for me and others who don’t smoke – they’re intelligent,
> but it’s just hard to watch them wasting their money and more
> importantly, their lives, away. You see some right scruffy looking
> characters, notably tramps, who smoke, drink and I have no sympathy
> for them – they beg all day, probably get around £30 a day
> from the charity or stupidity of passers by, (sorry, ‘ignorance’
> would be a more polite word), and then what do these beggars do?
> Spend on cigs and alcohol. They’re the lowest end of society in this
> country, they’re effectively death walking. It’s a shame to see a
> human being, someone of the same species as myself, come to this. I
> suppose it’s our fault as much as theirs.

Hope you haven't offended anyone? I'm sure there must be some neo-nazi extremists who wouldn't have been offended but otherwise...

So if someone has lost their job, house family and is reduced to living on the streets they get no sympathy from you. All they do is beg. You'd rather they starved? If my life was nothing but trying to survive in the wet and freezing cold everyday, I would drink or smoke, or do whatever I could, to make life more bearable.

What would you rather we do? Why not kill them all, sweep them off the streets so their misery doesn't blight your perfect life? And then, to insult people who are generous enough to spend their own hard earned money to help out another human being... Amazing.
Tue 28/08/01 at 03:32
Regular
"I am your father"
Goatboy? Do you have anything constructive to say? Didn't think so.
Tue 28/08/01 at 00:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
ICEFIRE wrote:
> Smoking. Why do we smoke?

Blah blah blah blah

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.