GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Games Relate To People?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/08/01 at 20:01
Regular
Not many topic’s that pop up about gaming have anything really to do with the outside world. The gaming world is a world of its own and that’s why most of us escape to that different world. But to get the truth about gaming we may have to delve more into the real world away from your Nintendo’s, Sony’s and Sega’s and into our own species, humans.

I can see you all now thinking: “Hmmmm what is this guy on? He make’s a return to the forums and goes on about utter rubbish” Well, listen on my friends and realise a true fact of gaming which is also a true fact of life.

It’s one of the most talked about topic’s of the gaming world and for now we have only used examples within the world of gaming, comparing games. But now, we can compare in a different way and discover a better point to prove to gamers that go for this topic:

‘Graphic’s over Gameplay’

Ah yes, that topic you always see written somewhere by a newbie for his first post into the forums (Well one of them anyway). Graphic’s over gameplay, it’s a classic isn’t it.

Most of us think that only casual gamers go for graphic’s over gameplay but that is not always the case, some of us more ‘hardcore’ gamers may also go for the visuals in a game.

Having owned a Nintendo 64 since its released I have grown up with it faced with many arguments about how ‘Nintendo’s games are for small kids’. This topic here is mostly based on the games graphics, some saying they are too ‘cartoon’ like. But if you actually delve into the game (like many of us wise gamers have done so) you would realise what a great game has been created. This doe’s not only go for Nintendo’s games, on other consoles too. Many casual gamers would buy a game only for its realistic graphics and detail within the game.

Two good games to compare this to is two football sports games – International Superstar Soccer and Fifa.

We all know that the most popular out of these two games is Fifa, but why? Maybe its Fifa has better graphics and maybe because it has real players name’s. A good fact to consider here is that Fifa always manages to make it to the top of the charts, when ISS doe’s not though many say ISS gameplay is extremely better. This is just to sum up the situation the gaming world has been and is in.

Now, gameplay and graphics only mean one thing to us, the visuals of the game and the way the game plays. But can we discover more about the two words if we bring it into the real world and onto something other then a game?

In this case, lets change the game for a person.

Now, say you see a member of the opposite sex you are attracted to. What attracts you to them? Is it their looks (graphics)? Or is it what they have inside, their personality (gameplay)?

For this question most of us would say that look’s draw you in first, much like games do. Could you play a game with bad graphics but good gameplay? Much like saying – Can you be attracted to someone with bad looks but a good personality?

Maybe games just go to show you what you are like in the real world, games can relate to people. If you discover what is in a person you may just like them much more no matter how bad they look, just like a game.

Thank you & goodnight/morning/afternoon and happy games playing to you all :-D
Monkey_With_Attitude
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:09
FIFA 64, have you ever played that? It's falful. Also ISS has always been better. I loved ISS delxue (on SNES) and i hated the FIFA's
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:07
Great topics and there is so much you can back it up with. The GAMEBOY, Body harvest.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:05
Regular
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:

Two good games to
> compare this to is two football sports games – International
> Superstar Soccer and Fifa.

We all know that the most popular out
> of these two games is Fifa, but why? Maybe its Fifa has better
> graphics and maybe because it has real players name’s.

If you are talking about the N64 versions then ISS actually has better graphics and and gameplay compared to Fifa.

And the new versions of ISS have actually got the real players name.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:01
"Uzi Lover"
Not many topic’s that pop up about gaming have anything really to do with the outside world. The gaming world is a world of its own and that’s why most of us escape to that different world. But to get the truth about gaming we may have to delve more into the real world away from your Nintendo’s, Sony’s and Sega’s and into our own species, humans.

I can see you all now thinking: “Hmmmm what is this guy on? He make’s a return to the forums and goes on about utter rubbish” Well, listen on my friends and realise a true fact of gaming which is also a true fact of life.

It’s one of the most talked about topic’s of the gaming world and for now we have only used examples within the world of gaming, comparing games. But now, we can compare in a different way and discover a better point to prove to gamers that go for this topic:

‘Graphic’s over Gameplay’

Ah yes, that topic you always see written somewhere by a newbie for his first post into the forums (Well one of them anyway). Graphic’s over gameplay, it’s a classic isn’t it.

Most of us think that only casual gamers go for graphic’s over gameplay but that is not always the case, some of us more ‘hardcore’ gamers may also go for the visuals in a game.

Having owned a Nintendo 64 since its released I have grown up with it faced with many arguments about how ‘Nintendo’s games are for small kids’. This topic here is mostly based on the games graphics, some saying they are too ‘cartoon’ like. But if you actually delve into the game (like many of us wise gamers have done so) you would realise what a great game has been created. This doe’s not only go for Nintendo’s games, on other consoles too. Many casual gamers would buy a game only for its realistic graphics and detail within the game.

Two good games to compare this to is two football sports games – International Superstar Soccer and Fifa.

We all know that the most popular out of these two games is Fifa, but why? Maybe its Fifa has better graphics and maybe because it has real players name’s. A good fact to consider here is that Fifa always manages to make it to the top of the charts, when ISS doe’s not though many say ISS gameplay is extremely better. This is just to sum up the situation the gaming world has been and is in.

Now, gameplay and graphics only mean one thing to us, the visuals of the game and the way the game plays. But can we discover more about the two words if we bring it into the real world and onto something other then a game?

In this case, lets change the game for a person.

Now, say you see a member of the opposite sex you are attracted to. What attracts you to them? Is it their looks (graphics)? Or is it what they have inside, their personality (gameplay)?

For this question most of us would say that look’s draw you in first, much like games do. Could you play a game with bad graphics but good gameplay? Much like saying – Can you be attracted to someone with bad looks but a good personality?

Maybe games just go to show you what you are like in the real world, games can relate to people. If you discover what is in a person you may just like them much more no matter how bad they look, just like a game.

Thank you & goodnight/morning/afternoon and happy games playing to you all :-D
Monkey_With_Attitude

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.