GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Games Relate To People?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/08/01 at 20:01
Regular
Not many topic’s that pop up about gaming have anything really to do with the outside world. The gaming world is a world of its own and that’s why most of us escape to that different world. But to get the truth about gaming we may have to delve more into the real world away from your Nintendo’s, Sony’s and Sega’s and into our own species, humans.

I can see you all now thinking: “Hmmmm what is this guy on? He make’s a return to the forums and goes on about utter rubbish” Well, listen on my friends and realise a true fact of gaming which is also a true fact of life.

It’s one of the most talked about topic’s of the gaming world and for now we have only used examples within the world of gaming, comparing games. But now, we can compare in a different way and discover a better point to prove to gamers that go for this topic:

‘Graphic’s over Gameplay’

Ah yes, that topic you always see written somewhere by a newbie for his first post into the forums (Well one of them anyway). Graphic’s over gameplay, it’s a classic isn’t it.

Most of us think that only casual gamers go for graphic’s over gameplay but that is not always the case, some of us more ‘hardcore’ gamers may also go for the visuals in a game.

Having owned a Nintendo 64 since its released I have grown up with it faced with many arguments about how ‘Nintendo’s games are for small kids’. This topic here is mostly based on the games graphics, some saying they are too ‘cartoon’ like. But if you actually delve into the game (like many of us wise gamers have done so) you would realise what a great game has been created. This doe’s not only go for Nintendo’s games, on other consoles too. Many casual gamers would buy a game only for its realistic graphics and detail within the game.

Two good games to compare this to is two football sports games – International Superstar Soccer and Fifa.

We all know that the most popular out of these two games is Fifa, but why? Maybe its Fifa has better graphics and maybe because it has real players name’s. A good fact to consider here is that Fifa always manages to make it to the top of the charts, when ISS doe’s not though many say ISS gameplay is extremely better. This is just to sum up the situation the gaming world has been and is in.

Now, gameplay and graphics only mean one thing to us, the visuals of the game and the way the game plays. But can we discover more about the two words if we bring it into the real world and onto something other then a game?

In this case, lets change the game for a person.

Now, say you see a member of the opposite sex you are attracted to. What attracts you to them? Is it their looks (graphics)? Or is it what they have inside, their personality (gameplay)?

For this question most of us would say that look’s draw you in first, much like games do. Could you play a game with bad graphics but good gameplay? Much like saying – Can you be attracted to someone with bad looks but a good personality?

Maybe games just go to show you what you are like in the real world, games can relate to people. If you discover what is in a person you may just like them much more no matter how bad they look, just like a game.

Thank you & goodnight/morning/afternoon and happy games playing to you all :-D
Monkey_With_Attitude
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:01
"Uzi Lover"
Not many topic’s that pop up about gaming have anything really to do with the outside world. The gaming world is a world of its own and that’s why most of us escape to that different world. But to get the truth about gaming we may have to delve more into the real world away from your Nintendo’s, Sony’s and Sega’s and into our own species, humans.

I can see you all now thinking: “Hmmmm what is this guy on? He make’s a return to the forums and goes on about utter rubbish” Well, listen on my friends and realise a true fact of gaming which is also a true fact of life.

It’s one of the most talked about topic’s of the gaming world and for now we have only used examples within the world of gaming, comparing games. But now, we can compare in a different way and discover a better point to prove to gamers that go for this topic:

‘Graphic’s over Gameplay’

Ah yes, that topic you always see written somewhere by a newbie for his first post into the forums (Well one of them anyway). Graphic’s over gameplay, it’s a classic isn’t it.

Most of us think that only casual gamers go for graphic’s over gameplay but that is not always the case, some of us more ‘hardcore’ gamers may also go for the visuals in a game.

Having owned a Nintendo 64 since its released I have grown up with it faced with many arguments about how ‘Nintendo’s games are for small kids’. This topic here is mostly based on the games graphics, some saying they are too ‘cartoon’ like. But if you actually delve into the game (like many of us wise gamers have done so) you would realise what a great game has been created. This doe’s not only go for Nintendo’s games, on other consoles too. Many casual gamers would buy a game only for its realistic graphics and detail within the game.

Two good games to compare this to is two football sports games – International Superstar Soccer and Fifa.

We all know that the most popular out of these two games is Fifa, but why? Maybe its Fifa has better graphics and maybe because it has real players name’s. A good fact to consider here is that Fifa always manages to make it to the top of the charts, when ISS doe’s not though many say ISS gameplay is extremely better. This is just to sum up the situation the gaming world has been and is in.

Now, gameplay and graphics only mean one thing to us, the visuals of the game and the way the game plays. But can we discover more about the two words if we bring it into the real world and onto something other then a game?

In this case, lets change the game for a person.

Now, say you see a member of the opposite sex you are attracted to. What attracts you to them? Is it their looks (graphics)? Or is it what they have inside, their personality (gameplay)?

For this question most of us would say that look’s draw you in first, much like games do. Could you play a game with bad graphics but good gameplay? Much like saying – Can you be attracted to someone with bad looks but a good personality?

Maybe games just go to show you what you are like in the real world, games can relate to people. If you discover what is in a person you may just like them much more no matter how bad they look, just like a game.

Thank you & goodnight/morning/afternoon and happy games playing to you all :-D
Monkey_With_Attitude
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:05
Regular
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:

Two good games to
> compare this to is two football sports games – International
> Superstar Soccer and Fifa.

We all know that the most popular out
> of these two games is Fifa, but why? Maybe its Fifa has better
> graphics and maybe because it has real players name’s.

If you are talking about the N64 versions then ISS actually has better graphics and and gameplay compared to Fifa.

And the new versions of ISS have actually got the real players name.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:07
Great topics and there is so much you can back it up with. The GAMEBOY, Body harvest.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:09
FIFA 64, have you ever played that? It's falful. Also ISS has always been better. I loved ISS delxue (on SNES) and i hated the FIFA's
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:20
Regular
"You've upset me"
*Bringing post to attention of Moderators*

Great stuff Ryan.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:29
"Uzi Lover"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> *Bringing post to attention of Moderators*

> Post>

Great stuff Ryan.

Cheers RBS and cheers for using my name (I think)

So do any of you think that games can be like people? What do you go for, looks or personality? and in your games do you go for graphics or gameplay first?

Can you play a game with good gameplay but rubbish graphics?
That's one good thing retro players have!
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> RastaBillySkank wrote:
> *Bringing post to attention of
> Moderators*

> Post>

Great stuff
> Ryan.

Cheers RBS and cheers for using my name (I think)

Lol

So
> do any of you think that games can be like people? What do you go
> for, looks or personality?

Bitta both, more personality though.

and in your games do you go for graphics
> or gameplay first?

Gameplay.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:48
Gameplay. Graphics aren't worth a meantion when it comes to "Is a game good" (i mean this in a way that graphics are simply eye candy, and nothing else). But they do give us this that and the other, just its was inside the game that counts more than anything.
Sun 26/08/01 at 20:57
Regular
"Back For Good"
oh i would say this is a reasonable topic but I've heard it too many times to give credit for, People can't get into their heads that a game is made up of many things, I can't conclude that gameplay is the only thing that matters because graphics and sound are vital elements.
Gameplay is the heart of the game but if needed good visuals and sound are required, Would GT3 work if it's graphics were of snes quality and engine sounds were made up of midi samples Nope.

Alot of people judge a game by it's visuals and this can sometimes reflect the console's performance but it all depends on the game if these parts are needed, for example mario kart has a very cartoony look to it and is supposed to give that effect, GT3 gives a realistic look to it.

Graphics can set the atmosphere and are essential to the gameplay.
Sun 26/08/01 at 21:01
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Good post MWA. I like it, and totally agree with your opinions about Nintendo.

Take Mario for example. Cutesy, colourful, and child-like graphics - with a storyline to match it. But does that really matter? Of course it doesn't. If you enjoy the game and the way it plays and you find that it appeals to you - then it can't be a bad game and it certainly doesn't mean that only 'kids' can play it. I play it and i'm 15. Meka surely has played it and he's 20 odd. Mario for me not only has good graphics, but also good, immersive, addictive gameplay - and that's the sort of game I like.

What else is there? Oh yes, Mario Kart. Like Mario 64, 'cartoony' graphics are best fit to describe it's looks. But yet again the game is highly misunderstood. Once you play it and indulge yourself in it you'll quickly find that your addicted, and that you will not stop playing it until there's nothing to play for. Mario Kart is possibly one of the best driving games ever. Not only for its notorious multiplayer heaven, but for its ingeniously designed gameplay that should appeal to all.

Smash Brothers and Zelda are also other examples. If you were to pick up the box in a shop and look at the back, I suppose you'd see them as being slightly 'cartoony', wouldn't you? Well, for me, they both look like that. But again, would you go for some other RPG or fighting game because it looks better? I'd still pick Smash Bros and Zelda over any Dreamcast ot PS2 title. Why? Because I go for gameplay more than graphics.

Zelda is, in my opinion, the best RPG in the world. That'e because it's unbeaten in gameplay and it satisfyingly has amazing graphics. Smash Bros. is most likely to still be my favourite beat-em-up and multiplayer fighting game. So, yes these are really my opinions of these games because Nintendo have focused on fun, addictive gameplay brilliantly which just happens to appeal to me greatly.

In response to MWA's bit about the Fifa and ISS battle, I'd like to add my bit. ISS will always be my favourite because all of those games play like a dream (especially ISS Evolution 2) - where as Fifa games are completely rubbish to play and I find them irritable. But as you said MWA, the only reason they do better is because EA has the money to put players' names in and attract a bigger audience. It's a shame they don't have the money to create a good game, eh?

This post is focused purely over the topic "Graphics over gameplay" because I hate it when friends of mine buy hyped-up, good-looking games that play badly over quiet, below-average looking games that play extremely well. Ahh, I have the urge to start on console wars now - damn you MWA!

Right, here we go, bare with me :-)

*All comments made below are strictly based upon my opinion* ;-)

X-Box. Tremendously hyped-up big black box that is a shade too close to becoming another darn PC. It has over-rated technology and specifications. (But I won't go into that - too complicated). It hasn't even got designers that are willing to put an effort into designing new controllers - let alone console design. (Big black box with a green phlegm ball in the middle...which doesn't even light-up when the machine is turned on) The games are utterly unoriginal: WWF Mayhem is it? Is supposed to be a release title - whoopie-dee-doo-dar-day, like we haven't seen that before. *Hugely exaggerated sarcastic tone* All I'm really saying is that people will probably end up buying this rubbish because they are gullable enough to believe the hype surrounding it.

Then there's the GameCube. Not having as much money as Microsoft, Nintendo haven't as much freedom to advertise it. But I dearly hope that with all the advertising Nintendo do do , they attract and tempt many people to buying their console because I think the GameCube will be worth the money and provide better entertainment than the X-box. You can't go wrong if Shigeru Myamoto is behind most games like Zelda and Mario, can you?

Well thank you MWA for inspiring me there.

Shocktrooper - relieved to get that lot off his chest:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.