GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pull apart controller"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/12/03 at 15:21
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Fed up with having both hands close together ?

Not going to explain it, just click and looks at thumbnail pics.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-70-2uo.html
Sun 21/12/03 at 12:57
Regular
"The Red Shift"
LOL!
Sat 20/12/03 at 22:44
Regular
So it'll retain the dual shock functions then... :D
Sat 20/12/03 at 14:26
Regular
"The Red Shift"
do that and call it THE ORGASMONATOR

:)
Sat 20/12/03 at 08:52
Regular
You could offer to discuss the idea with Logic 3, but it would be best to have some more concrete ideas first, all protected and documented. At the moment, as you say, its hard to sell an idea, but you might be able to sell plans. I guess the problem is just knowing how the pivot mechanism would work.

Another problem though is that it may be difficult to pursuade companies to make a controller like that when it just seems like a half-hearted attempt at realistic steering. If you're going to buy a special controller designed for racing games, then you might as well just go all the way and buy the steering wheel with pedals.

Perhaps if it had an inbuilt DVD player or something... :)
Fri 19/12/03 at 16:40
Regular
"The Red Shift"
-life is quite bizarre in its little coincidences:)

but with the steering, you could ajust sensitivity or something. again improving control, steer-ability and accuracy. if you implement all this then the controller might get a bit too game specific, thus downsizing the market. it would also be more expensive.

problem is it would cost a bundle to proto type and i have no idea how anyone apart from controller makers could make it. after all, you cant usually sell an idea.

i know that it would have atleast 2 buyers in me and jive though:)
Fri 19/12/03 at 16:22
Regular
Yeah I've got one of them. I made it my self when I forgot to save kingdom hearts after hours of play.

Oh yeah and it doesn't work!
Fri 19/12/03 at 15:31
Regular
Sounds a little sturdier now. Your idea of fixing one side could really help as well, resting it on something strong. If the right hand side buttons were on a proper platform, like a joystick base, the rest could pivot from there.

As for feedback, it made me laugh that because I'm currently revising away for a Linear Control Theory exam, and was just starting the chapter on state feedback controlled systems. Life's all about coincidences! Going back to the joypad though, I'm not sure how it could be implemented. The left side itself could electronically measure the angle with the plane and could form a control function from there, but I don't know what it would do with that knowledge. Perhaps your idea could help there!
Fri 19/12/03 at 13:15
Regular
"The Red Shift"
damn, the space didnt appear in my little diagram. but i think you get the idea.
Fri 19/12/03 at 13:14
Regular
"The Red Shift"
ssxpro wrote:
> Rotating on a hinge so as to almost
> break the contoller in half and pivot would mean significant
> weaknesses, and make it pretty difficult to control the rotation.

i too saw that this could create trouble. but if you used my hinge idea and did it like ply wood, it would still retain a core strength.

eg

--------
--------
--------
--------

Making the two parts of the controller converge to one point would also create a strong shape. (2 pyramid like shapes) to combat the loose-ness of the turning, you could have a resistance mechanism (i think its callede feed back).

it would undoubtably be easiest to use with your right hand resting on something, to add to your control.
Fri 19/12/03 at 09:22
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
What's the point in that?

No thank you!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.