GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stealing a March"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/12/03 at 17:07
Regular
Last time it was Zelda and Metroid.

This year the cube will see Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.
The GBA gets Sword of Mana and Sabre Wulf.

As surprised as I am to find myself admitting it, I guess this shows Ninty have a good grasp of their marketting strategy, it just surprises me that they bunch big releases together like this, at least when it's not christmas. Surely they'd take sales from each other?
Ah well, they probably make that up with console sales...
Fri 19/12/03 at 15:47
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
yes, i am teaching myself...with the aid of a few websites.
right now i'm concentrating on the speech, then i'll try the text....learning all those thousands of kanji characters is going to take bloody ages.
Fri 19/12/03 at 15:02
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
dooz2k2 wrote:
> (going ever so slightly off topic)
> screw english, welsh, and any other crap....i've started learning
> japanese....i'll be getting games super early soon enough.(i want to
> live in Japan later on in life...when i've got enough money to live
> in a house larger than 1 metre cubed in volume.)

I've started reading Japanese, that's enough for me, you can get some very good Japanese to English dictionaries at the library, are you teaching yourself ?

It must be the only language where "no" has more characters than "yes"

Also there are some helpful chaps over on the www.ntsc-uk.com forums if you ever get stuck translating.
Fri 19/12/03 at 14:58
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
(going ever so slightly off topic)
screw english, welsh, and any other crap....i've started learning japanese....i'll be getting games super early soon enough.(i want to live in Japan later on in life...when i've got enough money to live in a house larger than 1 metre cubed in volume.)
Fri 19/12/03 at 12:01
Regular
Yep, there's access to English, even in the most remote valleys, but these areas are usually fiercely nationalistic, and there are a lot of people who make an effort to be 'true' to the welsh language.
For this, half a tv station and a few (including local) radio stations are enough.

It does happen, I've met people like this who really do struggle with English.
Fri 19/12/03 at 11:49
Regular
I'm sure they have TVs, Radio and other forms of audio and visual entertainment to learn language from though.

There is only 1 Welsh speaking channel in Wales, and half of that is in English.

As far as I am aware, BBC Cymru is the only Welsh speaking radio station.

As far as I am aware, all movies shown in welsh cinemas are in English.

It would be VERY difficult for them not to learn English, even in the more remote areas of Wales.

Sure, English may not be their first language, but they'll have a clear understanding of it atleast.
Fri 19/12/03 at 11:46
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> The market would be too small for them to translate to Welsh.

Obviously.

> The majority of the Welsh who speak Welsh can speak and understand
> English - I'd be suprised if there was any Welsh speakers who do
> not.

There are, at least not to a high standard. I explained it below, they grow up in welsh-speaking communities, very rarely speaking english. It's understandable that they aren't very good with it.
Fri 19/12/03 at 11:20
Regular
The market would be too small for them to translate to Welsh.

The majority of the Welsh who speak Welsh can speak and understand English - I'd be suprised if there was any Welsh speakers who do not.

Welsh, unlike French, German, etc, is a dying language, despite what the National Assembly of Wales think. They tried to force it upon me in school and I know only very basic Welsh - it is far easier to speak English in the only country to speak Welsh.

As much as the Welsh nationalists may disagree, English is the national language of wales now.
Fri 19/12/03 at 09:41
Regular
Presumably anyone with a US import will be able to check for themselves what languages software companies do translate into.

As for Canada - I'd expect it to be like Wales - the big majority of people do speak good English either first or second language, but there are some people who grow up in areas speaking exclusively French / Welsh, so very rarely speak much English, and thus suck at it.

So probably some Canadians who don't speak sufficient English, but then again, nobody translates games into Welsh.
Thu 18/12/03 at 23:58
Regular
There are chinease people in the UK does that mean we need the chinease language to?

Canadians mostly speak English as either a first or second language.

Last March we got Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 0 and Super Monkey Ball 2 as well as some other title I cannot quite remember.......
Thu 18/12/03 at 22:41
Regular
Yes but doesn't the US version also cover canada and other areas therefore requiring french and spanish translations aswell?

However the problem can easily be solved:

Where is Nintendo UK? Screw Europe!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.