GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo are the best!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/12/03 at 22:51
Regular
It doesn't matter what anyone says, what their opinions are on the GameCube, or how Nintendo have or haven't done in the past, at present, Nintendo ARE the best.

I sell games for a living. Working for a videogames retailer I sell games, advise customers and feel proud that my uniform has never involved baseball caps or grease. And from my experience from working in this shop, I have come to the conclusion that Nintendo are the best.

Why?

Is it because many people are buying Super Smash Bros. Melee on Player's Choice every day I'm in work?
Is it because many people are buying Super Mario Sunshine ever day I'm in work?
Is it because I am selling many a Mario Kart: Double Dash every day I'm in work?
Is it because many people are buying Mario & Luigi every day I'm in work?
Is it because many people are buying Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 every day I am in work?
Or is it because I am selling more GBA-SPs than any other system every day I'm in work?

Or maybe it is all of the above.

People are Nintendo mad now! MAinly the over 30s and the under 10s, but Nintendo seem to me to be VERY competetive at the moment. The teenagers seem to be buying the Xbox, mainly due to games like Rainbow Six 3, Halo and the Grand Theft Auto pack due to come out. Whereas the majority of people from poorer regions where my store is one of their local stores, seem to be buying the Playstation 2. Obviously, those are the main trends I have noticed in store - there are many people who don't follow suit, but that's what I have noticed.

Now to my first reason: Super Smash Bros. Melee. Although head office have been sparing with this title, we have been struggling to keep it as an available title, for it is selling almost all the time its out. It is the type of game that had amazing reviews, everyone wanted, but a lot didn't see it as worth spending £40 for it.

Super Mario Sunshine - Not my favourite Mario game by a long way, but it's still a great game! Customers again were a bit wary of paying £40 for what seemed to the average gamer as an average game, lacking innovation and snow levels, that make for a big seller. However, it being a Players Choice game has encourage many sales which, again, is making it a difficult one to keep in the shop!

Mario Kart: Double Dash is self explanatory. It's Mario Kart.

Mario & Luigi makes for an interesting big seller. Everyone seems to be after that as soon as I tell them that the Spyro game is more suited for girl-gamers. Most sales of the game where I work have been with a GBASP, and the others have been what kids have been asking their parents for, for Christmas. As is the same with Mario Advance 4.

As for the GBASPs themselves, I'm selling loads of them! More than I'm selling PS2s, more than I'm selling Xboxs, and more than I'm selling GameCubes. Sure, chances are that overall, more PS2s are gonna be sold than any other console - that's inevitable, but the British kids seem to be obsessed with the SP handheld! I personally don't consider the GBASP the best system to own, and I much prefer playing my GameCube and Xbox to it, but if it is keeping Nintendo as being the most profitable games company around, and providing Nintendo with the money to make even more Mario, Zelda and various other games from their famous franchises, then I'm happy and can still proudly say: Nintendo are the best.
Tue 23/12/03 at 20:03
Regular
"Baros!!!"
I find Nintendo do better games for a variety of types of games.

I was tempted to buy a PS2 because of the amount of racing games and the quality of them, but chose not to because there wasn't anything else besides those that interested me.

Nintendo have games like Zelda, Mario, and Super Monkey Ball, aswell as having Mario Kart:DD and Need for Speed.
Tue 23/12/03 at 19:36
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
i have always loved nintendo consoles and games, ever since i first got my NES, all those many many years ago.
For so long have i tried, in vain, to convince all my friends that nintendo is not kiddie, its not the worst console, that it shouldnt be instantly dismissed, but now, i've decided not to try. They want to stick to PS2 and x-box, then good for them.(i am not a fanboy, i own and enjoy my PS2, and i have played many games for x-box, and simply do not like it....i hate the controller especially.)

however, this christmas, one of my friends it seems, is getting a Gamecube from good 'ol Sandy Claws, and i've gotta say i'm happy. Just one more person owning one makes me happy. yay for me.
everyone else...lost causes, and not worth it.

oh, and my brother and I (15 and 17 respectively) are not in the 10>gamecube>30 range, but we still love it, so wheee!
Tue 23/12/03 at 10:43
Regular
I considered getting a PS2 this Christmas, but went against it because of it's lack of quality titles. My Gamecube and X-box are both more powerful, and I really do hate the Playstation Controller. Not sure if it was designed for human hands or not...

(*Also, there isn't enough room on me table to put it anywhere)
Tue 23/12/03 at 10:15
Regular
Mario & Luigi is genius, possibly my highlight of 2003. Although Zelda, Metroid Prime and Mario Kart may disagree :-D

As for Nintendo's upsurge in sales, I can't say I'm surprised. Even the most stupid of people, who get a PS2, GTA and the Getaway, will want soemthing new at some point, it just seems Nintendo are just in time to nick buyers off the XBox.

How the PS2 has survived so long with so little quality games is beyond me - but somehow, it has. Just around the corner may be the final aftermath of such a great run in sales though; it's not as though advertising is a problem anymore, both XBox and GameCube have current running adverts, along with a certain retailer helping them a tiny bit with special pre-order bonuses and giving GameCube the thumbs up for Christmas number 1.

And, as you know, once someone has a GameCube, more and more people will play and want it, and hopefully spread like wildfire. Contained wildfire, of course (hmmmmm....)

This could just be me in a rather optimistic state, perhaps I'm a little stupid, but I do believe the true consoles will shine through soon enough. If Nintendo revert to the N64 era, the kiddy stamp will be gone (correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the N64 was always considered more 'adult' than the PlayStation?)

With games liek Too Human, maybe Eternal Darkness 2 and Killer 7, this half a million (or however much it was) may have been put back until the real big guns are released.
Tue 23/12/03 at 00:39
"I love yo... lamp."
Edgy wrote:
> Profits don't necessarily need to be down for share values to drop.
>
> Many a time when I have checked the stock market, I have seen news
> articles stating how such a company is making record losses, yet
> their share value is the highest it has ever been.
>
> Although profits pay their part in the share market, there are other
> factors, as I have evidentally seen.

You are right. Some of my shares go down even when they make money.

It was just that Nintendo made a loss last year and that the shares are down over a third in the last year. In a recovering economy that is a horrible performance.
Tue 23/12/03 at 00:35
Regular
Edgy IN YOUR OPINION Nintendo are the best.

You can't present an opinion as fact.

Moan etc... moan.

Yes regarding GAME i do indeed see Gamecube software and hardware fly off the shelves. (in the city I go to uni there is a whopping 3 GAME stores).

It is actually apparent that the Gamecube is selling well enough for all retailers to re-stock their goods and for Nintendo to continue sipping from their diamon encrusted cups.

Virgin in Cambridge who previous discontinued Gamecube has all the latest titles now in stock.

And my local Choices have started re-stocking Gamecube items.

And of course we all heard about ARgos' back step.

Come on Dixons you know you want to.
Tue 23/12/03 at 00:27
Regular
"Booooom"
My bro got me started on Nintendo when he had the NES, I didnt really play that much, but when I was about 6 I was playing the SNES all the time. I have never bought a console that hasnt been produced by Nintendo.

Nintendo have always had the best quality games, and they are still going good considering everyone says That Nintendo are crap, Nintendo are kiddy and all this crap.

You could just have a look at most of the games made by nintendo and the graphics are absolutely amazing, then you go to PS2, the grpahics on that are very midiokre(sp?) X-Box has very good graphics and good power but they dont use it to their best ability.

Nintendo have and will always be the best IMO:)
Mon 22/12/03 at 23:28
"period drama"
I'd be happy to join you in your celebrations.
Now, I don't have any stats or anything, but I know what I'm feeling.

When I bought my PS2, it felt natural, the next logical step, and (to be honest) a little sterile. And the games too - it's not that I didn't get excited, far from it, before the releases of FFX and GTA3 in particular - but playing them was just meh.
It felt like I should be playing them, like some kind of duty, and all the sums added up to me having a good time.

Then I bought my GC. And before hand I was practically p!ssing myself with excitement.
And, yet again, the same goes with the games. Now I was having fun - everything Ninty touches turns to fun, enjoyable gaming. This was no duty, no equation eventually equalling enjoyment - it was raw fun. And I feel, although this sounds very sad, a little more individual playing a Ninty game.

Something to do with my particular age-group all being PS2 fanboys, I'm sure. I can sit back and feel smug that I'm going to have fun when I get home (though that's not for here *giggles*)

Yummy. More GC.

PS2, yeah sometimes. I want FFX-2 among others, but unless these games are absolute unmissable gems (Ico stands out in particular, though that example ages a little) it's NInty all the way.

*Waves flag*
Mon 22/12/03 at 23:23
Regular
Profits don't necessarily need to be down for share values to drop.

Many a time when I have checked the stock market, I have seen news articles stating how such a company is making record losses, yet their share value is the highest it has ever been.

Although profits pay their part in the share market, there are other factors, as I have evidentally seen.
Mon 22/12/03 at 23:21
"I love yo... lamp."
Nintendo.. profit..

Sorry. Couldn't help laughing at that. Try telling their poor share holders that. Might induce crying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.