GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I’ve decided not to get an Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/01/04 at 13:23
I’ve thought long and hard about this last night/this morning, and for the foreseeable future I won’t be getting an Xbox. The reason? Not entirely sure, but the most significant one I can come up with is that the games I could get (and want) on the Xbox can be bought on the PC or PS2, bar two or three. I then convinced myself further when I thought of the Xbox to PC controller converter that can be bought to simulate Xbox games on PCs. So what if it will take a while to configure? It’ll be worth it.

The final blow is that the console will be yet another considerable burden when packing up and moving – and as a student who already finds himself with too much stuff (the car was really under strain when moving), I guess I’ll leave it for now.

It does mean I’ll be missing some truly excellent games, such as Shenmue 2, JSR, the upcoming Fable and of course, Halo 2; not to mention getting a chance to sing to folk songs on French servers on Live!, or play RS with you lot, which most here seem to enjoy.

Oh well, at least the Xbox2 is backwards compatible, so eventually I’ll be able to play those games – but until then, I’m sticking with my three block setup.
Fri 09/01/04 at 19:17
Regular
"accidental superher"
oh yeah forgot about eternal darkness...i did get that (and traded it in)...it was alright...a bit easy though and i didn't find it scary at all
Fri 09/01/04 at 19:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Zelda has always had that save system.

ED is an excellent game, indeed.

VJ is genius, as is Metroid Prime.

KOTOR is the only game on Xbox where I haven't thought halfway through playing 'O, must check Broadband trigger levels again in a minute'...
Fri 09/01/04 at 18:38
Regular
Check out Eternal Darkness, ya should be able to pick it up for about 10 squids these days and it really is quite superb.
Fri 09/01/04 at 18:33
Regular
"accidental superher"
Cyclone wrote:
> Cube = Offline perfection
>
> My Xbox is currently promising me good offline stuff apart from JSRF
> and KOTOR, and hasn't delivered. Live is a way away.... plleeasse BT!

i disagree with you there....i've found my gamecube very underwhelming to say the least but that's probably more because i have all 3 consoles and a nice PC. i'll take my xbox (or even ps2) over the gamecube anyday. why??

all multiformat titles (bar a few like splinter cell) are better on the xbox in terms of graphics and sound (should you have a good sound system). so when buying games for ps2 and gc i normally have to look at the exclusives. and i personally (this is just an opinion) can't see much that i want.

starfox adventures was pap

i don't see what the great appeal of metroid prime is (but i've heard it's a love or hate thing) -i've still kept it so that should i want to try and like it...i can

zelda is pretty good but short...and hate how when you save and then switch off you get put right back to the beginning of that particular level with all the enemies respawned...cheap way of making it last longer imo.

mario sunshine is alright but the camera is a bit irritating...i've kept this too so i'll give it another go in the (hopefully) not too distant future

skies of arcadia legends - the reason i bought the gamecube...rocks!

PN03: pap

Viewtiful Joe: quite a cool game...i do like it but hate the save system -makes it more frustrating than challenging.

I do like the Resi evil games though - yes the controls are very dodgy but it's got good atmosphere.

and i've kept my gc for FF: crystal chronicles -though i've heard it ain't really as good but being the FF wh*re that i am...i'm still gonna get it. other than that...there ain't that much i'm looking forward to.
Fri 09/01/04 at 17:05
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Cube = Offline perfection

My Xbox is currently promising me good offline stuff apart from JSRF and KOTOR, and hasn't delivered. Live is a way away.... plleeasse BT!
Fri 09/01/04 at 17:02
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> I think the XBox exclusives like JSR: F, Panzer Dragoon Orta and the
> brilliant Live service (that I won't be abel to get) is certainly
> enough to warrant a purchase. Personally, I prefer the GameCube's
> line-up offline, but I'm sure Live whups anything either PS2 or
> GameCube has to offer.

It really doesn't actually.

It's good fun, but I still prefer the GameCube.
Fri 09/01/04 at 17:01
Regular
Kernal wrote:
> And by the way, latop upgrades are double the cost of pc upgrades.
> eg; I got my graphic card on pc 3 months ago £40
> If I would of had it for laptop, it would of cost me £65

Solid proof of your foolishness.
Thu 08/01/04 at 22:53
Regular
I think the XBox exclusives like JSR: F, Panzer Dragoon Orta and the brilliant Live service (that I won't be abel to get) is certainly enough to warrant a purchase. Personally, I prefer the GameCube's line-up offline, but I'm sure Live whups anything either PS2 or GameCube has to offer.

I suppose if all the games you REALLY want are released on the PC, there isn't much point, but it may be worth flicking through the titles that won't appear on the PC before disregarding the XBox.
Thu 08/01/04 at 22:39
Regular
sorry bout being rude Icarus but I actually dont give a sheet what you do mate.
Thu 08/01/04 at 22:37
Regular
"wats up doc?"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> For only £40 what did you get?

A G-FORCE 4 440MX. That was long time ago, I think I got it second hand but it was the best at the time. Right now, I think its G-FORCE FX or something like that. Anyway, it was just a example.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.