GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Emotions in games... ever?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/08/01 at 17:02
Regular
Will you ever be able to feel true emotions when playing games? And I'm not talking about that "I feel sorry for him" rubbish. I mean crying as you see your best friend die in your arms. That is the question that has always plagued games.

And if it were possible how do we acheive it? How can you make a gamer feel so involved in the game world that they will respond in the same way as in real life. Even films struggle to evoke emotions. And to video games' disadvantages is that most games players are men. It is a fact of life that men do not show emotions... least of all fear, sadness or sorrow.

I myslef am a man. I had no care for Leo's death in Titanic, nor did I stir when I saw the Blair Witch Project. In fact I laughed when the film finnished in the fact that it didn't evoke any feelings other than feeling motion sick from all the running around.

So, if you cannot evoke feelings in a well established media like films, then how can games compete? To quote on ganme designer: "If I could make people cry when they are playing my game, I would be hailed as the greatest game designer of all time". Clearly simply attaching a peripheral to severe a players toes is out of the question.

There is an answer to this. Make the story so involving that the player feels like he is in a real world. In order to involve you so much, you need two things. Firstly, you need to be in control of the character completely, and feel what he feels. This involves cretaing a new way of interaction between the player and game. Secondly, the plot must be involving. So far the only way to do this is by pre-determined FMV sequences that totally destroy the impersion the player is feeling.

A catch 22? Well, If I could solve the question then I would be the greatest games designer ever.
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:02
Will you ever be able to feel true emotions when playing games? And I'm not talking about that "I feel sorry for him" rubbish. I mean crying as you see your best friend die in your arms. That is the question that has always plagued games.

And if it were possible how do we acheive it? How can you make a gamer feel so involved in the game world that they will respond in the same way as in real life. Even films struggle to evoke emotions. And to video games' disadvantages is that most games players are men. It is a fact of life that men do not show emotions... least of all fear, sadness or sorrow.

I myslef am a man. I had no care for Leo's death in Titanic, nor did I stir when I saw the Blair Witch Project. In fact I laughed when the film finnished in the fact that it didn't evoke any feelings other than feeling motion sick from all the running around.

So, if you cannot evoke feelings in a well established media like films, then how can games compete? To quote on ganme designer: "If I could make people cry when they are playing my game, I would be hailed as the greatest game designer of all time". Clearly simply attaching a peripheral to severe a players toes is out of the question.

There is an answer to this. Make the story so involving that the player feels like he is in a real world. In order to involve you so much, you need two things. Firstly, you need to be in control of the character completely, and feel what he feels. This involves cretaing a new way of interaction between the player and game. Secondly, the plot must be involving. So far the only way to do this is by pre-determined FMV sequences that totally destroy the impersion the player is feeling.

A catch 22? Well, If I could solve the question then I would be the greatest games designer ever.
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:04
Regular
"I dnt wnt a Tagline"
You wrote all this in 2 minutes?
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:10
Regular
"smile, it's free"
What's the betting he went offline after posting them, too?
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:10
What?
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:11
VenomByte wrote:
> What's the betting he went offline after posting them, too?

errrrr... Don't speak about people in the third person when they are present!
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:13
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Chill, how were they supposed to know you were online?
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:14
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Yeah right Logan, you must have cheated.
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:15
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I stand corrected.

Just a hunch, but I think people prefer it if you spread out your new threads over a longer period of time, else it looks like your trying a "GAD rush".
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:16
well, seeing as some people have an average of 50 posts a day I thought it was the norm
Sun 19/08/01 at 17:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Logan wrote:
> well, seeing as some people have an average of 50 posts a day I
> thought it was the norm

Yeah, but not new topics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.