GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox samsung Drive"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/01/04 at 09:35
Regular
Hi guys, I'm a noob so be gentle ;P

I have an Xbox, out of warranty and the Drive is on it's way out (saying discs are dirty etc.)

I have tried the old lens cleaner approach, but to no avail.

A friend of mine has a chipped Xbox (which I'm amused to say has broken on him completely!)

Now, before sending my Xbox off for repair, or buying a new one, can you answer me this - If I was to take his Samsung drive (which I have heard are the best models) and replace my faulty one with his, will it work? There won't be any compatibility errors or anything will there? Just a straight swap I'm hoping for.

It's really just a last-ditch attempt at saving moolah.

Thanks for your help.
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:58
Regular
Sony suck. well, no they're ok actually, I just have resentment as my PS2 died last year, at it's peak (i.e. when I was just getting into vice city).
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:58
Regular
I've had mine since launch too. Only thing I've ever played.
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:57
Regular
Since launch. Even though, at the time, I swore I wouldn't leave Sony!

Damn my naieve(?) loyalties!
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:51
Regular
Silver Shadow wrote:
> Yeah it's well annoying! I must admit though, my Xbox has had a LOT of
> use! I should have seen it coming.

how long did you have it before it popped its clogs?
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:50
Regular
Yeah it's well annoying! I must admit though, my Xbox has had a LOT of use! I should have seen it coming.
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:47
Regular
Silver Shadow wrote:
> Thanks. I have a lot of experience of Hardware installation and I've
> seen the inside of an Xbox, so know the setup etc.

you shouldn't have too much trouble then I would imagine. like Icarus says, you may as well have a crack, then send it back if need be.

I'm not sure what drive is in mine, but I believe the one that got replaced was a thompson, which are known for being very unreliable. I haven't read up on samsung, but they usually turn out decent products.

Mine was only 9 months old when it packed up though, which is pretty damn ridiculous.
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:44
Regular
Thanks. I have a lot of experience of Hardware installation and I've seen the inside of an Xbox, so know the setup etc.

I may give it a try first off, but jhust need to know if it will go straight in without and problems (i.e be instantly recognised by the system).

If not, I have no choice but to send it in - should be cheaper than buying a new Xbox anyway!
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:41
Just try it. It's just an IDE cable connecting it, right? If it doesn't work, phone Customer services for repair.
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:40
Regular
I sent mine off last week (it was under warranty), as it just stopped playing games and DVDs completely. My advice is to just send it off, I got it back in a few days good as new. Really good service, and it works much better than before - loads quicker and everything.

As it's out of warranty it's gonna cost you, I've no idea how much. You can replace the drive with a new one yourself, here is a good resource for guides on how to do that :

http://llamma.com/xbox/

If it was me, I'd send it back, as I don't have much patience with fiddly things and would probably knacker it up.
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:39
"Dogs rule,Cats drul"
Ha ha you said you were a n00b.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.