GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox samsung Drive"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/01/04 at 09:35
Regular
Hi guys, I'm a noob so be gentle ;P

I have an Xbox, out of warranty and the Drive is on it's way out (saying discs are dirty etc.)

I have tried the old lens cleaner approach, but to no avail.

A friend of mine has a chipped Xbox (which I'm amused to say has broken on him completely!)

Now, before sending my Xbox off for repair, or buying a new one, can you answer me this - If I was to take his Samsung drive (which I have heard are the best models) and replace my faulty one with his, will it work? There won't be any compatibility errors or anything will there? Just a straight swap I'm hoping for.

It's really just a last-ditch attempt at saving moolah.

Thanks for your help.
Thu 15/01/04 at 21:12
Regular
"BOSE"
i put a lense cleaner in my xbox, that stopped it from reading every format of CD. the bloke said xbox people would fix it because not many people thought that would damage a console. good lad! :-)
Mon 12/01/04 at 22:14
"slightlyshortertagl"
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

I have a Thompson

*breaks down*
Mon 12/01/04 at 21:26
Regular
"\\"
Open up the cup holder and you can tell by the shape of the hole in the middle. There's a topic on it, on another forum showing what the different drives look like, dunno where though, i think it might be www.xboxrules.com/co.uk (one of the two).

I've got a Thompson one and it's only crashed on me once, but then i should have expected it as i crammed as many cheats as i could into one game of vice city... That was fun.
Mon 12/01/04 at 20:24
"slightlyshortertagl"
How do you know if your XBox has a Samsung in it without opening the biatch up?
Mon 12/01/04 at 13:19
"I love yo... lamp."
Samsungs are the best, last the longest and have the least errors. It should work, just a straight swap, as everything else about the Xbox is built to a standard pattern.

The only possible problem I could think of would be if there was some sort of EEPROM that had a product key sourced from serial numbers of all the other parts, but that would mean it would have to be reset in the case of any other hardware failing, which would make it overly complicated. So I doubt that. It's worth a shot at the very least if it is out of warranty.
Mon 12/01/04 at 10:17
Regular
I hope so too! I've seen it in action - and the amount of supported games completely dominate PS2's mundane selection!

One-player Rainbow Six and PGR2 is doing the trick for now anyway!
Mon 12/01/04 at 10:13
Regular
oh well, maybe sometime in the near future ....
Mon 12/01/04 at 10:12
Regular
If only I had Broadband! We're *just* out of coverage for it. How annoying.
Mon 12/01/04 at 10:10
Regular
yeah, the best thing for me about the xbox has to be Live though. fan-frikkin-tastic
Mon 12/01/04 at 10:00
Regular
I sold my PS2 to buy my Xbox. No regrets!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.