GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Flash websites for web design compainies."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/08/01 at 12:12
Regular
These days, you go to a web design company website and 9 times out of 10 it will be done in Flash. “Why?” I ask myself. The whole skill of web designing is working with the restrictions of HTML and creating good-looking websites without “cheating” and using layers. All these Flash sites make me wonder if they are trying to cover something up.

Who knows, but it’s really peeing me off.
Tue 21/08/01 at 15:39
Loaded the main site IN 1min 30 sec then each section after that takes another 15-30 seconds not to bad, but what you have to remember is that there are still people out there with 14k modems(sad but true).

I'm not putting flash down it is a grate tool to use but you are still limiting your audience.

1) We shouldn't be telling people what they need to view our sites instead we should give them the choice of how to view them.

IE: this site is best viewed using Armadillos on Line 6.2
At 1200x2400 res.

2)IF Joe Public hasn't got the latest version of Aol(lmao) do you think he's gonna be that bothered that he can't see your site.

3)And one thing I am sure of having worked for people like it. The lets spend some money decision makers aren't always up with us on the Aol 6.2. It really does have to be seen to be believed.

And as a foot note I had a look at thier folio and they do some amazing work.
Tue 21/08/01 at 01:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I gave it a minute to load and gave up. That's one reason why I think flash shouldn't be used for whole websites.
Tue 21/08/01 at 00:01
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
...think, it did take quite a while to load, but how good did it look??? Any page able to do that with basic HTML??? ... didn't think so :o).
Mon 20/08/01 at 22:35
Regular
"How Handy."
It didn't take an age to load, but it took longer than other sites do.

Flash isn't all bad, I'm using it in my GAD site for a start!
Mon 20/08/01 at 22:22
Regular
""
now what can I rabbit on about next? Bring it onnnn!

:)
Mon 20/08/01 at 22:20
Regular
""
So, I'm winning some of you over?

You can bookmark the first page, the page that loads the flash, but thats it. Theres hundreds of pages on the site all running from the one page. But come onnnnn. I can show you a hundred sites just as good. I'm using a 56k modem and it loads just fine for me, Whooo. ;)

All you guys who wanted a web design competition... I'm waiting to see your HTML-only sites. And then I'll laugh!!

Seriously, I'm winding ye all up. But its a taster of how the 'net is evolving. Turbonutter can't go saying that HTML is the be all and end all. It's not 'cheating'. It's not hiding anything. In a years time there will be something bigger and better. Now we, as webdesigners need to look forward to this and change with the times. Otherwise you'll get left behind dudes.
Mon 20/08/01 at 19:53
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
...that looks v.cool.

But, really, HTML is needed in a Web Page, thats what would embed a Flash item into it, so you can bookmark Flash Sites.
Mon 20/08/01 at 18:05
Regular
"How Handy."
Yeah, that is a great site when it finally loads :-)
Mon 20/08/01 at 14:12
Regular
"..."
ajg wrote:
> boys, boys, boys. Perhaps I didn't explain myself too well
> there.

check this site out - http://www.2advanced.com

Easynow! That site is so good it makes me sick! Flash Rocks! :)
Mon 20/08/01 at 11:25
Regular
""
boys, boys, boys. Perhaps I didn't explain myself too well there.

check this site out - http://www.2advanced.com

It ain't my site. Dunno whos it is, but if you can do anything close to this with the same download speed in HTML, I'll buy you all a beer.

Seriously. It just ain't possible. OK, you can't bookmark Flash sites. But thats hardly enough to convince me. Look at it. Its not just a webpage, its so much more than that. The design is 1st class, the speed is top-notch, and it gives the user the information they want.

I agree, people want fast download times for the pages they're viewing, but the majority of surfers also want to be entertained. TV ad making techniques have evolved. So have websites. HTML is all very nice for simple infomation sites, but that just ain't enough these days.

Why limit yourself and your webpages. Combine technologies and enhance them and garanteed, people will come back again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.