GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All Quiet On the Nintendo Front"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/01/04 at 18:42
Regular
Thought last year was amazing? Can't wait to see what is in store for us this year?

Well round about nothing new will be appearing... at least not until Christmas... from Nintendo... I should imagine. Nintendo and their fantastic army of 2nd party monsters will be working as hard as possible in creating some of THE best titles for upcoming system codenamed: N5.

Nintendo cunningly declared a delay in a large selection of their first and second party titles last year, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, a game Dennis Dyack, head of Silicon Knights, swore would be ready for Christmast, was pushed back. Could Mr. Dyack really be a liar? Far from it, in fact the game was ready to ship by the end of the year but Nintendo opted to leave it for the Easter market.

Miyamoto has barley mentioned his baby sequel, the frankly fantastic Pikmin 2, the reason? He's finished it, it's done and dusted. The reason for it's spring delay is basically to fill up time. After contacting third parties Nintendo would have been aware that the first half of 2004 would be deserted. Japanese mega hit Harvest Moon would appear as would EA's James Bond title... but that is a poor show.

In order to fill up European and American release schedules games such as Pikmin 2, Donkey Konga, Mario Golf (European), Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Kirby's Air Ride and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes were delayed to help make 2004 a fantastic year. Naturally third party smashes with Harvest Moon, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia, Code Veronica, Everything or Nothing and Sonic Heroes will make this apparent lack hardly noticable (despite their being 3 AAA titles amongst the big list).

But it is the latter of 2004 that shows the most interesting results. Here we have first party Metroid Prime 2 for America and Europe being the big Christmas game whilst the Japanese have Zelda Wind Waker 2 (although never count out Mario). Other first party titles are in fact small GBA-GC connection games such as the special Zelda pack. Expect Mario Tennis and Mario Party 6 to appear to. It is up to the third parties to help the second half of 2004 for Nintendo to look good... can they do it?

Easily.

Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 from Capcom is a great start, Starfox 2 from Namco will continue the great trend, other titles from Konami will start appearing, Geist will hopefully show up (unless they're scared away by X-boxes big guns Halo 2, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 this year) and not to mention the Pokemon games (expect Colleseium to kick a$$). And they're just the exclusive third party games don't forget some undeniable Ubi-soft classics... maybe XIII 2.

Naturally that is to far away to predict brilliantly. The BIG thing for Nintendo this year will be that product they are hyping up, could this really save the big N from an ever loosening hold?

What will we see at E3, and if it isn't the next generation of Nintendo consoles is there going to be a Spaceworld this year?

"2004 the year Nintendo fight back" - Satouri Iwati.
Sun 18/01/04 at 11:52
Dringo wrote:

>
> It will take a hell of a lot to actually defeat Nintendo and their
> die hard fan base.
>

Something like the competition from Sony in addition to Microsoft's endless budget then? Think that would be enough?
Sun 18/01/04 at 11:49
Regular
Yukikaze wrote:
> What do we have from Nintendo? Promises of another console being
> released, despite the Gamecube being the newest of the current
> consoles and it's power barely explored by anyone but Nintendo. At a
> recent event Sony officials announced that they had found that most
> PS2 games only use around 30% of the machines potential, whilst at
> most a few used 60%, and that is after 4 years! And look at the
> quality of the games!

What do we have from Nintendo?

A promise of backwards compatibility for the GameCube. A focus on developing games in new dimensions (i.e. they say a graphical plateau has almost been reached, so improving graphics will not be their priority), and the guarantee of several (not just one, several) revolutionary gaming surprises. And Dringo's already pointed out that they appear to be well into the development process of the new console.

That sounds pretty exciting to me.
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:52
Regular
Yukikaze, for 4 generations Nintendo have survived... when the spectrum fell... Nintendo stood... when Atari fell... Nintendo stood, when the amiga fell... Nintendo stood. When SEGA fell Nintendo stood....

It will take a hell of a lot to actually defeat Nintendo and their die hard fan base.

As for Tilt.... erm so a year where Nintendo released Zelda, Metroid and Mario Kart, attracting some of the best ever third party support they've ever had, resident evil 0, soul calibur 2... grabbed the Sonic series.... created GBA connectivity properly, improved third party ties across the board, took number one place in america and Japan several times and created some of the best games ever.... wasn't a good year for you?
Sun 18/01/04 at 10:21
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Y'know, when I read the original topic I thought it was some kind of dark comedy/parody thing, but then I realised he's being serious...

In my opinion this is more like "2004 - The year Nintendo could follow Sega" - the PSP is going to run away with the handheld market, at least in the higher age groups of around 16+ (the ones who actually buy games at times other than birthday, christmas and holidays).

The Gamecube's sales have only been bouyed by massive price cutting on a system which is already a blackhole for money across the board, not to mention Nintendo successfully p*ssed off most independent retailers in doing the price cut because they were left with stock they could not afford to discount...

Delaying their major titles was idiocy beyond comprehension, as every other console lined up the big guns for Xmas Nintendo instead delays theirs. I actually have a leaflet I picked up in GAME in 2002 with "preorder Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for 2003" on... Sure, Nintendo diehards will wait for these games (though it's questionable how a barely imrpoved psone game - Metal Gear Solid - is going to help things along when Sony release Metal Gear Solid 3 this year) but it is not these people who Nintendo need to win over. As for Pokemon? Yeah it'll sell, but not to the market Sony and Microsoft are chasing, and that is where the money is right now and for the considerable future. By promising backward compatibility in future machines both these companies are effectively capturing future markets and winning the next round before it begins.

What do we have from Nintendo? Promises of another console being released, despite the Gamecube being the newest of the current consoles and it's power barely explored by anyone but Nintendo. At a recent event Sony officials announced that they had found that most PS2 games only use around 30% of the machines potential, whilst at most a few used 60%, and that is after 4 years! And look at the quality of the games!

Yes, a great E3 announcement may be around the corner, but then I remember last year's great showpiece. The Pacman game featuring GBA interconnectivity. This piece of software was given around 20 minutes coverage at the Nintendo E3 event, more than any other single thing, and yet it ended up as a bundled freebie with a mediocre Pacman game, and with R:racing Evolution which is not even out in the country until March. Hardly significant was it? And let us not forget other ideas such as the much vaunted E-Reader which has slipped into obscurity without even being released in the UK, and which has serious problems when used on a GBA SP at the same time as the GC GBA link cable (as in you can't do it).

And yet it could be so different, if Nintendo would just get a clue. I wonder sometimes if their market research is done by a YTS kid who never leaves the office...
Sun 18/01/04 at 09:27
Regular
Looking at the games released next year, there are a lot that I intend to get; at least 20 or so.

But the problem is, they could so easily be crap games. I have hope that games like Geist, StarFox 2, Pikmin 2 and Killer 7 will all be great titles, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. You could just as easily say that Sony have a great line-up for this year, as they surely have some promising titles, it's all down to execution though.

Oh, and Metal Gear Solid will suck nuts, even with the help of Silicon Knights.
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:34
"period drama"
Yea, Harvest Moon shall keep many a country boy warm for the night.
Serious w00tage, if ever there was.
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:31
Regular
Whatever happened to 'Gamecube Wars'?

Hrmmm...
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Harvest Moon is all one needs.

'VARMINTSSS!'

I shall be yelling that many a time.

Arrrr!

Hmmm. The next Zelda game?!!! Not so sure about that. Metroid Prime 2 seems to be awfully quick as well, but no complaints as long as it's even (possible?!) better. Geist should turn up and be completely utterly revolutionary and stunning and blow Half-Life 2 away and become the greatest game ever, all with little hype......but huuuuge sales.

Yus.
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:01
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
> "2004 the year Nintendo fight back" - Satouri Iwati.

I really hope so.
Sat 17/01/04 at 20:55
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dringo wrote:
> Satouri Iwati.

Who?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.